Crashed my P3P. I effed up and flew too far in high wind.

Do you not see any problem with what you did? Ditching in a backyard? Flying where helicopters Your argument about real estate video holds no water. If you get paid to fly a drone, you are licensed to do so.

Do you not see anything wrong with your actions? Is it ok to crash land in someone's yard because of your recklessness? Is it someone else's fault that you're flying where it is known that helicopters and small planes fly all the time? In answer to Your question about shooting real estate video, in order to fly a drone commercially, you have to be licensed and insured in case of damage caused. I don't suppose you are shooting any real estate video.

I do see a problem (something wrong) with what I did. See the title of the thread. In this country, the phrase "effed up" indicates a mistake, error, or accident. It is colloquially used in place of a slang term that is found offensive by some people. I wanted to mitigate the offensiveness of my post by using that terminology as opposed to the actual phrase. The preceding "I" indicates the notion of a conceptual grasp of ownership. I apologize for confusing you by making you think I did not see anything wrong. There is also a phrase that rhymes with "ron't be a rick." I am sure it has been said to you before. It means that you should be nicer than you are. Welcome to America! You are welcome.

And... you are completely right. The wind is the same at ground level as it is AGL when you have a license. I anxiously await my 333 or a change in the law so I will never run into that sort of issue again. Licensed pilots never crash and that is a good thing.

The real estate question was... a question. It was not an argument. I wasn't trying to get anything to hold water. What I was wondering is this: Are licensed pilots with the proper exemptions allowed to ignore the regulations? If not, how on earth could they do any real estate photos or videos in areas that are populated? Again, I apologize if you are unable to understand. Keep working on your interpersonal skills and you will get there. I have confidence in you!

I am financially responsible for all of my actions. If the gentleman whose property I landed on wanted any kind of restitution, I would have happily complied. In fact, he wanted a six pack of beer. I got two twelve packs and brought it back to him. Then he invited me to stay for a cookout. Not a bunch of ill will and no damage AT ALL was done. That is why I veered when I saw the screened lanai/pool area. It worked out perfectly fine and did not cost me a new drone due to a water crash. I do disagree with you that landing in that guy's (Jerry's) back yard was a problem. Move to the beach and you will meet all sorts of laid back folks. Only the tourists are .... rhymes with "rickbags". Everyone else is "come on in" kind of cool. I can sense that you won't understand that, either.

And finally, regarding your "Is it someone else's fault that you're flying where it is known that helicopters and small planes fly all the time?" question: I do not think it could possibly be someone else's fault where I choose to fly. Unless I fly under duress. I don't ever see that happening, though. The beach-buzzers fly from Albert Whitted and Clearwater. Their paths do not cross the area I was flying in. The fact that one was visible in the distance is immaterial to the notion that I was interfering with anything. If it were, then many non-rural drone videos out there would be a sign of danger. Many of them DO see people, cars, planes, birds, etc. from a distance but that does not mean that they are endangering them. Insinuating that is asinine. Wait... no. It's not. It's assiTEN. You upped the average on assiness.

Now... go have a cocktail and relax. I am.

Someone commented saying you've got a good attitude, I disagree, your ignorance is worrying if i'm honest. Just glad you don't live anywhere near me because you are an accident waiting to happen and will probably have all the excuses under the sun when it does.

There was a kid here in the UK who recently had his eyeball shredded by a drone, you should be ok though as there were no kids, no people, no cars, no wind, no flight paths. What a joker

Someone commented saying you've got a good attitude, I disagree, your ignorance is worrying if i'm honest. Just glad you don't live anywhere near me because you are an accident waiting to happen and will probably have all the excuses under the sun when it does.

There was a kid here in the UK who recently had his eyeball shredded by a drone, you should be ok though as there were no kids, no people, no cars, no wind, no flight paths. What a joker
A good attitude to taking criticism, not to flying. Read it again!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Well gents, I am truly sorry I posted this in the first place. I came to this site/forum last year and lurked around, just reading posts. I had started flying a "dumb" drone; no GPS, no FPV, no compass. It was four props with a 12-minute flight time and a crappy camera. I did all my "learning" inside my house. No one but me and my property were at risk. Eventually, I took it to some wide open areas (local parks) during the day when no one was around. I wanted to fly in areas larger than my living room and I wanted to learn to deal with wind. I do not think I ever took that thing more than 100 feet away from me and no more than 50 feet above the ground. It was ONLY VLOS, up close. Anyway... so as a new Phantom owner and lurker on the forum, I saw that a lot of people had a lot of good information to share. Sometimes, the good information was a result of an error or an "eff up" on the pilot's part. Sometimes, a possible equipment malfunction. Sometimes, just a convergence of unanticipated issues. I was appreciative of the people that willingly shared their mistakes because it had the potential to teach me something. As a reader who was/is looking to learn more and enjoy this activity, I mostly read the informational posts and ignored the replies that were clearly aimed at insulting the original poster(s). I never had any interest in reading people's comments who were trying to be our drone-world fathers and policemen. Especially, when they use condescension in their tones. That's just never productive. Ever. Not in person or online.

So, I decided to share my error. My "eff up". There were a number of valuable lessons I learned from that flight. I intended to highlight the importance of checking wind at the various altitudes as opposed to just at ground level. I sort of hoped the discussion would go down that road and then open into some other areas of discussion. KingLuff might have had some good input regarding how and when to opt for a water-ditching. Or, maybe, sfgiants might have had some constructive input on when not to fly based on one's distance to other aircraft. Or maybe someone would have offered up some ideas on how to look at wind at different altitudes. Maybe someone with more experience than I have could have said, "You know if you hover at a particular height and notice that the blades keep appearing in your display, you might be fighting wind." Or, "Here is a good app for checking wind and here is the function you use to see it at different altitudes." Or, "In addition to those apps, here are some websites you can use to verify the accuracy of wind data." Or, "You can gauge wind speed and direction by looking at _______." Or, "If the wind speed is at _____, you will use ____ times the amount battery when going against it."

There are a lot of ways this thread could have gone that would have actually been constructive.

Instead of using the thread for any educational value for newer fliers, it got derailed into a finger-pointing / holier-than-thou sort of thing. That type of behavior on any forum creates a huge dis-incentive for participants to share their errors in an attempt to help other people. It does not result in fostering discussions that might help people think through things. This is clearly not a constructive forum. I am not willing to subject myself to the negativity since I can too easily get sucked into it. I totally got sucked into it with these guys. So, for my defensiveness, I apologize. Like an 8th grader with new pubes, I let myself get all worked up over a couple of posts that I saw as negative, condescending, and mean spirited.

Back to lurking for me. This is a wonderful forum from the lurking perspective since it's so much easier to ignore the BS and the "I know it all" or "wish you lost your drone" attitudes from the negative folks. If any of you want to see the video for educational or curiousity purposes and can keep any negativity you have inside you to yourself, private message me and I will send you a link to it.

Well gents, I am truly sorry I posted this in the first place. I came to this site/forum last year and lurked around, just reading posts. I had started flying a "dumb" drone; no GPS, no FPV, no compass. It was four props with a 12-minute flight time and a crappy camera. I did all my "learning" inside my house. No one but me and my property were at risk. Eventually, I took it to some wide open areas (local parks) during the day when no one was around. I wanted to fly in areas larger than my living room and I wanted to learn to deal with wind. I do not think I ever took that thing more than 100 feet away from me and no more than 50 feet above the ground. It was ONLY VLOS, up close. Anyway... so as a new Phantom owner and lurker on the forum, I saw that a lot of people had a lot of good information to share. Sometimes, the good information was a result of an error or an "eff up" on the pilot's part. Sometimes, a possible equipment malfunction. Sometimes, just a convergence of unanticipated issues. I was appreciative of the people that willingly shared their mistakes because it had the potential to teach me something. As a reader who was/is looking to learn more and enjoy this activity, I mostly read the informational posts and ignored the replies that were clearly aimed at insulting the original poster(s). I never had any interest in reading people's comments who were trying to be our drone-world fathers and policemen. Especially, when they use condescension in their tones. That's just never productive. Ever. Not in person or online.

So, I decided to share my error. My "eff up". There were a number of valuable lessons I learned from that flight. I intended to highlight the importance of checking wind at the various altitudes as opposed to just at ground level. I sort of hoped the discussion would go down that road and then open into some other areas of discussion. KingLuff might have had some good input regarding how and when to opt for a water-ditching. Or, maybe, sfgiants might have had some constructive input on when not to fly based on one's distance to other aircraft. Or maybe someone would have offered up some ideas on how to look at wind at different altitudes. Maybe someone with more experience than I have could have said, "You know if you hover at a particular height and notice that the blades keep appearing in your display, you might be fighting wind." Or, "Here is a good app for checking wind and here is the function you use to see it at different altitudes." Or, "In addition to those apps, here are some websites you can use to verify the accuracy of wind data." Or, "You can gauge wind speed and direction by looking at _______." Or, "If the wind speed is at _____, you will use ____ times the amount battery when going against it."

There are a lot of ways this thread could have gone that would have actually been constructive.

Instead of using the thread for any educational value for newer fliers, it got derailed into a finger-pointing / holier-than-thou sort of thing. That type of behavior on any forum creates a huge dis-incentive for participants to share their errors in an attempt to help other people. It does not result in fostering discussions that might help people think through things. This is clearly not a constructive forum. I am not willing to subject myself to the negativity since I can too easily get sucked into it. I totally got sucked into it with these guys. So, for my defensiveness, I apologize. Like an 8th grader with new pubes, I let myself get all worked up over a couple of posts that I saw as negative, condescending, and mean spirited.

Back to lurking for me. This is a wonderful forum from the lurking perspective since it's so much easier to ignore the BS and the "I know it all" or "wish you lost your drone" attitudes from the negative folks. If any of you want to see the video for educational or curiousity purposes and can keep any negativity you have inside you to yourself, private message me and I will send you a link to it.

Tim, on this forum you could say "I fed a hungry child today" and SOMEONE would say or imply you were an idiot over and over and over. Be glad you don't have to live with them every day and keep flying. Thanks for sharing your mistake and it will make me mindful to watch my battery power closer.

Reactions: rskardon
Unfortunately, you'll have this kind of conflict in global forums. All walks of life and everybody has an opinion. Sometimes, things are taken out of context and you may decipher it wrong and take it as banter. It's hard to tell the attitude of someone posting without actually hearing them say it. Fact is, regardless of your position to the forum, we're all amateurs for the most part. I found a lot of negativity from others on this forum as well. Instead of offering helpful advice, they bash you and make you feel or sound like an idiot. We're all human and we all make mistakes. No one here is perfect. I belong on about 4 different forums pertaining to different things and this is one of them. The others are pretty much the same. Too many chiefs and not enough braves. I remain a member on these forums because every once in a while, you'll get the information you're looking for without being attacked.

Ignore the bull and absorb the good and never take it personally. :)

Last edited:
True,

Plus you have educational, socioeconomic, cultural, maturity, and other issues as well.

Reactions: Tim in Florida
Regardless of a global forum, cultural differences etc the simple fact is the guy is a hazard to his neighbourhood.

And the hits keep coming. When I realized I was landing with 13% battery and was coming down in a back yard with a pool, I was pretty freaked out. I was so thankful that no one got hurt. It was a bonus to have my bird intact, as well. And the guys whose yard I landed (tree-crashed) in is now my new friend. I am much less of a danger after having had this experience. Lots of lessons learned from that experience.

KingLuff - do you have any constructive feedback that you would be willing share?

Yes lots actually. Don't fly near people, don't fly near houses, don't fly near cars and roads. I mean, a chopper flew relatively close in your video too and you still think that all I am doing is picking on you or something, I just see a drone pilot who doesn't care for the rules and thinks that because a guy was cool about it crash landing in his garden then everything must be ok. Seriously, I just hope that you don't think I'm trolling you because I'm nasty or because..... I don't know. I'm only pointing out that you are dangerous and from your earlier replies it seems that you just didn't care, maybe I got that wrong, it's hard to gauge conversation on a forum

South. Florida (East Coast anyway) is so crowded, there's few places to fly by the rules. Only place to fly not near people, not near houses, not near cars and roads is over the ocean (way out) or way out over the everglades with the gators

South. Florida (East Coast anyway) is so crowded, there's few places to fly by the rules. Only place to fly not near people, not near houses, not near cars and roads is over the ocean (way out) or way out over the everglades with the gators
It's almost impossible not to break the rules in most countries but there's breaking the rules and then breaking the rules. You don't buy a fast car and speed through London because there is no where else to do it, you go out and speed somewhere safe

Yes lots actually. Don't fly near people, don't fly near houses, don't fly near cars and roads. I mean, a chopper flew relatively close in your video too and you still think that all I am doing is picking on you or something, I just see a drone pilot who doesn't care for the rules and thinks that because a guy was cool about it crash landing in his garden then everything must be ok. Seriously, I just hope that you don't think I'm trolling you because I'm nasty or because..... I don't know. I'm only pointing out that you are dangerous and from your earlier replies it seems that you just didn't care, maybe I got that wrong, it's hard to gauge conversation on a forum
I get your point. I do sincerely apologize for getting so worked up and defensive. I went into smart-***/jackass mode and I really shouldn't have. It got none of us any closer to a valuable discussion of any kind. I do believe that I am far safer than this thread would allow you to believe but I don't want to keep an argument going.

I am going to start another thread to actually discuss the issue with that flight and the specific things I learned from it. My hope and intent is that someone newer at this than me might learn something. I also hope, that through constructive discussion, I might learn something. I would welcome your comments and thoughts. You seem truly passionately interested in this hobby/sport and keeping it safe. Again, I apologize for being rude and defensive and I hope we can engage in smoother conversations going forward.

[emoji22][emoji22][emoji22][emoji22][emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Lesson learned buddy!!! Don't let all the guys that clam they only fly there drone in there yard at 20ft hight get u all worked up. Everyone has flown over something they shouldn't have so for your own peace of mind just use it as a learning experience.

It's almost impossible not to break the rules in most countries but there's breaking the rules and then breaking the rules. You don't buy a fast car and speed through London because there is no where else to do it, you go out and speed somewhere safe
Lol break the law somewhere u chose that is safe. Wow. And u were just bad mouthing him. Smh

I get your point. I do sincerely apologize for getting so worked up and defensive. I went into smart-***/jackass mode and I really shouldn't have. It got none of us any closer to a valuable discussion of any kind. I do believe that I am far safer than this thread would allow you to believe but I don't want to keep an argument going.

I am going to start another thread to actually discuss the issue with that flight and the specific things I learned from it. My hope and intent is that someone newer at this than me might learn something. I also hope, that through constructive discussion, I might learn something. I would welcome your comments and thoughts. You seem truly passionately interested in this hobby/sport and keeping it safe. Again, I apologize for being rude and defensive and I hope we can engage in smoother conversations going forward.
Yeah and i'm sorry if I came across as a troll, we're on the same team here! Happy flying, enjoy and be safe!

Reactions: Tim in Florida
What is Phantom Pilots?

PhantomPilots.com is a resource for the popular DJI Phantom Quadracopter. I currently fly a DJI F550 Hexacopter with Naza, and knew the concept would be a hit if DJI could package it all in a simple, pre-built system. I think they've done it with the Phantom, and I think the Phantom is going to bring an entirely new audience to the world of multi-rotors and aerial photography.

I hope to help the DJI Phantom community by posting helpful information, accessory reviews, videos, and other tips and tricks.

PhantomPilots.com is not owned or endorsed by DJI Innovations, Inc.
Flying out of LOS in the middle of nowhere isn't harming a thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers