Crashed my P3P. I effed up and flew too far in high wind.

Lucky that the bird wasn t flying over the water.. should had put the battery % in the video.
And thank you 4 sharing

Reactions: Tim in Florida
I did the same thing the other day. Took off in 25-30 mile an hour winds. Couldn't get the bird to come back luckily I had full battery. I had to hurry and jump in my jeep with remote. I caught up to it with about 20% battery and landed it. Luckily I had camera view or I would have never known where it was at. Lesson learned

Glad everything worked out OK and you got her back.
Was like watching a thriller movie, hoping you won't crash and make it home (too bad I already knew the ending).
Thanks for sharing.
What video editing software are you using and where you using DJI GO app?

Reactions: Tim in Florida
Glad everything worked out OK and you got her back.
Was like watching a thriller movie, hoping you won't crash and make it home (too bad I already knew the ending).
Thanks for sharing.
What video editing software are you using and where you using DJI GO app?
I was using DJI GO. For editing, I have Adobe Premire Pro CC. I am trying to learn how to include flight data (telemetry, battery power, etc.) on the video.

Was kind of hoping you crashed in the water. It really makes me cringe when people fly over populated areas and you're lucky there wasn't a kid in that garden. When you were flying out you chose to fly over people's houses, why not fly over the water just in case?

Was kind of hoping you crashed in the water. It really makes me cringe when people fly over populated areas and you're lucky there wasn't a kid in that garden. When you were flying out you chose to fly over people's houses, why not fly over the water just in case?
Sorry to have made you cringe. I sticked toward the tree when I saw it was going straight for the screen covered pool.The weed infested yard I went down in was not a garden, by the way. I didn't see as many people on land in the video as you must have seen in it. If I consider the square feet of land I flew over and factor in the number of people that were on those squares, I would have had to try super hard to land on one of them. The folks on boats were probably in danger, too. I respectfully disagree with you. I would have been less happy with a water landing. However, when it (water crash or landing) happens, I will post a video for you.

Reactions: sads45
You had very little control of where it came down. What are you disagreeing with, that it's dangerous? I'm sure in your country the rules are the same as mine, they are there to protect people from reckless pilots. When you set out you don't have a clue what's on the ground, and when you failed to fly it properly you didn't have a clue where you were landing either. Be safe and don't spoil it for the rest of us

You had very little control of where it came down. What are you disagreeing with, that it's dangerous? I'm sure in your country the rules are the same as mine, they are there to protect people from reckless pilots. When you set out you don't have a clue what's on the ground, and when you failed to fly it properly you didn't have a clue where you were landing either. Be safe and don't spoil it for the rest of us
You got it, boss. Thanks for the great feedback. I am excited to see your "only over the water" videos. You can get some great xmas lights shots that way.

Reactions: ShelbyPoker
I didn't see any trees moving, so there was no high wind issue. Looks like you just went too far. Didn't see any xmas lights either. Flying over houses, not knowing how much battery is left, landing in a backyard, wow. Perfect for a video on what not to do. Thanks for sharing.

This is an exercise in bad judgement. Flying beyond VLOS over populated areas with helicopter traffic nearby. This is why the FAA is on YouTube.

Post moved to the videos section where it belongs.

13% battery was left, Sfgiants. The wind at ground level was between 3 and 5 mph. The wind between 200 and 400' is where the issue was. That was over 20mph. That was the point of showing this "lesson". We (me anyway) need to double check the wind at the altitude we will be flying at. That's also why the trees weren't moving. The trees you saw are all under 40' tall in that area. I rushed to fly and did not check the wind. I totally incorrectly assumed that since it was such a light breeze on the ground that it could not possibly be THAT windy up a few hundred feet. That is why I shared the video. One of my co-workers was over and he had it VLOS, albeit with the aid of a Barska optic. The building at the u-turn point (with the solar panels on the roof) is a construction project I sold and my buddy is managing. We've done the flight plenty of times and are usually landing on my dock with over 50% battery. When wind is under 12mph, it's a non-issue to get there and back with plenty of battery.

ianwood - the copters fly the gulf beach all the time. I was not in that area even though the copter was visible. If anyone is being dangerous, it's the helicopters and small planes that buzz the beach over there. I am shocked that they are allowed to fly so low directly over people, on purpose. If one of those goes down, it will highly likely be on top of people. They are flying directly over totally exposed people all the time. Their flight path does not intersect the area I was in. At least it never has before.

The real lesson here is that I will go back to reading and occasionally commenting. Not sharing anymore, though. Too much negativity. Bummer.

One quick question... any idea how on earth real estate videos are being shot (legally) without being over neighborhoods? Or are they only shooting houses that are totally remote?

13% battery was left, Sfgiants. The wind at ground level was between 3 and 5 mph. The wind between 200 and 400' is where the issue was. That was over 20mph. That was the point of showing this "lesson". We (me anyway) need to double check the wind at the altitude we will be flying at. That's also why the trees weren't moving. The trees you saw are all under 40' tall in that area. I rushed to fly and did not check the wind. I totally incorrectly assumed that since it was such a light breeze on the ground that it could not possibly be THAT windy up a few hundred feet. That is why I shared the video. One of my co-workers was over and he had it VLOS, albeit with the aid of a Barska optic. The building at the u-turn point (with the solar panels on the roof) is a construction project I sold and my buddy is managing. We've done the flight plenty of times and are usually landing on my dock with over 50% battery. When wind is under 12mph, it's a non-issue to get there and back with plenty of battery.

ianwood - the copters fly the gulf beach all the time. I was not in that area even though the copter was visible. If anyone is being dangerous, it's the helicopters and small planes that buzz the beach over there. I am shocked that they are allowed to fly so low directly over people, on purpose. If one of those goes down, it will highly likely be on top of people. They are flying directly over totally exposed people all the time. Their flight path does not intersect the area I was in. At least it never has before.

The real lesson here is that I will go back to reading and occasionally commenting. Not sharing anymore, though. Too much negativity. Bummer.

One quick question... any idea how on earth real estate videos are being shot (legally) without being over neighborhoods? Or are they only shooting houses that are totally remote?
Firstly, pleased everyone came out of this without a scratch, including those below your flight path and your sua.

You're taking a little flak here because the rules on flying, practically anywhere in the world, are the same. Fly within sight or at the limit defined by, in your case, FAA. Sure these rules are very limiting but they are in place for good reasons - safety. They protect everyone, you, me and all the innocents on the ground and in the air. If you, and others choose to ignore them then eventually, the whole flying community will suffer. This forum and it's members can only impart guidance, it's up to every pilot to listen, learn and to use commonsense. We all need to learn to fly safely.

Regards your question about real estate, yep, it's tricky. I don't know much about FAA law but here (UK), not being able to fly over or within 50m of people, roads and property is extremely limiting. I think you guys probably have the best of it, you have a lot more space to fly in than we do.

Keep posting Tim but learn from the experience. You've got a good attitude and you've taken people's comments well. We all make mistakes, we all have lots to learn.

I didn't see any trees moving, so there was no high wind issue. Looks like you just went too far. Didn't see any xmas lights either. Flying over houses, not knowing how much battery is left, landing in a backyard, wow. Perfect for a video on what not to do. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Firstly, pleased everyone came out of this without a scratch, including those below your flight path and your sua.

You're taking a little flak here because the rules on flying, practically anywhere in the world, are the same. Fly within sight or at the limit defined by, in your case, FAA. Sure these rules are very limiting but they are in place for good reasons - safety. They protect everyone, you, me and all the innocents on the ground and in the air. If you, and others choose to ignore them then eventually, the whole flying community will suffer. This forum and it's members can only impart guidance, it's up to every pilot to listen, learn and to use commonsense. We all need to learn to fly safely.

Regards your question about real estate, yep, it's tricky. I don't know much about FAA law but here (UK), not being able to fly over or within 50m of people, roads and property is extremely limiting. I think you guys probably have the best of it, you have a lot more space to fly in than we do.

Keep posting Tim but learn from the experience. You've got a good attitude and you've taken people's comments well. We all make mistakes, we all have lots to learn.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk
Do you not see any problem with what you did? Ditching in a backyard? Flying where helicopters Your argument about real estate video holds no water. If you get paid to fly a drone, you are licensed to do so.

Do you not see anything wrong with your actions? Is it ok to crash land in someone's yard because of your recklessness? Is it someone else's fault that you're flying where it is known that helicopters and small planes fly all the time? In answer to Your question about shooting real estate video, in order to fly a drone commercially, you have to be licensed and insured in case of damage caused. I don't suppose you are shooting any real estate video.

[emoji22][emoji22][emoji22][emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31