Crashed and sent to repair, out of warranty

Reaction score
Crashed into my roof. Hit the ground. Gimbal made a lot of noise on tilt. So I sent her in. 1 month out of warranty. I get the quote back via email. $154 total. Not bad I think. Especially when $130 is labor. So I get an email that it's in its way back home. Overjoyed! She arrives. I open the box to find...... NOT MY EQUIPMENT! So I chat with DJI a couple times. They told me it's my replacement because mine probably wasn't repairable. Huh? It was a gimbal problem. Tilt motor. Fly this drone on a test flight and it shimmies and the ascent and descent are slow. About half the speed of my original equipment even after the crash. Talk to DJI again and find they want me to send it back and reference my initial case and there MAY BE ADDITIONAL CHARGES?! What the ****? Looking for advice everyone. Help me out.

Last edited by a moderator:
i would post over in the other forum......maybe the dji reps there could check into the situation.

That's their prerogative to replace your repair with a refurb which may not look as nice as what you sent in. You can read about it in their warranty/service area here: After-Sales Service Policies - DJI Look at the "Product and Part Replacement" portion. Pretty SOP for them.

Other forum?

the dji forum, not nearly as active as here, and is censored for language and content, but the dji reps are as helpful as they can be.
be patient as it may take awhile for a rep to notice your post and they will ask for a case number.

That's their prerogative to replace your repair with a refurb which may not look as nice as what you sent in. You can read about it in their warranty/service area here: After-Sales Service Policies - DJI Look at the "Product and Part Replacement" portion. Pretty SOP for them.

Initially yes... but 1) it needs to be in good working order which the OP clearly states it was not and 2) I'd say the OP might have a case that his Phantom should be repaired and returned as this is what he was paying for (according to the bill). If DJI tells the OP that his drone will be repaired and the OP agrees with payment, then the contract needs to be honored. The warranty allows for repairs _or_ replacement. It was agreed that it would be repaired.

Edit: However, the warranty is a moot point. It does not apply in this case.

Last edited:
It's out of warranty so they have the option to attribute a cost (assuming they don't offer a concession on the manufacturers warranty) whether exchange with refurb, new or repair. I don't know why we might think the damage assement and repair estimation might be any different whether they repair or replace.

It would seem the suggestion that additional charges might be applied if the replacement AC is returned would likely apply if the replacement is found to be functioning within soec.

It's out of warranty so they have the option to attribute a cost (assuming they don't offer a concession on the manufacturers warranty) whether exchange with refurb, new or repair.

I'm unclear why you mention that this repair is not addressed under the warranty... and they quote what is allowed under the warranty. If it's out of warranty... the warranty does not apply here.

DJI sent the OP an quote to _repair_ his Phantom. They did not do this.

I'm unclear why you mention that this repair is not addressed under the warranty... and they quote what is allowed under the warranty. If it's out of warranty... the warranty does not apply here.

DJI sent the OP an quote to _repair_ his Phantom. They did not do this.
Simply because there are circumstances where statutory rights may trump the manufacturers warranty or manufacturers may, at their option, cover a repair outside their stated conditions.

We know the conditions provide for repair or replacement at DJI's discretion. They can't proceed with either in circumstances where warranty isn't applied without providing a quotation for acceptance/payment.

We know the conditions provide for repair or replacement at DJI's discretion. They can't proceed with either in circumstances where warranty isn't applied without providing a quotation for acceptance/payment.

So we go back to the contract for repair... which stated that the OP's gimbal would be repaired. This does not mean they are going to send out someone else's used drone. One could argue that DJI did not honor the repair contract.

So we go back to the contract for repair... which stated that the OP's gimbal would be repaired. This does not mean they are going to send out someone else's used drone. One could argue that DJI did not honor the repair contract.
Of course- I agree. The best we might hope for though is that the OP will receive a correctly functioning AC (repair, refurb or new). There are plenty of threads here depicting DJI customer experiences in this scenario.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20