Crashed and Damage GIMBALL phantom 2 vision plus +

Hi there,

i had the same problem, vision plus fell from 5 meter and the shaft and the ribbon cable has snapped. u can c in the pic...
I contacted the seller who sold it to me-- and he offer a new unit for 800$ (ridiculous price).
now, i know that i can fix it if i would find this ribbon cable.

my gimbal still works-- i mean, if i connect all the gimbal cables (3) it wont fly, the gimbal will act crazy. withou the gimbal cable attached it wouldnt fly as well,
but if u connect all the cables, beside the middle one, it will fly, the gimbal will work, but no camera, so there is no pic...
can i connect other camera to that middle cable? can i connect another gimbal?

i contacted dji Europe and north America for help. i dont mind send it to them- and i am willing to wait.

one thing i will never do-- is buy that gimbal (the enitire net is full of posts of people like us..with the same problem...) again so it will break again cause its
such a wick link in this unit.

did anyone found any solution or found the cable?

thanks a lot

Attachments

• my broken camera1.jpg
    my broken camera1.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 669
Re: Crashed and Damage GIMBALL phantom 2 vision plus +

Postby bufi20 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:16 am
Hi there,

i had the same problem, vision plus fell from 5 meter and the shaft and the ribbon cable has snapped. u can c in the pic...
I contacted the seller who sold it to me-- and he offer a new unit for 800$ (ridiculous price).
now, i know that i can fix it if i would find this ribbon cable.

my gimbal still works-- i mean, if i connect all the gimbal cables (3) it wont fly, the gimbal will act crazy. withou the gimbal cable attached it wouldnt fly as well,
but if u connect all the cables, beside the middle one, it will fly, the gimbal will work, but no camera, so there is no pic...
can i connect other camera to that middle cable? can i connect another gimbal?

i contacted dji Europe and north America for help. i dont mind send it to them- and i am willing to wait.

one thing i will never do-- is buy that gimbal (the enitire net is full of posts of people like us..with the same problem...) again so it will break again cause its
such a wick link in this unit.

did anyone found any solution or found the cable?

Any how
dji responded to my mail really quick, and told me that i should contact my seller
and ask for a service repair.

i contacted my seller again, and he was really nice, he offered me a rapair ( i dont know the price yet) and than they offer me to buy the ribbon cable for 200$,
i would buy the cable-- but still, it wont solve my tilt motor broken shaft problem.

still waiting for suggestions from them, but it seems like they really want to help

bufi20 said:
i contacted my seller again, and he was really nice, he offered me a rapair ( i dont know the price yet) and than they offer me to buy the ribbon cable for 200$,
i would buy the cable-- but still, it wont solve my tilt motor broken shaft problem.

They offered to sell you the ribbon cable...for $200??? :shock: Some deal!

Not sure about your issue with the shaft, but Dave's Discount Motorsports expects to have the cable in stock this week. I don't think its going to be $200 either! I may order one just to have a spare on hand as I'm sure the ribbon will eventually crack from regular use.

Re: Crashed and Damage GIMBALL phantom 2 vision plus +

Postby Dirty Bird » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:22 pm

bufi20 wrote:

They offered to sell you the ribbon cable...for $200??? :shock: Some deal!

Not sure about your issue with the shaft, but Dave's Discount Motorsports expects to have the cable in stock this week. I don't think its going to be $200 either! I may order one just to have a spare on hand as I'm sure the ribbon will eventually crack from regular use.

10x a lot dirty bird :)

some deal indeed.... the shaft is broken-- but i am almost sure i can super glue it somehow, or better send it to repair, after i buying the cable from dave's

thanks again dude

Dirty Bird said:

Hey DB, the ribbon cables that are offered by DJI are the gray cables with the clip connectors at the end that go from the main board in the quad down to the camera assembly, NOT the black cable. That one is not offered separately by DJI but I think that there is going to be enough demand for them that they will need to offer it. They have them for the ZH3-3D 1.1 gimbals for the small USB plug that goes into the side of the GoPro.

Hello,

Has anyone found a place that sells the black ribbon cable?

My camera on my + is now a separate entity to the gimbal and copter :-(

So prop guards are more harm than good? How many agree with this?

CRONUS said:
Capt_quad said:
I just got my + about 3 weeks ago installed prop guards with stock props. Also installed tall landing gear with acrylic extensions on bottom to prevent tip overs on landing. Have had about 20 successful flights at local country club and tested Rth several times from high altitudes. Last Sat. I launched from a farm to take some arial shots...

Had exactly the same accident today, but I think I should feel extremely lucky. All that happened during a crash - a battery fell off.
As it was my first such accident i searched internet and found out, that all users lost their cameras and gimbals. And also found out that every advice is to lose prop guards. Going to take them off immediately.

I also had the same accident. The thing just starting acting wobbly for no reason about 100 feet in the air on the way down, and came down fast like the battery was dying but wouldn't respond to command. Now of course the gimbal just goes wacky. I have prop guards and was in RTH mode with it happened. I would like to know why it crashed in the first place. Is it low battery (20-30%), prop wash (exacerbated by prop guards), firmware, defective unit?

I am pretty sure that my ribbon cable is fine since i do get video, and don't see any tears.

I had prop guards fitted. It was the 3rd crash I've had where the + just fell from about 15m. It'll be the last time I use prop guards unless I find evidence that they are not an issue.

Has anyone had any luck sourcing the black ribbon cable? I'm keen to get the + back I'm the air rather than sitting in pieces on my table.

Thanks

Prop guards for sale! Just kidding. But I'm convinced to take them off. And replace the proper screws of course.
And if someone comes up with a way to protect that black cable please let us know!

A person could carve these cables out of unicorn horn and still make a profit.

Include me on the list to buy some spares.

DJI fixed mine for free. It sounds like I got lucky since we bought it directly from them, I sent it to them for repair instead of a dealer..

Is the black ribbon cable being sold separately now? There was a mention that Dave's Discount Store would have them but I don't see them on their site.

I'm keen to get flying again but there's no way I am going to pay $600+ to replace the camera and gimbal when all I need is a cable.

A question I have, is can the ribbon easily be replaced even if you have it?

Dismissing the fact its glued all over the place can you even detach it from the mainboard? I took a broken one apart and I really could not see where it was plugged in.

Not to mention the other end by the camera looked TOUGH to take apart.

Attachments

• 20140717_100104.jpg
    20140717_100104.jpg
    845.5 KB · Views: 538
In case anyone else has run into that same post breaking (the one connecting the camera to the gimbal), we encountered the same problem and after not being able to find replacement parts from DJI (they'll tell you to send it in, and the repair center will replace the whole assembly for over $600), we had them custom manufactured.

It was much more efficient to have them made in quantity, so as a result, we've got these pins available for sale. Shoot an email to trailsidecycle at gmail and we'll work out shipping one out to you for a heck of a lot cheaper than you would spend by sending it in to be repaired.

We're still looking for someone who can do runs of the ribbon cable in the US.

rrmccabe said:
A question I have, is can the ribbon easily be replaced even if you have it?

Dismissing the fact its glued all over the place can you even detach it from the mainboard? I took a broken one apart and I really could not see where it was plugged in.

Not to mention the other end by the camera looked TOUGH to take apart.

Its really not that bad. You just have to go slow your first time. I learned some tricks the first time that made it less than a 10 minute operation. Like starting at the middle securing and then simply wrapping the bottom like winding a clock spring. I think I could do it in 5min if I really went at it :D

Trailside Cycle said:
In case anyone else has run into that same post breaking (the one connecting the camera to the gimbal), we encountered the same problem and after not being able to find replacement parts from DJI (they'll tell you to send it in, and the repair center will replace the whole assembly for over $600), we had them custom manufactured.

It was much more efficient to have them made in quantity, so as a result, we've got these pins available for sale. Shoot an email to trailsidecycle at gmail and we'll work out shipping one out to you for a heck of a lot cheaper than you would spend by sending it in to be repaired.

We're still looking for someone who can do runs of the ribbon cable in the US.

Check with http://www.ATKDrones.com for ribbon cables. At $85 a piece they will be cheaper then DJI cable when you can get them on special order.

RB.

Hi Guys,

I crashed my drone yesterday from 10 meters height due to strong wind, it went into the branches, cut one of them and came down hard. Changed a set of propellers, clean it off and everything was fine with a few scratches here and there. Fly really smooth but the "gimbal motor error" is shown. Just wondering if the spare parts for the gimbal is available and wish to know the price.
Same here. The gimbal arm was sticking against the plate above it. I used a kitchen knife to slowly and gently free it and the error went away. just saved $600.00

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31