crashed and bummed

Reaction score
okay so i had my first real crash.....and i'm soo bumbed.

here is what does and doesn't work now t
the system powers up
the gimbal seems like it's working
the camera is feeding a streem to my phone

the controls for tilting the camera are not working
the radar is not working
the color bar at the top tellling me battery life is not working

any thoughts???

mikegentile said:
okay so i had my first real crash.....and i'm soo bumbed.

here is what does and doesn't work now t
the system powers up
the gimbal seems like it's working
the camera is feeding a streem to my phone

the controls for tilting the camera are not working
the radar is not working
the color bar at the top tellling me battery life is not working

any thoughts???

Have a look at the cables that go to the gimbal and camera controller, they may have been dislodged.

Just a suggestion.

Are the controls missing from the app screen or they are there but not working?
If missing, you may have taped the icon at the bottom right corner to hide them. All the functions you mention are all shown or hidden by that icon.

Radar won't work until it get's GPS lock and sets home point.
Color bar won't show you flight time remaining until you take off and get into the air.

Oh, and you double posted fyi.

Strange. If the Gimbal is working and compensating for movement, then the gimbal motors are working and the tilt control should work.
Are you getting satellite lock? Maybe the video is working but the telemetry channel is not.

Only think I can think of is an internal cable came lose. I'd definitely open her up and check all the connections.

i'm such a newbie......2 weeks in....i haven't opened her up yet...so i don't even know what to look for :(

There are a number of videos out there (you tube) to show you how to open her up and then what you will expect to see. (Pay attention though to make sure you are looking at the same model Phantom in the reference videos.) Once you get her open, and have a connector reference, you will just want to make sure all the connectors are fully seated.

thanks it looks like there are 3 sets of wire in three clips that connect to the gimbal.
2 of the clips have 6 wires in them
the clip that had it's wires dislodged has 4 wires. can anyone confirm that those four wires control the gimbals from my phone?

thanks in advance

mikegentile said:
thanks it looks like there are 3 sets of wire in three clips that connect to the gimbal.
the clip that had it's wires dislodged has 4 wires. can anyone confirm that those four wires control the gimbals from my phone?

thanks in advance
Can't confirm. But the phone doesn't actually control the gimbal. The flight controller does that. The phone communicates via the telemetry channel to the camera and the camera communicates with the flight controller.
It sounds like that loose wire set carries the serial data channel between the camera and flight controller.
That would explain why you didn't get radar, or battery info and couldn't control the camera tilt.

Did you get it plugged back in and did that fix it?

mikegentile said:

thanks in advance

If you follow the cable with the four pin connector up into the body and if connects to the wifi unit you can virtually guarantee that that is the cable that carries all the data.

It sounds like the four pin connector may be the what is wrong, for it to dislodge there would have had to be some force applied. Make sure that all four pins are seated properly. Personally if that does not work I would pull the bird apart and check for continuity on all the cables.

DownunderPhantom said:
mikegentile said:

thanks in advance

If you follow the cable with the four pin connector up into the body and if connects to the wifi unit you can virtually guarantee that that is the cable that carries all the data.

It sounds like the four pin connector may be the what is wrong, for it to dislodge there would have had to be some force applied. Make sure that all four pins are seated properly. Personally if that does not work I would pull the bird apart and check for continuity on all the cables.

+1000 Listen to this guy before you crack her open.
Look carefully at the clip in with the 4 gray cables. Use some tweezers and push them in tightly.
There was a previous post http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23370 with the same symptoms.

haven't gotten it plugged back in yet. the tiny wires pulled out of the plug, and i don't have the tools/skill to put the wires back in the plug. i'm going to head to my local hobby store today to see what they say. thanks for asking

mikegentile said:
haven't gotten it plugged back in yet. the tiny wires pulled out of the plug, and i don't have the tools/skill to put the wires back in the plug. i'm going to head to my local hobby store today to see what they say. thanks for asking
Yeah, if the wires pulled out of the connector (plug), let them see if they can reinsert them. Dealing with those mini wires and connector can be difficult. It is likely they will recommend replacing the cable (if it is replaceable - I don't remember what is on the other end).

If your local hobby shop supplies DJI products, see if they carry the Vision Cable Kit package, in there there should be a replacement cable.
If my memory serves me correctly the compass cable has the same four pin connectors as the one you need but the cable is longer.

I can not check because my bird has been away for testing for two weeks now.

One thing to remember when disconnecting the cables is not to pull on the cable itself, move the white connector, I find a small jewelers flat tip screwdriver or small long nose pliers best for small tricky connectors.

Also remember that the connectors are designed to only go on one way, do not force it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic