Crashed and bounced, flying again after watching YouTube

Reaction score
Hi there,

I crashed my Phantom 3 Standard into the Point Cartwright Lighthouse during very windy conditions. The battery got ejected and the drone bounced over a 2 metre fence. All the propellor guards were smashed, they probably prevented significant damage. A twig was embedded in the back of the camera. On re-inserting the battery and starting up DJI Go reported weak controller signal, Firmware Update needed (did that last week) and I was unable to set RTH and Maximum height.

I contacted a couple of repair shops in Sydney, quoted $50+ for there and back couriers plus $120/hour for repairs. One company suggested I might need a new camera $359.

I Googled a YouTube video on how to open a Phantom, Following the instructions I got a set of Torx screwdrivers from Bunnings $19.40 and opened my Phantom. I removed the twig . Once I got the top cover off, the problem was apparent. A wire had come loose from one of the motors. I pushed it back into place. Did a test, all sytems and DJI Go working!

Reassembled the drone, took it for a flight, went like it had never crashed.

I've ordered another set of propellor guards and gimbal protector.

I'm saving up for a Phantom 4 Pro, the avoidance systems should keep me from crashing into lighthouses.

I hope my experience will help a fellow pilot.

Reactions: Stew-2 and Lunatech
Good outcome, and the mention of Bunnings was the clincher. I have been dealing with a crew in Sydney that shall remain nameless for obvious reasons, and I ended up suggesting that the product they had sent me was faulty and not my set up. Yep a faulty product and my new goggles are coming back to me. That took two months of phone calls and speaking to 'on sell a' product salesman rather than qualified technicians. Never again.

Hi there,

I crashed my Phantom 3 Standard into the Point Cartwright Lighthouse during very windy conditions.

I hope my experience will help a fellow pilot.

Glad you were able to get your Phantom back up and running. I'm sure realize now that flying in "very windy conditions" is not a good idea.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik