Crash while tilting camera

Reaction score
Ok guys answer this one, Phantom 2, tarot t2d gimbal, gopro white edition, Ok got it all together and took it out for a test flight, everything good, fly around for about 3 minutes, up, down, yaw all good and then I tilted the camera down with the lever on the back and the phantom went haywire and started osolating uncontrollably, I had no control and it just fell out of the sky and crashed, I do have a boscam video transmitter on the drone that was powered up at that time, was not using any wifi, Im stumped and really discouraged, 3 minutes on a new shell a new gimbal and a new gopro, that's not fun, gopro survived, and no one got hurt, so I guess its not so bad, just stumped on why it did that when I tilted my camera.

Thanks
Chuck

v-twindad said:
the phantom went haywire and started osolating uncontrollably, I had no control and it just fell out of the sky and crashed

hi chuck
the oscillation sounds like a classic case of VRS (vortex ring state).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_ring_state
happened to me and that's when I became acquainted with VRS.
btw, did you have prop guards installed?
supposedly, this can induce or increase the chance of VRS during descent.
it's recommended that you have some lateral movement during descent (forward, backward, sideways).
sometimes, if you have enough altitude, it's possible to overcome VRS by pushing the right command stick up, down, left or right.
but I know that it's hard to react quickly enough when your phantom goes out of control.
very nerve-wracking...

I wonder if this was something more than VRS? Maybe an issue with the gimbal caused a power loss within the quad?

Might be worth trying it all out on the bench once you get it all back together.

Thanks for the replies, no prop gaurds installed at the time, had carbon fiber props, can vrs happen if you just hover in one spot for to long? I was not desending that I know of, I have a switch wired in for powering the gimble and boscam xmiter, one wire soldered to main power wire on board then ran to one side of switch, then two wires off other leg of switch, one to gimbal and one to boscam, both ground wires from those two things soldered to the main ground on the board. just don't get it.

I was just gonna ask if you had CF props installed!

Same happened to me, not the camera tilt, that might have just been coincedence.

I installed CF props, flew a few times, all ok. Then installed the Boscam Transmitter, first FPV flight, maybe 3 minutes in, just went haywire and fell from the sky!

I subsequently removed the Boscam Transmitter, replaced the CF props with stock props, just to gain confidence again. All went good few flights, then reinstalled the Boscam Transmitter and all has been good.

I am almost prepared to say I will put my thing on a block that its the CF Props. Ditch them, no real benefits. Then go try it all again. You will probably find it never happens again.

It was the weirdest thing when it happened to me. It happened so quickly, it just goes mental wobbly side to side and not even a second later it drops to the ground, no control.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav