Crash Video! What happened?

Reaction score
I was 10 minutes into what had been a perfect flight, when my phantom 2 vision plus just dropped out of the sky and crashed. I cut down the video to just the crash. But as you can see I was flying normally until I started hearing the phantom sound like its in trouble. I cant really describe it, but it sounded like it was struggling to stay up. I was at around 40-50% battery before the crash. It then started to fall. For a split second it looks like it was at almost a 90 degree angle, since the camera is at about a 45 degree angel with the gimbal. Right before it hits he ground it looks like it starts to slow down, but its too late. The phantom then hopped up, flipped over, and landed on its top. The propellers then began to dig into the dirt until someone was able to run over and pick it up. I think most of the damages happened after it flipped on its top and started to kick up all the dirt. I don't think the camera got any damage on the initial impact. I have longer landing gear and a custom plexiglass shield I made to protect the camera (that actually broke on impact). HOwever, the man damage happened because of the motors digging into the dirt and kicking up all the rocks and dirt. The phantom was completely full of dirt. I'm looking to see if anyone has thoughts on why it fell. I also want to know if the phantom should know its upside down on the ground and shut down the motors. I've seen crash videos online, I don't think I've seen any where the motors stayed on.

http://youtu.be/4-P899DUB8g

On a side note, there is a happy ending. I went to DJI's website to see if I could file a warranty clam since I had the video. However, their online forum wont let you ask a question unless you have first gone through your dealer. I then sent Amazon a note expecting them to tell me I need to go through DJI since it was 45 days after purchase. I didn't even ask, but they immediately overnighted a new one to me. Pretty great customer service.

ohseedee said:
.....I also want to know if the phantom should know its upside down on the ground and shut down the motors. I've seen crash videos online, I don't think I've seen any where the motors stayed on.

.....I then sent Amazon a note expecting them to tell me I need to go through DJI since it was 45 days after purchase. I didn't even ask, but they immediately overnighted a new one to me. Pretty great customer service.
Ouch! Bad fall but nice that you got such service. Most are out of luck.
As for motors staying on, yes they do. Some time back testing something in my driveway, a gust of wind pushed mine into a small tree. It looked dead. I put down the controller(bad idea)and ran over to it. Pulled out of the branches and the motors started spinning. I had a good grip and kept wits and reached with other hand and shut the battery off. Broke tip on one prop and nicked the other. Looks like you have a nice place to fly. I can send you all my snow and cold and you can send me your nice rocky and warm place to fly.

I wish the Phantom had an auto stop feature for the motors like the ar drone 2.0.

Did you ha e prop guards on by any chance?

Looks like a loss of lift caused by VRS. Sure wish your video had sound to confirm motors were actually revving up trying to offset the fall. Prop guards have a real bad rap in this forum because of their lift robbing nature plus weight. Then add other weight by plexiglass cross brace...

What exactly is VRS? Yeah it did sound like it was reving up right before and while it fell. I did have prop guards installed. So guards that add extra weight makes it more likely to crash? That sucks. Sounds like the revelation that some sunblock has chemicals that cause cancer.

I'm trying to figure out what went wrong and what I can do to avoid it in the future.

Happyflyer said:
ohseedee said:
.....I also want to know if the phantom should know its upside down on the ground and shut down the motors. I've seen crash videos online, I don't think I've seen any where the motors stayed on.

.....I then sent Amazon a note expecting them to tell me I need to go through DJI since it was 45 days after purchase. I didn't even ask, but they immediately overnighted a new one to me. Pretty great customer service.
Ouch! Bad fall but nice that you got such service. Most are out of luck.
As for motors staying on, yes they do. Some time back testing something in my driveway, a gust of wind pushed mine into a small tree. It looked dead. I put down the controller(bad idea)and ran over to it. Pulled out of the branches and the motors started spinning. I had a good grip and kept wits and reached with other hand and shut the battery off. Broke tip on one prop and nicked the other. Looks like you have a nice place to fly. I can send you all my snow and cold and you can send me your nice rocky and warm place to fly.

It was a nice place to fly, unfortunately it was my first and last flight in that location :(
I was in the desert a few hours away from Los Angeles (where I live). Unfortunately I probably wont be back anytime soon since its so far away.

Google Vortex Ring State.

WATCH THIS! DJI Phantom 2 Vortex Ring State (VRS)…: http://youtu.be/tsd_x1i_vAA

Look and sound familiar?

Damon said:
Google Vortex Ring State.

WATCH THIS! DJI Phantom 2 Vortex Ring State (VRS)…: http://youtu.be/tsd_x1i_vAA

Look and sound familiar?

Yep, it sounded like that, but lasted much longer since I was a lot higher up. So what did I do wrong? I wasn't descending. I was going forward (full speed), stopping, and planning on turning around. Was it the abrupt stopping? Do the prop guards make it worse?

Prop guards definitely make it occur quicker. Factor in altitude (thinner air). Up or Down Drafts. Additional weight. Descending straight down.

There are lots of possibilities. You might consider removing guards(MAKE SURE TO USE THE SHORTER SCREWS TO HOLD MOTOR TO ARMS)

And/or purchase DJI 9450 props. They provide additional lift.

I watched your video again and I have to disagree it was VRS. You were flying along, movement, and not decending straight down, no reason for it. And just because you have prop guards on does not mean your quad is going to crash. All the items listed about guards is correct except they do not instantly cause a crash. I have used them mostly on my property because of the trees and not out at the beach. They have never caused any problems for my quad.
I still believe you had some type of motor or electrical failure.

When I can see the landing gear showing the the "wobble" back and forth, I would argue otherwise. That being said could it be two issues in one? Maybe started by loss of power like Happy flyer theorizes which caused initial descent which turned into VRS....

I can not see props in shot to support loss of power. I can't hear loss of power...but I can definitely see the "death wobble"

DJI Phantom 2 - Vortex ring state (VRS) crash: http://youtu.be/eZIuO66WjDY

Quadcopter "Wobble of Death": VRS Recovery and Av…: http://youtu.be/LCret4rv0HE

It looks like your battery may have been weak. This may have caused the drone to go into fail safe mode and got caught in its own prop wash. May want to look at how many hours you have on that battery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.