Crash then problem with GPS

Reaction score
I had a flyway..thankfully before it left my area it caught the very top of a tree and fell about 60 feet. Pretty sure I know what caused the problem and it most likely was my fault but that's another story. Anyway battery flew out, all props damaged, two motors, one esc and top shell damaged. Surprised no gimbal damage (besides opening it and lining the camera back up). Did all the repairs ..removed GPS and put it in new top shell. Now it takes about 15 minutes to get 6 satellites. I have another P2V+ and that will get 6 in under a minute. Fired both up at same location. Wondering if I need to replace the GPS receiver. Thought it would either work or not work ...not something in between. Any thoughts on what I might try before I get more replacement parts?

I had a flyway..thankfully before it left my area it caught the very top of a tree and fell about 60 feet. Pretty sure I know what caused the problem and it most likely was my fault but that's another story. Anyway battery flew out, all props damaged, two motors, one esc and top shell damaged. Surprised no gimbal damage (besides opening it and lining the camera back up). Did all the repairs ..removed GPS and put it in new top shell. Now it takes about 15 minutes to get 6 satellites. I have another P2V+ and that will get 6 in under a minute. Fired both up at same location. Wondering if I need to replace the GPS receiver. Thought it would either work or not work ...not something in between. Any thoughts on what I might try before I get more replacement parts?

The most fragile part is the ceramic based antenna.
You'll need to remove the GPS module/puck and examine the antenna on the top side of the puck.

The replacement part is low cost, <$10, but does require soldering skills.

(A new puck is about $160 BTW)

Thanks ..that was big help. Opened it up and sure enought the ceramic antenna was cracked down the middle. Could'nt find the 2mm replacement part so i'm upgrading to the 4mm. Little bit tougher to squeeze it into shell but should be much better than 2mm one.

Attachments

• IMG_5547.JPG
    IMG_5547.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 342
crashed and pucked up hey.
Good thing the its an easy and cheap fix.
Please note, use a good screw driver to remove the 4 screws that hold the puck.
Its worth the 4mm upgrade as mine picks up 14 sats and fast.

I glad it is fixable !

I am curious though, you called it a " fly away" , can you elaborate as to why?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers