Crash! SD card not working

Reaction score
I bumped into a tree limb and crashed. Drone still flys fine. Gimbal works and i have live view but i cant record to the sd card. The camera side in the DJI Go app is just greyed out. Would this be the ribbon or one of the wires coming out of the gimbal?

Have you tried to reformat your SD card? I had something similar happen without the crash.. Also make sure the SD card is seated properly..

Yes. I put the card in my pc and right clicked the drive and reformatted it. I also put a different sd card in which worked before the crash. Nothing. Its odd that it doesnt say "no sd card detected". When i look at the sd card size it says 0.

Make sure no dirt got into the SD card slot because of the crash. Very unlikely, but if you're running out of options, worth a shot. You can also try and wiggle the card when inserted, with the AC on, and see if anything changes. If that's the case, it could be a bad contact. Otherwise... I'm afraid but I don't see what else you could try, beyond what you already did.

Yes. I tried another card and nothing. Ill try to wiggle the card around tonight and maybe blow air into the sd card slot. Old school Nintendo style.

There are black and grey wires coming out of the drone to the gimbal. What are they for? The grey wire was pulled out of the connector. I delicately reinserted it and it seems fine.

Those are the tiny coax cables that run from the camera to the patch antennas. They carry the 2.4 GHz signals.

Did you reattach the coax connector to the gimbal board? Or did you stuff the cable into the connector. The latter wont work, because it's coax and the inner conductor and shield must be isolated. The best thing to do is replace the patch antennas, which come with new cables and u.fl connectors that will mate with the gimbal board. They cost about $25 to $30 for the pair.

Have you tried to reformat your SD card? I had something similar happen without the crash.. Also make sure the SD card is seated properly..

Agree. Out of the box, pay p3s would not record. Found the sd card was not completely seated.

I stuffed the grey wire back into the coax connector and plugged it back into the board. Do you think thats the reason the camera wont work? Its just seems odd. The drone flies fine i get good reception and video on my phone is as good as before.

I don't know how functions are allocated between the cables (grey and black). If you are receiving video on your phone, I would guess that is happening because the black wire carries the real-time video from the camera back to the phone. I'm not sure what functionality happens over the grey cable... command and control of the camera? Some kind of MIMO function? Just ACKS for video packets received by phone? I really don't know exactly.

In any case, I'd be very surprised if the grey coax could be repaired just by stuffing it back in the connector. I'd believe the shield might make contact with the outer ring of the connector that way. But could the inner conductor also be connected to the interior socket of the connector, and only the interior socket of the connector, without a short to shield? That would be very lucky indeed if it worked out that way. It seems to me that the more likely explanation is that the grey cable isn't connected properly, which is preventing the camera from being commanded to record onto the SD card. But take all that with a grain of salt. I'm just guessing.

Thanks. I was hoping to avoid replacing those cables. Watched youtube video of it being done and it seemed like a pain.

Thanks. I was hoping to avoid replacing those cables. Watched youtube video of it being done and it seemed like a pain.

I understand. I recently opened the shell on my own bird, to fix a crack near one of the motor mounts. The most tedious part of the job was just getting the shell apart. Always easier once you have done it a time or two. If you watch a good selection of videos, you might decide to go for the repair yourself. It isn't too difficult if you work slowly and carefully. As long as the gimbal board is not damaged, and hopefully not the ribbon cable either, you might get away with just a simple antenna/cable replacement, which isn't a very expensive part. Hopefully back in the air soon. Good luck.

Reactions: Dwight1

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4