crash results...can I fix?

Reaction score
Took a pretty bad crash into a fence. As you can see, the two arms of the gimbal took the brunt of the damage; the front one pushed down, the rear one pushed up. In the last pic you can see the damage is causing the gopro to not be level.
I'm worried to take pliers to the bent metal and try to straighten them back up, as it may weaken the metal more and snap off. Maybe take out the plastic pieces and replace them with zip-ties? Doing that, I could possibly make the sides higher or lower to compensate for the damage.
Suggestions?

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 531
  • DSC_0011.JPG
    DSC_0011.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 511
  • DSC_0013.JPG
    DSC_0013.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 506
Took a pretty bad crash into a fence. As you can see, the two arms of the gimbal took the brunt of the damage; the front one pushed down, the rear one pushed up. In the last pic you can see the damage is causing the gopro to not be level.
I'm worried to take pliers to the bent metal and try to straighten them back up, as it may weaken the metal more and snap off. Maybe take out the plastic pieces and replace them with zip-ties? Doing that, I could possibly make the sides higher or lower to compensate for the damage.

Youll be fine. Bend, calibrate, fly.

Otherwise ill buy It.:D
Suggestions?

Reactions: zeppelin390
Suggestions?
I did the same to mine but used some pliers to straighten it out. Good luck.

Me too! What I learned was this; you may have bent the cross arms that connect to H3-3D to the phantom. That is easy to fix as the other posters have mentioned.
This happened to me also. But, I also bent the "I beam" shaped bar between the gimbal electronics (mounted in a black box directly on the gimbal structure) and the camera mount section.
If you straighten the X shaped cross arm back to flat and the horizon is still not level, you must straighten the bar between the h3-3d electronics package (where the level sensor IC is) and the camera mount. This is not easy. Hard to get a grip on the proper portion of the body. I kept forcing it into plumb a little bit at a time. Applied a little bit of manual torque and then testing level by looking at the camera output and over and over until it was about as level as I could get it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik