Crash, recovery, near crash - gps or compass? metal roofs?

Reaction score
Hello guys.

The other day I was flying around the farmer's market in my town in Costa Rica and suddenly things started to go weird. The first problem starts at 2:49. The phantom is flying well over a roof (i was flying at around 30 to 40 meters up), and then the copter starts going down. I thought it was a Vortex Ring State so I reacted by pulling it forward and a little bit downward... but it still crashed over a roof, and then somehow recovered. Everything was very quick. That is a metal zinc roof. I was using my fatshark predator v2 googles and I lost transmission for like 10 seconds (I couldn't actually see the crash - perhaps it was too low for the signal to reach me, and the metal in the roof - I was perhaps 200 meters away from it) and battery was around 70% .

Then I bring it back and got it ready to land and then another VRS seems to happen (5:43 in the video). I again go forward and press the stick down a bit and totally recovered control. As you guys can see I was descending slow as I usually do. Not much space for a "going forward landing", so I tried to go straight down but very very slowly. :roll:

I was flying a Phantom 2 + H33D + Hero3+ (wifi off) + iosd + fatshark tx - all the time was in GPS mode and I took it up having green GPS lights plus all other usual "checks" in the checklist.

So... my question is: in the first incident, do you guys think it might have been all the zinc in the roof that somehow messed up the compass? and the second time... perhaps the homes nearby (which also had zinc).... now, I wasn't flying a meter over them. I was quite up.... any thoughts?

Video link: http://youtu.be/IOt0lfSoulk

Thank you very much for your input guys!!! This might be very helpful to all of us :mrgreen:

PS: I made some DIY landing skids which cost less than a $1 - I think they saved my Phantom from rolling over in the crash... check out how to make them here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV5KgB4fbQU might be useful for you, it has certainly helped me.

Re: Crash, recovery, near crash - gps or compass? metal roof

In both cases, before I read all of your comments I was seeing a VRS too. Especially with the first incident on the roof. It looked to me like you were descending too quick and then there is the tell tale wobble.

While the second one had the same tell tale signs, there was forward movement which I think we all understand can eliminate the VRS. Perhaps the heavy winds caused the effect to occur where it might not otherwise on a calmer day. If the wind is at your tail and your forward movement while descending is at the same speed as the wind, is that not like descending in calm conditions straight down?

Great job on recovery in the second incident.

markn said:
In both cases, before I read all of your comments I was seeing a VRS too. Especially with the first incident on the roof. It looked to me like you were descending too quick and then there is the tell tale wobble.

While the second one had the same tell tale signs, there was forward movement which I think we all understand can eliminate the VRS. Perhaps the heavy winds caused the effect to occur where it might not otherwise on a calmer day. If the wind is at your tail and your forward movement while descending is at the same speed as the wind, is that not like descending in calm conditions straight down?

Great job on recovery in the second incident.

If you must descend with the wind, in any direction, consider air speed not ground speed as your reference when trying to avoid or escape VRS.

Thanks a lot for the input guys!!! :mrgreen:

There would be a lot of heat rising from the metal roof, could that have the same effect as descending too rapidly?
I don't think it could have had a bad effect on compass or GPS, you weren't even close to it (until it hit :lol: )

4wd said:
There would be a lot of heat rising from the metal roof, could that have the same effect as descending too rapidly?
I don't think it could have had a bad effect on compass or GPS, you weren't even close to it (until it hit :lol: )

I just saw your comment. The heat theory is interesting... but I wonder if it wouldn't cool down after some meters + wind ?

What do you all think?

Either way, Costa Rica is a warm and humid place, which deteriorate flying conditions and perhaps induce VRS a little sooner then in colder/dryer places.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub