CRASH: P3Pro fell out of sky while in follow me mode.

Here is the KML and CSV from djilogs

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2015-11-14.zip
    200.4 KB · Views: 195
So both KML files have equivalent height, though it appears that the HealthyDrones accounts for HP elevation (somehow?). My guess then is the debate irt the crash into the trees or into something above the trees is a matter of visual perspective. Can you run the HealthyDrones KML through Google Earth and screen shot it w/ the same perspective as the one you did? I have a feeling they are going to be equivalent.

Attachments

• HealthyDrones-8528a627009b92c55270c5c51a7d98eb.zip
    4.2 KB · Views: 153
Interesting thread. Stuff I didn't know for sure.
Sounds like the P3Pro didn't "fall out of the sky" as per the subject title. Sounds like it crashed while in follow me mode.
Either way, sucks that it went down.

Both paths overlapped, same perspective
Capture.PNG

And the entire flight overlapped
Capture.PNG

There are some dicrepencies, but I would bet thats only because one KML is a LOT bigger than the other, leading to more guesses for the healthydrones file

So both KML files have equivalent height, though it appears that the HealthyDrones accounts for HP elevation (somehow?). My guess then is the debate irt the crash into the trees or into something above the trees is a matter of visual perspective. Can you run the HealthyDrones KML through Google Earth and screen shot it w/ the same perspective as the one you did? I have a feeling they are going to be equivalent.

Attachments

• googlemaps-healthydrones.png
    googlemaps-healthydrones.png
    668.8 KB · Views: 337
Both paths overlapped, same perspective
View attachment 36053
And the entire flight overlapped
View attachment 36054
There are some dicrepencies, but I would bet thats only because one KML is a LOT bigger than the other, leading to more guesses for the healthydrones file
That first image is the LAUNCH point.

There is a big difference between the crash points. The djilogs KML shows the drone is much higher, and falls further. The HealthyDrones file shows it much closer to the trees, and less of a descent.

Reactions: III% Streve
What I think we have learned so far is that healthydrones is NOT a good source for KML conversion!

What I think we have learned so far is that healthydrones is NOT a good source for KML conversion!
I can see that. There;s a lot more minute variances in the djilogs file.

I just want to be sure however, we're still pretty sure this was a crash due to hitting something, and not because the drone operated improperly (causing the crash), correct?

Yeah, I wonder why he truncates the data? It's clearly all there in the original file. This leaves Google tasked w/ extrapolating between points. I guess he wasn't intending these KML files to be used in crash forensics. Good to know regardless, and thanks for your help Streve.

Reactions: III% Streve

I can see that. There;s a lot more minute variances in the djilogs file.

I just want to be sure however, we're still pretty sure this was a crash due to hitting something, and not because the drone operated improperly (causing the crash), correct?
Correct. Check the dashware video and what the drone at the bottom does at the crash point.

First of all, let me just say thanks to everyone who is contributing in this thread.. you guys are awesome and I've already learned a ton.

I'm off to ship this thing to DroneFly. I'll keep monitoring, this is hugely interesting.

The problem with the Dashware video is taht what you SEE in the video could be a tree colision, a bird strike, a motor ceasing, a ESC failure, or a prop loss/break. Not that its bad info. But really leads to what is already know. The dashware video in the prop loss crash was very obvious once it was slowed down significantly. You could see the failure, and clearly define the prop involved.

Based on the rate of descent alone at the start of the crash sequence.. it was not an auto land issue. It definitely started falling. Looks like, from gimble movement, that it fell forward, and to the left. But thats about all Ive got. The initial crash movement was more like striking something on the left landing gear, leading to a prop strike on something. Still could be a bird of a tree. It couldnt have involved a prop initially because there was no rotation at the very onset. So all 4 motors had to have been functioning properly.

I think it was struck by something. You know what they say..............................

Well, if you ever go back into Wooley Swamp,
Well, you better not go at night.
There's things out there in the middle of them woods
That make a strong man die from fright.
Things that crawl and things that fly
And things that creep around on the ground.
And they say the ghost of Lucius Clay gets up and he walks around.....................

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20