Crash on the beach - why?

Reaction score
Hi.

Please help me figure out what happend. I was flying near the beach. Before starting to fly over the water I did some rapid turns, fast forward/backward etc. Drone was acting normal so I decided to record that nice cliff and when I finished and started to descend suddenly my P2 started to slide left (1:40) going to the water. I panicked so I pushed right stick in opposite direction and put the drone into the sand.
Please help me establish what might cause that. I agree the wind was strong but in the air P2 was acting normal...

Here is the video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

Between the wind and the rotor wash at such a low level it may have just blown over that way. This is one of many reasons I hand catch mine.

Reactions: djbacha
From looking, it appears you are flying backward and lowering your craft. Could have done it too fast and went into a CSC or close to it, but were too fast and too low it seems. No prop guards?

Hi.

Please help me figure out what happend. I was flying near the beach. Before starting to fly over the water I did some rapid turns, fast forward/backward etc. Drone was acting normal so I decided to record that nice cliff and when I finished and started to descend suddenly my P2 started to slide left (1:40) going to the water. I panicked so I pushed right stick in opposite direction and put the drone into the sand.
Please help me establish what might cause that. I agree the wind was strong but in the air P2 was acting normal...

Here is the video:

You hit the nail right on the head PANIC. You were just to close to the ground and hit the stick to hard to avoid going into the water. More flight time will help to control those panic attacks.

From looking, it appears you are flying backward and lowering your craft. Could have done it too fast and went into a CSC or close to it, but were too fast and too low it seems. No prop guards?

This wasn't a case of shutting down the motors with CSC nor did not having prop guards have influence on this crash. Panic was the main cause of this and what is needed is more time behinds those sticks

You hit the nail right on the head PANIC. You were just to close to the ground and hit the stick to hard to avoid going into the water. More flight time will help to control those panic attacks.

This wasn't a case of shutting down the motors with CSC nor did not having prop guards have influence on this crash. Panic was the main cause of this and what is needed is more time behinds those sticks
Cool, GI Joe said, "Knowing is half the battle," works for me.

Thanks for all replies! Thanks LuvMyTJ for warm welcome!

As jason said direct reason of the crash was my reaction to unexpected behaviour of my craft. I'm just thinking why it happened. Maybe indeed there was stronger wind + rotor wash at such low level.
Anyway.... some sand got into the motors of my craft. I cleaned it the best I can with high pressure air but still when I move them in my hands there are some noises... Do you think I should replace them (I would rather not if not needed).

Thanks for all replies! Thanks LuvMyTJ for warm welcome!

As jason said direct reason of the crash was my reaction to unexpected behaviour of my craft. I'm just thinking why it happened. Maybe indeed there was stronger wind + rotor wash at such low level.
Anyway.... some sand got into the motors of my craft. I cleaned it the best I can with high pressure air but still when I move them in my hands there are some noises... Do you think I should replace them (I would rather not if not needed).

I wouldn't replace any of the motors. The best way to clean out any sand would be to remove them from the arms and disassemble each without unsoldering the wires. If you are careful remove the c-clip, brass washer and motor housing then give them a good cleaning. There are only three moving parts 2 bearings and the magnet housing. Sure this time consuming and at the same time check to make sure the magnets are clear of any adhesive .

I already tried to open up motors like on this video:
but I didn't managed to press out a shaft inside a motor. Guy on a video is using a press. Do You have any tips how to do it without it ? (it's stuck inside very hard).

I already tried to open up motors like on this video:
but I didn't managed to press out a shaft inside a motor. Guy on a video is using a press. Do You have any tips how to do it without it ? (it's stuck inside very hard).

It all depends on which motors you have on your P2. The original motors were 2212 and the CCW motor had just a black dot on the top of the shaft where the 2312 ccw motors had a completely black shaft.

Here's how to disassemble/reassembly a 2212 motor.

This a different version of the DJI 2212 motor but the disassembly is the same.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.