Crash of The Year Video!

gmbn.inc said:
Dirty Bird said:
Whew...lucky Jeff! :shock: Figures it would hit the one tall object...saw it coming. Why I always like to be just a tad higher than the highest object I have to fly over...just in case an RTH occurs. Glad your story had a happy ending! :D

I've actually watched this video a number of times and in slo-mo... When it lost signal, it turned around but I can't see it gain any altitude at all. I've carefully watched the trees/buildings as a reference and you would definitely see it rise 60ft. It may have actually cleared that smoke stack/chimney had it risen as it should.... What do you think?

If you were already at or above 60' it wont climb any higher .... unless you reset the home point when in the air, to a higher alt. (that adds an additional height your RTH default of 20m/60') and 'that' total was higher than the tower to avoid it.

Dirty Bird said:
Last week while flying at Sideling Hill I made a tactical mistake and came within inches of a crash. I was near my truck and flew around the other side of the mountain. It dawned on me what I had just done, but it was too late. Suddenly all that granite was between me and the Phantom! She lost both control & fpv, and RTH initiated. When I watched the video later, she was heading straight into the side of the hilltop, and wound up missing some small trees by inches. It wouldn't have been a long fall, but the camera/gimbal isn't very forgiving. :shock: I broke my rule of always staying above the highest object between the Phantom and home!

Thanks Sent them an email too. Here is hoping.
My close call from last week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7pOhWJNzUE

gmbn.inc said:
yali said:
xgeek said:
LOL what are the chances of that. So much open sky :D
The chance of that is almost 100%. I bet if you do the same it will hit that tall chimney again. Why ? the reason is very simple. Your vision plus must fly in the sunny area (assume your transmitter is a sun) because the sunshine is her control command source. if she flies into the shadow cast by that chimney, she loses the control signal. When she loses signal, she will go directly home. but there definitely an obstacle between her and her home because it is that obstacle cut her signal.
The only way to avoid this is you moving away from her taking off point or fly higher than that chimney!

The signal was lost due to flying beyond its effective range, estimated at some 4000+ feet. The chimney had nothing to do with the loss of signal. When RTH is/was activated, the Phantom returns by the most direct route. The operator was directly in line with the direction the Phantom was heading. Unfortunately, somebody put that big pile of bricks and concrete in the way....

You are so lucky that the $800 worth of gimbal is intact from that kind of hard crash!

Similar thing happens to me too. it is just that the vision is a hair high than the tip of the "chimney". Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfY90vwgl_w

Dirty Bird said:
Flyer91 said:
Good for you Bird!
Did you use the general DJI email or do you have a specific addy?
Great idea!!

I wrote them at [email protected] & also [email protected] - the second one goes straight to China. They did respond saying they would consider my request. Hit 'em up...if enough of us do they may act.

I emailed them too with a copy of this video showing them what happens! we shall see!

gmbn.inc said:
Oh ok. I was under the impression it went up 20m irrelevant of where it lost signal. That's spookily interesting to know!?
So if you flew it say, 100m down into a valley for instance & signal was lost, would it rise 20m above its original launch altitude?

Exactly. Keep that in mind when flying. Either stay above the highest object along the return route, or reset your Home Point to an altitude at least as high as the highest obstacle. If you are 20m or more above your Home Point altitude at the time an RTH occurs, the Phantom will maintain that altitude.

Dirty Bird said:
Flyer91 said:
Good for you Bird!
Did you use the general DJI email or do you have a specific addy?
Great idea!!

I wrote them at [email protected] & also [email protected] - the second one goes straight to China. They did respond saying they would consider my request. Hit 'em up...if enough of us do they may act.

I wrote them just now also but I had to use the email [email protected] not u.s.support for anyone emailing

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20