Crash!!! Help me diagnose and fix!

Ell

Reaction score
Hi, I was flying my drone today 10 feet high-pressed the return to home button and instead of coming back the drone automatically flew straight up-hit a tree- and crashed on the ground dismembering the ribbon cable strip and causing other minor damage as far as I can tell. the metal attachment that connects the camera apparatus to the drone itself also flew off but i put it back and it seems to hold in place...but not certain it will hold in place if i actually start flying with it again.
Can someone verify thru the pics all thats wrong with the drone, if I can fix it myself, or my cheapest route to having someone else fix it in the shortest time possible as I really need this drone for my colorado expedition:)
Cheers and thanks!
El

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 413
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 383
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 454
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 450
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 411
  • image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 462
  • image5.JPG
    image5.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 407
I was flying my drone today 10 feet high-pressed the return to home button and instead of coming back the drone automatically flew straight up-hit a tree- and crashed on the ground
When RTH is activated (either manually or automatically), your Phantom will first ascend to whatever RTH altitude is set in DJI GO. For that reason, you should never manually activate it when there are obstacles above your Phantom's current location.

As for the damage, it looks like you'll need to do the following:
  • Replace the gimbal ribbon cable (you can get one from Amazon or DJI)
  • Reassemble the two gimbal parts (they are held together by magnets)
  • Remove the screws from the bottom of your shell so you can open it slightly to pop the tab back in
If needed, you can find videos that show how to replace the gimbal ribbon cable and disassemble the shell here.

Reactions: Ell
You do realize that when you press the RTH button that the Aircraft will go up to the RTH altitude you set before coming back.

Reactions: Ell
I hear of so many crashes like this with same scenario as above. Others have crashed because return to home was initiated and the OP then try's to still move the sticks. This stops the RTH climb to RTH altitude and starts on its way at whatever altitude it is at.
Although, this would have saved the OP n his scenario.
You would think they could add some way of disabling this, thus causing crashes from someone who did not read thoroughly the section about RTH.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
guys im forever in debt to all of u. thank u so fuckin much, goin to get this baby up and running again by sat!

@msinger u are an angel. thank u for the specifics and structure of your post! how confident are u that this is all thats wrong with my drone thru the pics? going to follow the video and have materials prepared on sat. I took the drone for a flight and everythin still seems to work without camera. only one thing...i have this dent/opening in the shell of the drone- have a picture of it above i attached. can I tuck the plastic back in or somethin? is it goin go effect the aerodynamics having that slight space exposed?

how confident are u that this is all thats wrong with my drone thru the pics?
Other things could be damaged (internally possibly too). That's all I can see in your photos though. Fix what you can see first and go from there.

i have this dent/opening in the shell of the drone- have a picture of it above i attached. can I tuck the plastic back in or somethin?
See my 3rd bullet point above. You should be able to pop that tab back in if you loosen the shell. If you decide to leave it as-is, I don't think it'll negatively affect the flight.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl