Crash from 80 feet, total destruction

The same thing happen to me this weekend at lake Havasu, I have the phantom 2 with go pro. I had over 40% battery left and I was at about 80 feet high and it came down like a rock right into the water. Went down to the bottom about 20 feet down. I dove down to get it and everything was all intact. Took it back to my room and put it all in a bag and put a 5 pound bag of rice with it. I just pulled it out to test everything and the only thing that I am having trouble with is the video transmitter. I don't know what happen, I looked at the video and right before it started coming down everything shut down and thats the end of the video.
Oh how I wish I landed in water!

Sorry to hear that, man. Total bummer. I'm preparing for that now................... I have a backup bird set to be delivered on Tuesday!!!!

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro
I wish I had a backup! I'm digging between couch cushions for my P3 fund once again.

Reactions: snerd
Go into the user center in the app and click the middle triangle button at the bottom, this will pull up your flight record. Post this for us.

The same thing happen to me this weekend at lake Havasu, I have the phantom 2 with go pro. I had over 40% battery left and I was at about 80 feet high and it came down like a rock right into the water. Went down to the bottom about 20 feet down. I dove down to get it and everything was all intact. Took it back to my room and put it all in a bag and put a 5 pound bag of rice with it. I just pulled it out to test everything and the only thing that I am having trouble with is the video transmitter. I don't know what happen, I looked at the video and right before it started coming down everything shut down and thats the end of the video.

You will more then likely need to replace the wifi module, and feel lucky if that is all you have to replace. Good luck!

It's a pretty dumb design that allows you to accidently shut the thing off while up in the air. CSC should only be allowed to work if the phantom senses it's on the deck.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

The motors will shut off immediately as soon as the sticks are in the CSC position.
Yes they do, no 3 second delay. Sorry for your loss. I feel that there should be a delay or no csc in flight.
image1.PNG

Last edited:
It's a pretty dumb design that allows you to accidently shut the thing off while up in the air. CSC should only be allowed to work if the phantom senses it's on the deck.

I totally agree.

Reactions: Oso

I respectfully disagree. I think it is a good idea to have some way to drop it immediately in an emergency, whatever that may be. The combination required to do it should be something that would not be encountered during normal flights.

FULL - down, yaw, reverse and left/right at the same time should fit that requirement.

It is unfortunate if it is initiated inadvertently, and I feel for those who have accidentally done it, but I wouldn't blame it on the design.

I think a three second delay to shut down mid air makes sense. What would require you to shut down instantly? At least have a button or switch completely separate from normal flight controls if you must have a self destruct button.

For me I can see both sides the question would at what percentage of the csc do the the sticks need to 100% I hope. I could see someone doing that motion at different gain rates 100% left from 50% down. Bad habbits from console controls.

I think a three second delay to shut down mid air makes sense. What would require you to shut down instantly? At least have a button or switch completely separate from normal flight controls if you must have a self destruct button.

I don't know, that's why I said whatever that may be.

Flying into a crowd of people comes to mind. I'd rather have a broken quad than cut up kids. 3 seconds at 40MPH may not be enough time.

Again, if you or dalebb were a victim of an accidental CSC, I feel for you, really. I know it would suck. But we all knew what would happen if we did that.

Very sorry to hear this but it sounds like a classic csc. Remember that there are 4 possible stick inputs that can iniciate a csc. Both sticks down and in, both sticks down and out, both sticks down and left and both sticks down and right. All new fliers must learn this. It is such an unusual manoeuvre that it is near impossible to do unless you don't understand this and you are just throwing it around in the air. I think one position should be enough let's say both sticks down and in but it is very necessary for most machines with moving parts to have an emergency shutdown. When you retrieve your logs let us know but if it was caused by accidental csc I'm afraid you won't have a leg to stand on and selling your p3 as spares will be your best recourse. Again sorry for your sad news.

I totally agree, why not a warning or a switch?

That's the thing, people are taking the work maneuvers to mean that I was trying to make it do flips. I was rotating it while descending and rolled around a little bit.
Descending and rotating... Now if you rotated clockwise you'd halfway to a CSC maneuver. And if, while doing that, you were backing up and sliding to the left you'd fall out of the sky.

Reactions: dalebb
I totally agree, why not a warning or a switch?
After being on forums a good while now it really is a very rare occurrence. An emergency shut off should be immediate. It's one of the main things I'd urge new fliers to learn at the very start, it's as important to know this as getting your home lock before take off imho

I don't know, that's why I said whatever that may be.

Flying into a crowd of people comes to mind. I'd rather have a broken quad than cut up kids. 3 seconds at 40MPH may not be enough time.

Again, if you or dalebb were a victim of an accidental CSC, I feel for you, really. I know it would suck. But we all knew what would happen if we did that.
Well nobody should be flying towards crowds anyhow! Haha

Very sorry to hear this but it sounds like a classic csc. Remember that there are 4 possible stick inputs that can iniciate a csc. Both sticks down and in, both sticks down and out, both sticks down and left and both sticks down and right. All new fliers must learn this. It is such an unusual manoeuvre that it is near impossible to do unless you don't understand this and you are just throwing it around in the air. I think one position should be enough let's say both sticks down and in but it is very necessary for most machines with moving parts to have an emergency shutdown. When you retrieve your logs let us know but if it was caused by accidental csc I'm afraid you won't have a leg to stand on and selling your p3 as spares will be your best recourse. Again sorry for your sad news.
Roughly how much could I get for what I've got? And where could I sell the stuff?

Roughly how much could I get for what I've got? And where could I sell the stuff?
Try sell on here in the classifieds or even in this p3 forum. Check all the individual prices of what working parts you have, controller being the most expensive, battery, props etc... I'd be hoping to get at least half the price of your p3 back?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4