Crash-Free Streak

Reaction score
We always read posts about crashes and fly-aways, but i'd like to hear from some people who have flown their Phantoms many times without incident. Have any of you NEVER had a crash (defined as falling from the sky), close-call, fly-away, etc? Or if you have, was it a lesson that helped you fly safer thereafter?

How many consecutive "safe" flights have you had? Would love to hear some of the positive stories about accident-free flying track-records!

i've had a few little topple overs, & it did bite my arm. But other than that its been faultless (oh, there was me knocking the switch & s**tting myself when it unexpectedly went into rth)

Had in excess of 100 safe flights, 1 minor stupid move. Being fully aware I was coming in near trees looked away for 2sec drifted into branch, just busted blades.

About 75 good flights. Bad to admit but first flight in yard error was to have quad facing me. It moved to its left and I moved control left. Yes, right into a cedar tree. Green on props. About 5 later a wind gust pushed it into pine tree. Two gone blades. Other two on quad are still in use today. That is only stupid events with mine. Never "went its own way." Or anything not normal. Sure has not fell out of sky(yet).
(knocking on my head, wood)

Zigged into a tree on my second and 5th flights instead of zagging - for same reason as Happyflyer above, but then I've had at least 60 no-problem flights since last February. I will add that I haven't done any kind of an upgrade either since last spring, figuring if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Flying a stock P2V.

On my first flight in my garden I caught a prop on the gazebo with no damage done.

About 50 hours in the air, once lost GPS fix, switched to atti mode, landed, and a power recycle fixed it.
I am not a calm day flyer as I have flow in a steady 20mph wind and a gusting 25 mph wind.
Other than that nothing other than loosing sight of it in the sun, relied on App to show me where it was - point it towards me and flew it back until I once gain have visual.

Read and understand the manual - take your time doing pre and post -flight checks.

paulajayne said:
Read and understand the manual - take your time doing pre and post -flight checks.
+1 on that
I spent hours reading manuals and watching youtubes before I bought one, and then I was cautious with my first few flights.
I've had one accident so far - hitting a wire fence that I thought was further away, which flipped my Phantom and landed on its back.
When I was in IT, there was one acronym I often heard used - RTFM.

Welcome to the forum! No crashes here, not yet!

Tipped my P2V+ over on it's first flight. You can hover very low with Micros. You can't with these though, lol.

Got my FC40 on Christmas Eve. Tipped that over on it's first flight too. It's centre of gravity seems to be towards the front. It wants to tip but I must not let it.

Vision Plus: Several tip-over incidents, solved with hand catching from that point.

FC-40: Collision with a power line which caused the shell to warp, the battery door to open and the battery to slide half out. Control was severely compromised but it stayed airborne and I managed to bring it in for a hand catch.

F450: Whilst testing out new Walkera G-3D gimbal and GoPro (without FPV), severe depth perception failure resulted in the F450 hitting a tree and tumbling 15 feet to the ground, landing on its side and destroying the G-3D on its maiden flight :-(

All these (totally avoidable) incidents are from about 200 flights and resulted in a total loss of 8 props and one G-3D gimbal.

100+ flights with my Phantom 2. No crashes.
One tip-over when performing CSC to turn off the motors, the phantom took off backwards while grinding 2 props into the ground. Resulted in 2 shattered props, due to the temperature being under 0 degrees celsius.
Managed to capture it on the mounted gopro. :D
The phantom probably thought it was airborne.

From that point, I went with the throttle down approach to turn off the motors.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20