Crash..Cracked shell where motor is mounted

Reaction score
I thought I was above a large tree and went directly into it. I lost two props and my P4P fell about 40'. See attached. Does anyone know where I can order a new shell? P4 will not work, doesn't have all the sensor cut outs......

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_0353.JPG
    IMG_0353.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 546
Same thing happened to me - i ordered the 4 pro body as I could find no listing for 4p4 -

May be working with a Dremel to make fit

If all else fails, try this stuff:
https://smile.amazon.com/Plast-aid-...UTF8&qid=1483975623&sr=8-1&keywords=plast+aid

I successfully repaired a prop guard. After I got the replacement, I deliberately broke the repaired one in two. It broke elsewhere, not at the patch.
You can mix it as thick or as thin as you like, it actually becomes part of the patched part.

I'd choose this before I bought a new shell and tried to Dremel it into submission... :)

Reactions: anotherlab
Before just buying a shell, I would highly recommend doing some inspection and testing to see if your gonna need anything else, a fall like that could have easily stuck/jammed the accelerometer, as well as the compass.. It also could have cracked the circuit board, or hurt one of the motors..

Check to see if any of the coils on the motors are darker than the rest or black/burnt, or smell burnt.. If not, put the drone on a flat surface and see if it boots up, whatever harm is done is not gonna further affect it imo. Turn it on, open dji go, go into your advanced settings under the quad copter setting , and select sensors... See what your gyro is at, all the values should be real close to 0, next check the compass values , make sure your not near anything electronic and see if the MOD reads around 1400... Last check the accelerometer values.. I forget exactly where they should be when the quad is sitting flat.. But what I would do is tip the quad forward and backward slowly , your X value I believe should go slowly up and slowly down as you tip in either direction... Next tip the quad side to side the Y-value should go up and down slowly as you tip the quad.. Lastly tip the quad diagonal, putting one of the 4 corners tipping down word slowly and again you should see the Z- value change slowly .. If any of these values are stuck, or not moving up or down corresponding with your movement of tipping the quad, then the accelerometer is either broken or stuck/frozen from the hard fall..

This is the BEST way imo to check your internal sensors, if you know what your looking for like I do, you should be able to clearly tell whether or not if your accelerometer, gyro, and compass are working properly or not.

Also, if all sensors check out, do an IMU recalibration ... If it's a success then things are looking up, cuz the IMU will not successfully calibrate if there is a compass error or an accelerometer/gyro error from my understanding ...

Good luck, and sorry about the crash :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just received my new p4 shell- it looks like the top piece is the same as the p4p, but the bottom is completely different, including how the legs connect. I decided to repair my damaged arm (cracked near motor) for now- it still flys fine, and wait for DJI to release a 4P4 body for parts- meanwhile I have to deal with camera problems- unrelated to my collision with the tree branch (which i flew away from).

Rmarsden1 this top shell from P4 is exactly the same for P4P. I know bottom is different, but top its fine??
what problems you have with your camera. overload motor?? do you know what do you need replacement, arm, or motor?

Before just buying a shell, I would highly recommend doing some inspection and testing to see if your gonna need anything else, a fall like that could have easily stuck/jammed the accelerometer, as well as the compass.. It also could have cracked the circuit board, or hurt one of the motors..

Check to see if any of the coils on the motors are darker than the rest or black/burnt, or smell burnt.. If not, put the drone on a flat surface and see if it boots up, whatever harm is done is not gonna further affect it imo. Turn it on, open dji go, go into your advanced settings under the quad copter setting , and select sensors... See what your gyro is at, all the values should be real close to 0, next check the compass values , make sure your not near anything electronic and see if the MOD reads around 1400... Last check the accelerometer values.. I forget exactly where they should be when the quad is sitting flat.. But what I would do is tip the quad forward and backward slowly , your X value I believe should go slowly up and slowly down as you tip in either direction... Next tip the quad side to side the Y-value should go up and down slowly as you tip the quad.. Lastly tip the quad diagonal, putting one of the 4 corners tipping down word slowly and again you should see the Z- value change slowly .. If any of these values are stuck, or not moving up or down corresponding with your movement of tipping the quad, then the accelerometer is either broken or stuck/frozen from the hard fall..

This is the BEST way imo to check your internal sensors, if you know what your looking for like I do, you should be able to clearly tell whether or not if your accelerometer, gyro, and compass are working properly or not.

Also, if all sensors check out, do an IMU recalibration ... If it's a success then things are looking up, cuz the IMU will not successfully calibrate if there is a compass error or an accelerometer/gyro error from my understanding ...

Good luck, and sorry about the crash :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The stuck IMU is a real possibility, often fixed by a deliberately aimed tap with a screwdriver handle or similar implement (often the IMU values will reveal which direction where to belt it).

The compass sensor has no moving parts however so absent a damaged cable or connection it won’t be an issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen