Crash caught on video. What the hell was that?

Has it had prop guards fitted ?
Over tightening of screws when removing them can cause compression weakness and a stress point, it may have simply broken due to stress.

here are 7 frames I was able to grab from the video. Each being 1/30th of a second apart.

frame 1, before incident:
crash.Still001_zps5qpvogac.jpg

frame 2, white object appears center of frame:
crash.Still002_zpsls8hwi9m.jpg

frame 3, white object edge of frame:
crash.Still003_zpspsjwma3m.jpg

frame 4, object missing, camera shift slightly:
crash.Still004_zpsrywaruba.jpg

frame 5, object missing, camera shift slightly:
crash.Still005_zpsqgjph6mv.jpg

frame 6, white object back in frame:
crash.Still006_zpsevr8ja3m.jpg

frame 13 (7 frames later, or 0.23 seconds later) leg orientation is seen, drone appears 90 degrees from parallel to ground.
crash.Still0013_zpspe1bqr1q.jpg

here are 7 frames I was able to grab from the video. Each being 1/30th of a second apart.

frame 1, before incident:
crash.Still001_zps5qpvogac.jpg

frame 2, white object appears center of frame:
crash.Still002_zpsls8hwi9m.jpg

frame 3, white object edge of frame:
crash.Still003_zpspsjwma3m.jpg

frame 4, object missing, camera shift slightly:
crash.Still004_zpsrywaruba.jpg

frame 5, object missing, camera shift slightly:
crash.Still005_zpsqgjph6mv.jpg

frame 6, white object back in frame:
crash.Still006_zpsevr8ja3m.jpg

frame 13 (7 frames later, or 0.23 seconds later) leg orientation is seen, drone appears 90 degrees from parallel to ground.
crash.Still0013_zpspe1bqr1q.jpg
Conclusion?

I'm not sure. I would expect a bird to take up more of the shot and be more identifiable. But it looks like it may have hit your drone then went away after disrupting your flight in a way it couldn't recover. That's just a guess.

I guess this is a friendly reminder that our drones are all eventually destined for this, it's all just a matter of time.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

do you have a 333 and a COA to fly above 400 feet? It was the FAA, they have a majic beam that strikes down all fliers over 400 feet without a COA !

I see it as a part of a broken propeller. When motor drops out of the arms, propeller hits arm and falls into smaller pieces.
Check do you have scratches on the arm of your aircraft?
The white blob was definitely the landing gear coming into view - much easier to identify on a large monitor than phone screen. I can't detect any debris coming off the P3 going frame by frame. It is just as abrupt as it appears with the P3 going into sudden roll - you make out the gimbal trying to correct for a split second.

CRASH-1.JPG
I'm wondering why the camera is showing this weird angle of the landing gear.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realize this pic has already been posted.

Last edited:
I had a similar occurrence with my P2V+, the body cracked in the motor mounts (like yours) motor popped out still working which caused the same visual effects on video. I usually don't fly very high, so it was visible to me.

I crashed my P3 and retreived it from the ground of a lake. The drone was more than 1 meter underwater for more than 10 minutes. Here's the video, the crash starts approx at 00:00:15: for a very short time, there is something visible which seems to be the root cause of the crash, but no idea what it is? I was about to descend from 500 meter above ground, with max. down-speed, the incident started in approx. 250 meter. Even if it looks like someone was shooting down the drone, I think that on of the rotors/motors was torn out due to the high downspeed and because maybe the drone-body was defect fron another crash. What is your opinion?

Anyway, it looks like the drone surveived, at least partially!

one motor is definetly defect, maybe twoof them. Now here's my question: whenever I try to start the motors (with only 3 motors attached), I'm getting an ESC status error. (please see picture below). Before I buy a new motor; do you think this error will disapear when 4 motors are attached/connected? I want to avoid buying new motors and having the same issue afterwards. Then i probably would better invest the money in a new the P4. COmments are welcome and appreciated.

I'd have to say a bird strike. I honestly didn't see anything other than the landing skids in the frames.

I crashed my P3 and retreived it from the ground of a lake. The drone was more than 1 meter underwater for more than 10 minutes. Here's the video, the crash starts approx at 00:00:15: for a very short time, there is something visible which seems to be the root cause of the crash, but no idea what it is? I was about to descend from 500 meter above ground, with max. down-speed, the incident started in approx. 250 meter. Even if it looks like someone was shooting down the drone, I think that on of the rotors/motors was torn out due to the high downspeed and because maybe the drone-body was defect fron another crash. What is your opinion?

one motor is definetly defect, maybe twoof them. Now here's my question: whenever I try to start the motors (with only 3 motors attached), I'm getting an ESC status error. (please see picture below). Before I buy a new motor; do you think this error will disapear when 4 motors are attached/connected? I want to avoid buying new motors and having the same issue afterwards. Then i probably would better invest the money in a new the P4. COmments are welcome and appreciated.

I guess you were breaking the FAA law of 400m so you did a stupid thing which makes it bad for all of us who abide by the law

Contact the DJI help desk and ask that question. I don't think any of us have answers to that question.

Which is one extra stick movement.

Only a suggestion.

Post not so long ago, spiralled and tumbled to ground like that.

Was CSC.

Can be yes just as much as no.

That is horse plop.If you watch carefully the craft started spinning like crazy.It means either the motor went off or something hit it.
Your theory is not likely in my view.

I'm very sorry. Working abroad... but I will post some news here as soon as possible. THANKS for all the answers so far.

In the absence if the OP returning with an update it would seem we
That is horse plop.If you watch carefully the craft started spinning like crazy.It means either the motor went off or something hit it.
Your theory is not likely in my view.
You dont have to watch carefully to see the spinning.

Hopefully the OP will share logs or outcome of DJI analysis of log files.

Not so long ago we had a thread here where the video of the final moments looked very similar to this. Confirmed CSC.

finally done. I had to replace 2 motors and the whole case. It looked like one of the motors went off because the body/case became instable from a earlier crash and because of the downspeed.... however, the baby is back in the air and flying. Thanks to all for your help.

I guess you were breaking the FAA law of 400m so you did a stupid thing which makes it bad for all of us who abide by the law
bye the way; here in Switzerland it is legal to fly 500 meters above ground, even more... as long as there is no air route nearby. Straight forward rules applying here. And the government provides online flight maps for drone pilots. [emoji106]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj