Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

crash because of bug? (couldn't climb above 20m)

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by cryptoron, May 18, 2014.

1. cryptoron

Today I had my first crash at the beach. I live on a hill and is where I usually lift off.

When I fly out to sea I have to lower my quad under 0m. I do this all the time but today something strange happened.

My battery level indicator of the battery of the drone turned red at a level of 68%. So I ignored this. I kept on flying for couple more minutes before I guided the drone back home.

This didn't work out well. I was not able to climb. My screen told me I was flying at an altitude of exact 20m, while in fact it was at something like 10m under me.

Fortunately I was able to land it at the beach where I picked it up.

Any ideas what was going on here? Is it a known issue?

My setup is in NAZA mode with switch S1 fully up. Would another mode have helped?

2. gecarey

Can you plug in your phantom to the software and see how many charge cycles and what % life is on the battery ??? I am having similar issues with mine, but it is in the 40-45% battery charge left range when it does the same thing....
    My problem battery has around 80 charge cycles on it and last time I checked it was at 77% of life....

3. jalpert

It seems like when something really bad happens to these things, people say things like, "something strange happened but I kept flying."

4. Flyer91

In the Sierras, 17 miles outside Yosemite N. P.
    Unfortunately for many people on the bad end of a DJI "Luck Of The Draw Purchase" ..... if they stoped flying every time something strange happened, they'd never get to fly at all. :cry:

5. MikesTooLz

wait, so there was no crash? whats with the title of this thread?

6. Mal_PV2_Ireland

Haha I thought it was going to be a crash involving a giant insect ;)

7. cryptoron

So let's make my question more clear. Is the 20m limit a result of the fail safe mode? Can I switch that off?

8. cryptoron

Ah, I just found this on the wiki.

When you switch to ATTI. Mode, MC will disengage enhanced failed-safe mode, you can re-gain control of quad-rotor.