Crash at 1540m

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just thought I'd share this clip of my phantom crashing, going down from about 1700m to 1540m in a few seconds. I think the reason was the rather abrupt maneuvers that my son, who was flying, asked the phantom to do, especially rotation. I tried to recover to no avail, as the phantom was already 80m below when I got the transmitter back and I had no idea this was happening (my son just said:"I don't want to do this anymore"). It was the 2nd flight, after about 35mins of total flight time without trouble, battery at about 50%.

In my panic, once the phantom had disappeared from view and I had no video or date feed, I made the mistake to switch off the controller hoping for the machine to right itself. It only resulted in the motors continuing to work, and depleting the battery fairly quickly. Luckily enough, I managed to reach a point on the side of the mountain where I got some data which indicated the distance and altitude difference of the phantom;s location. That lasted a minute or so before the battery died.

I did find it a week later, with the help of a guide, as I am not too keen on heights...the machine was almost exactly where it was supposed to be according to the data.

I had calibrated the compass.

Anyway, the gimball got bent slightly but apart from that, there was no other damage. Which is kind of strange as the gimball plate is rather sturdy.

The footage can be seen here http://youtu.be/g1sLTWfOYIk

Pretty cool you got it back :)

monoi said:
Hi all,

Just thought I'd share this clip of my phantom crashing, going down from about 1700m to 1540m in a few seconds. I think the reason was the rather abrupt maneuvers that my son, who was flying, asked the phantom to do, especially rotation. I tried to recover to no avail, as the phantom was already 80m below when I got the transmitter back and I had no idea this was happening (my son just said:"I don't want to do this anymore"). It was the 2nd flight, after about 35mins of total flight time without trouble, battery at about 50%.

In my panic, once the phantom had disappeared from view and I had no video or date feed, I made the mistake to switch off the controller hoping for the machine to right itself. It only resulted in the motors continuing to work, and depleting the battery fairly quickly. Luckily enough, I managed to reach a point on the side of the mountain where I got some data which indicated the distance and altitude difference of the phantom;s location. That lasted a minute or so before the battery died.

I did find it a week later, with the help of a guide, as I am not too keen on heights...the machine was almost exactly where it was supposed to be according to the data.

I had calibrated the compass.

Anyway, the gimball got bent slightly but apart from that, there was no other damage. Which is kind of strange as the gimball plate is rather sturdy.

The footage can be seen here http://youtu.be/g1sLTWfOYIk

A classic case of vortex ring state (we call it settling with power here in the UK). Quickly pushing the aileron full left or right to move out the prop wash would have got you out of it. One of the first things trainee helicopter pilots learn to avoid, and it was the cause of the fatal helicopter crash off Sumburgh, Shetland last year.

Also as in the case of many VRSs, you can hear some pretty fast wind.
Wind + aggressive manouvers seems to cause this a lot.
Glad you found your bird though!

1540 meters is well over the max alt of 400ft, so you were flying at 5052 feet, pretty stupid, and one more reason this hobby will be regulated by the FAA

AerialCinemaGuy said:
1540 meters is well over the max alt of 400ft, so you were flying at 5052 feet, pretty stupid, and one more reason this hobby will be regulated by the FAA

This isn't correct. The 400' refers to 400' above ground level, not sea level. The quad is plainly flying much less than 400' above the mountain tops, and hence is perfectly legal.

I stand corrected.. It did seem like a pretty quick fall..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr