Crash and control issues after FPV install

Reaction score
Phantom 2 with Gopro 3, installed Storm All In One FPV Premium version this morning. Using the supplied cable for the Gopro, not the Zenmuse ribbon.

Did compass calibration, locked home position, slow flashing green lights, off I go.

First 5 minutes was all good, but then started experiencing control issues. Was flying forward, not full speed, about 25 metres high, then it was as if it hit VRS and fell from the sky, lost all control, tried getting out of it but nothing, went straight down, luckily hardly any damage.

So, I tried again. Initially it hoists, can increase altitude, then I bring it down, it does not want to hoist. Up to a point where I have to land it, does not want to control well. I tried a few times by switching on and off but same issues again.

I changed transmitter batteries, main battery, tried again, same issues.

What coyld have caused this? Needless to say I am a bit bummed about this!

Is your video equipment 2.4 Ghz or 5.8 Mhz?

And which does your Phantom 2 use?

I'm not very familiar with those.

It sounds like both are using the same frequencies.

The FPV is 5.8 & his bird is 2.4
By chance was your wifi on ?
Have you tried pulling everything off to know it's the FPV causing the problem ?
Can you try and run the power and vid through the bird instead of the extra battery and GP to transmitter ?

Thanks for the replies.

I removed the whole setup, and it flies normal again.

I read somewhere that it could be the Carbon Fiber Props. So I removed them too. I am yet to try the FPV setup again. The wifi was not on.

I also could not get the FPV through the Phantom itself, not sure if I did something wrong there. But now its a another month before I can try again as I am away for work.

Thanks for the replies.

Pacific Barbarian said:
Thanks for the replies.

I removed the whole setup, and it flies normal again.

I read somewhere that it could be the Carbon Fiber Props. So I removed them too. I am yet to try the FPV setup again. The wifi was not on.

I also could not get the FPV through the Phantom itself, not sure if I did something wrong there. But now its a another month before I can try again as I am away for work.

Thanks for the replies.

I experienced something much the same you experienced. In my case I had to calibrate the NASA. I also have the carbon props. But since your Phantom was working after you removed the setup it's probably not a calibration issue with NASA. Try you setup without carbon props. And try carbon prop without setup. But I'm guessing it has something to do with the setup interfering. But, I'm only guessing.

Interesting!
The TX is a Boscam unit and is quite well respected, but does not have the lowest current consumption, so if you had a slightly compromised flight battery, it might be causing autoland issues.

Carbon props are not the best idea, as they don't seem to be as efficient as the stock versions. The new Thrust Boosted DJi props do make a difference, being quieter and more powerful.

You could have a faulty TX causing interference, but it is doubtful. I would look at simple things first, like damage caused during the install - shorting cables etc. before assuming the TX is faulty.

You didn't mention in your initial post that you were using CF props :). They are a recipe for disaster, and almost without doubt the cause of the problems you experienced.

Yes, I did not explain everything in the first post.

I flew a few times with CF props without FPV setup, it flew fine. But as soon as I had the FPV installed, it was not handling well. It crashed! Testing after the crash, new battery, all it wanted to do is autoland.

I then removed the FPV setup, did an IMU calibration, it was out, cannot remember how much, but according to the DJI youtube video on how to calibrate the IMU, it was out. After calibration, I flew again without FPV and also without the Gimbal and Gopro, and it flew well with CF props. But I removed them CF props to be on the safe side, installed the normal props and had two good flights afterwards with gimbal and gopro.

So, I think it was maybe a combination of things. IMU being out, Carbon Fiber Props.

My next plan is to do things step by step, all without CF Props.

1st: Only install the Boscam tranmitter with the Carbon Fiber Mounting Plate, not connect the power, fly it and see.
2nd: Connect the Boscam TX power, fly it and see.
3rd: Connect the Video In to the Boscam TX and see.

Want to do things step by step this time until the problem appears or not appear. I was a bit hasty to be honest. Thaught it was just all gonna work! So we learn, new to this still.

But I really want to thank everyone who has helped out here profusely, all the information is very much appreciated. Just kinda sucks I have to wait a month before I can go again!

To be fair, it normally does just work!

I have fitted a new TX today, replacing my 2W unit with an Immersion 600mW, as it is much smaller and lighter.

Simply splice a few cables and a new piece of Velcro and we were back flying.

I think you have just been unlucky!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl