[Crash and burned...can this be fixed?] Update: fixed!

Reaction score
So I guess it was bound to happen, crashed my V1.1.1 today and there was a short circuit on one of the boards by the motors. Motor doesn't work, and the light underneath it doesn't come on either. The other three are ok. Can this be replaced? Or is this a total loss?

Update: Phantom fixed and in the air!

Attachments

• IMG_0002 B.jpg
    IMG_0002 B.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 685
Re: Crash and burned...can this be fixed?

Fairly cheap and easy to replace if you have basic soldering skills. Make sure you buy one with the correct color LEDS. I burned one up when changing a motor. I dripped a bit of solder on the board.

Not a total loss. ESCs can be easily replaced with a little bit of soldering. It's about $15-20 for one of those online.

Whew......what a relief. Gonna order the board- red/ M2- and take it to an RC shop nearby, they should solder it for me, no problem. Thx guys, keep you all posted.

Another question: I know for a fact the board is fried, but how can I find out now if the actual motor is gone too? Could it be that the motor shorted or something first with the impact and caused the board to go? Wondering if I should also replace the motor while I'm at it.

The motor SHOULD be ok. its pretty rare for a motor to short out. Does it spin freely with no odd noise?

PJ105 said:
Another question: I know for a fact the board is fried, but how can I find out now if the actual motor is gone too? Could it be that the motor shorted or something first with the impact and caused the board to go? Wondering if I should also replace the motor while I'm at it.
If the motor turns freely and doesn't smell burnt, then swap it with the diagonally opposite motor which will be of the same hand thread. If it runs OK there just leave it. Install the motor you took off with the replacement ESC.

It does turn freely, yes. HOWEVER: it does have a different kinda metallic smell to it that is definitely different than the others (and I really put my nose in there with all motors, my wife was looking at me as if I'd lost it lol). Also, even though it turns freely, if I rotate it putting a little assymetrical pressure there is a point where I feel/ hear some scraping. But the smell on that affected M2 motor (and thanks for that suggestion, I didn't think of doing that) is for sure different than the others.

PJ105 said:
It does turn freely, yes. HOWEVER: it does have a different kinda metallic smell to it that is definitely different than the others (and I really put my nose in there with all motors, my wife was looking at me as if I'd lost it lol). Also, even though it turns freely, if I rotate it putting a little assymetrical pressure there is a point where I feel/ hear some scraping. But the smell on that affected M2 motor (and thanks for that suggestion, I didn't think of doing that) is for sure different than the others.
Might be safest just to replace the motor as well.

Reactions: IflyinWY

I'm happy to report that my Phantom (V1.1.1) is back from the shop and flying! Total cost for the little mishap: about $70. Changed the ESC for M2 motor, and the motor itself (to play it safe....it did smell weird, very mettalic, and very different that the others). The shell did bend a bit with the impact but I manhandled it back into position. That was the last concern I had, that the axis of the thrust of that motor would be tilted, and would cause instability. Well, took a quick flight tonight, all systems go! Thanks everybody, for your advice.

You got off light. I'm replacing two motors, two ESC's, and the lower shell. My motors overheated and melted the mounts enough to cause a slight tilt in the motors. I'll do all the labor myself but parts are run about $140. The shell is about $60, motors $16, ESC's $19.

How many hours can you expect from the average ESC? Is there actually an average? Or is it just something like 1 hour to 300 hours? :p

What causes these failures? Age? Moisture?

I've ran into leaves on several occasions and it spews moisture in those air cracks, and it's kind of worried me.

My guess would be like anything electronic it's unpredictable but solid state electronics have long life spans .Electronics worse enemy is water. Then heat. I'm ordering two while I'm ordering my two motors just in case. I'll try the old boards first and if it works I'll save the boards for future use. I've got to gut the whole bird anyway to replace the bottom shell. It's only five solder connection to each board. One thing to note for any DIY type is that all four boards have the motor wires in a different sequence so make notes. I almost overlooked that.

Reactions: Ti22
My guess would be like anything electronic it's unpredictable but solid state electronics have long life spans .Electronics worse enemy is water. Then heat. I'm ordering two while I'm ordering my two motors just in case. I'll try the old boards first and if it works I'll save the boards for future use. I've got to gut the whole bird anyway to replace the bottom shell. It's only five solder connection to each board. One thing to note for any DIY type is that all four boards have the motor wires in a different sequence so make notes. I almost overlooked that.

Good point. I do a lot of vehicle restorations and one of the first things I do is take gobs of photos. Photos of everything. Every wire, every component, routing etc. Various angles. It's come back to save me more times than I can count. When I open my 1.1.1 I'll be doing the same.

One thing I like about digital photography is that I have access to my photos instantly. In spite of that and a hand drawn wiring diagram I still reversed the leads on one motor. It was obvious on takeoff when one CW motor was turning CCW. Fortunately no damage.

Reactions: Ti22

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20