Crash and Burn, Kansas edition. Gimbal Toasted

You don't think I need a new shell? I was just trying to remove the 4 bolts holding the plate from the shell. One seems to be cross threaded from the factory and the wrench jumps out with each twist.

Mounting a go-pro is interesting. Is this common?
I do it but you need to be able to get the 4 bolt flange loose from the shell. I have a round plasic gopro base with a tripod threaded brass hole in the bottom of the round gopro fitting and the top of it is the 2 slotted fitting for the camera and longbolt.

The gopro is upside down but just select up/down within the gopro camera to invert video/camera.

When my gimbal/camera arrives from DJI, I will re-install it.
The p3p complete part from the 4 bolt flange down is on sale from DJI for 389 USD all in and free shipping currently.

Big difference here in Canada at $832. I did see one for 539 in the US but dont remember where.

PS. I'd get a new shell but will it fly normally the way it is. Mine flies better with no camera. Man is it light and agile. Lol

Reactions: ajbalzer
Wtf were you flying in Kansas today for lol. Winds here are horrible today. Im in western kansas and was to afraid to launch to take pictures for a friend. Sorry for the crash.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Wtf were you flying in Kansas today for lol. Winds here are horrible today. Im in western kansas and was to afraid to launch to take pictures for a friend. Sorry for the crash.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I was flying yesterday on the Oklahoma Kansas line area. I wanted to test it today without the camera but the winds were crazy here south of Topeka.

I do it but you need to be able to get the 4 bolt flange loose from the shell. I have a round plasic gopro base with a tripod threaded brass hole in the bottom of the round gopro fitting and the top of it is the 2 slotted fitting for the camera and longbolt.

The gopro is upside down but just select up/down within the gopro camera to invert video/camera.

When my gimbal/camera arrives from DJI, I will re-install it.
The p3p complete part from the 4 bolt flange down is on sale from DJI for 389 USD all in and free shipping currently.

Big difference here in Canada at $832. I did see one for 539 in the US but dont remember where.

PS. I'd get a new shell but will it fly normally the way it is. Mine flies better with no camera. Man is it light and agile. Lol

Will try and get it up and flying in the garage or yard tonight. Wind was stupid fast today and I will have to pop the shell back on it. I got the stripped head screw out.

Outch, that had to hurt, more than your feelings and ego. It would have crushed me... Seeing it laying there, all beat up and bruised.

RedHotPoker
Nah,RHP, that was yesterday,today its got a different camera, shined up, & waiting for calm weather[emoji41]
Nature of the game!

Yes, so she is actually ready to fly another day. ;-)
It's good to be able to smile in the midst of adversity. Hehe
A good pilot must have many or several admirable qualities.
In my estimation, Perseverance tops the list. Eh?

RedHotPoker

Reactions: dirtybum
Will try and get it up and flying in the garage or yard tonight. Wind was stupid fast today and I will have to pop the shell back on it. I got the stripped head screw out.
Good deal. Reminder......you will have to watch the IMU warmup page in the DJI go app for indication it is warm and ready. There will be a red no signal indication centered in the top banner. Everything else should indicate ok (radar, gps map and bird location, homepoint, etc)

Good deal. Reminder......you will have to watch the IMU warmup page in the DJI go app for indication it is warm and ready. There will be a red no signal indication centered in the top banner. Everything else should indicate ok (radar, gps map and bird location, homepoint, etc)

I did power it up for a screen shot last night. I think this looks promising.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    495.3 KB · Views: 381
Took it for a test spin this evening. Winds are 22-35mph right now. Might explain why it was only going about 10 mph into the wind at about 75 ft elevation.

I just let it hover for a few minutes and did turns and little forward and reverse jogs. I think the board and motors have survived. I would like to test it again in calm airs, just to see if it still "handles".

Sounds as though you got her back to flying good again. That's Well done. ;-)
Please continue to enjoy your drone, and fly safe.

RedHotPoker

I did power it up for a screen shot last night. I think this looks promising.
Yep, pretty much exactly what I see when flying the go pro.
Obviously we would be above 18% battery but I think you're good to go.

Sounds as though you got her back to flying good again. That's Well done. ;-)
Please continue to enjoy your drone, and fly safe.

RedHotPoker

We will do. Thanks for the advice. I should have a new she'll and gimbal soon. Just in time to film the spring prairie burning here in Kansas!

Yep, pretty much exactly what I see when flying the go pro.
Obviously we would be above 18% battery but I think you're good to go.

That was before I even thought about test flying. I am curious of what your set up will look like with the GoPro. I hope you post pics and whatnot.

Got the Red Baron back together tonight with a new shell and a 2.7k camera. Test power up looked good. Tomorrow we will see if she flies.

Hey, way to go, glad to hear it.
I see a smile beginning to show itself... Hahaha
Maybe have a large cup of java before heading off.
Enjoy a long safe and happy flight...
I bet your battety packs are all loaded? ;-)
Mine would be, like now, for tonight. Ha

RedHotPoker

Hey, way to go, glad to hear it.
I see a smile beginning to show itself... Hahaha
Maybe have a large cup of java before heading off.
Enjoy a long safe and happy flight...
I bet your battety packs are all loaded? ;-)
Mine would be, like now, for tonight. Ha

RedHotPoker

Yep. Wife wanted me to fly it tonight. I want to wait until morning so I can see if it is all working correctly. I am still thinking I might fix the 4K camera. I will start looking for scrap parts and new arms.

Sure beats a trip to you know where, with you know who! ;-)
I would hate sending my drone away, for unknown engths of time.
Worrying the whole time, what will happen to it, and if it will be fixed.

Doing it yourself is really the only way to go, if possible. Good for you.

RedHotPoker

Gave it a quick fly this AM after an IMU calibration. I was having issues of the gimbal not transmitting/not responding. I was using a 64gb card from my 4K camera and I don't know if that was an issue or not. I installed the 32gb card and it worked flawlessly after several tests. I did have to adjust the gimbal position on the flight. It was pointing at 11 o'clock. I only flew it about 150 ft up and 1/2 mile out over the neighbors pasture.

A few more test flights and I think the thing will be read for a good run.

That was before I even thought about test flying. I am curious of what your set up will look like with the GoPro. I hope you post pics and whatnot.
Here you go ajbalzer............

2078A66A-31AA-43D1-81BD-20A201762B2F_zpsj9kininp.jpg

2078A66A-31AA-43D1-81BD-20A201762B2F_zpsj9kininp.jpg

E6B3933E-296E-4D19-B09B-13F91639A4A0_zpscjdvryxj.jpg

9CA189FA-3F23-4D77-B495-65CCBFEFF547_zpsexj1s4er.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member