Crash Aftermath - Gimbal

Reaction score
My P3P took a hard hit into the ground a couple weeks ago. I feel it was a fly away issue since it was uncontrollable and descending full speed at a 90 degree angle. Been trying to contact DJI by phone and email with no luck. They suck!!!

I've been testing the P3 out though and I know I need a new body shell and battery cage. I recently bought a cable kit since both cables leading to the gimbal/camera were ripped from the connectors. The motors fired up just fine and powered down as they should. The GPS works - getting a strong signal and I can calibrate the compass. LEDs work and do the correct changes through calibration, etc. The camera works (although I have not tried to record anything) in video and photo settings.

The one thing that does not work is the gimbal. When powering up, it just hangs limp. There is no motor resistance and the camera can be moved around easily. The cable receptacle on the circuit board and camera housing appear to have no damage. The camera and gimbal overall have no signs of bends, cracks, breaks or any other damage. It looks fine. The ribbon cable looks fine too.

Anyone have an idea if it could be the ribbon cable? Could any of the interior components of the gimbal be inoperable from a crash? I did take covers off the gimbal and did not see anything that looked fried or disconnected or unusual in any way.

My P3 crashed in a field from about 150' up. Two rotor arms and the camera took the hit. The camera/gimbal was ripped from the P3. However, like I said, it looks fine. DJI just isn't responding to my emails in any significant manner. And, if I do finally get hold of them, I really don't want to send in my P3 and wait for a few months to get it back.

Please help!

Just ran a test on the camera. It looks fine in photo mode monitoring on my iPad. However, when I take a still it has a bad moire pattern across the image. When I switch to video mode I get bad vertical lines across the screen. I can record though but the vertical lines are on the recording. When I reset the camera it goes back into photo mode and again looks good on the iPad but I get the same bad results on the still image.

P3P Test Still 8-11-2015.JPG

Just ran a test on the camera. It looks fine in photo mode monitoring on my iPad. However, when I take a still it has a bad moire pattern across the image. When I switch to video mode I get bad vertical lines across the screen. I can record though but the vertical lines are on the recording. When I reset the camera it goes back into photo mode and again looks good on the iPad but I get the same bad results on the still image.

View attachment 27216
IMO you should look for a camera-gimbal replacement after you have tried a ribbon cable replacement. -- just no way to assess the damage to the internals of the camera and gimbal.
That picture is strange-- have seen on of those previously with those characteristics.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4