Crash after Firmware update while using Autopilot

Reaction score
I've had an unfortunate experience today following a firmware update. For a few days I've seen the DJI message regarding an update "next week". Today, upon starting up my phantom 4 pro the system stated a firmware update was required, which I proceed to do. After the update was complete I was anticipating a message saying I would need to log into my account, but received no such message. I then took off using DJI Go 4. In the air I switched to Autopilot (Hangar) and ran a mission. After the mission my intent was to disengage and fly back manually using DJI Go 4. Normally when I disengage in Autopilot the drone will hover in place, but today the motors instantly shut off and the craft dropped like a rock. The drone is well damaged.

Could this be related to the firmware update?

You disconnect the same way I do, but I haven't done the firmware yet and it still hovers in place with Autopilot after flight completion, until I land it manually after restarting GO.

Did you calibrate the drone's compass, IMU, and VPS after the firmware update?

Might want to alert Hanger and see what they say. This must be tied to the SDK kit both they and Litchi use so who knows what they've done.

You disconnect the same way I do, but I haven't done the firmware yet and it still hovers in place with Autopilot after flight completion, until I land it manually after restarting GO.

Might want to alert Hanger and see what they say. This must be tied to the SDK kit both they and Litchi use so who knows what they've done.

I did calibrate the compass, and then took off using the "record starting point precisely" option. I'm not familiar with calibrating the IMU and VPS, but I did receive the message that the drone was ready for take-off.

I did calibrate the compass, and then took off using the "record starting point precisely" option. I'm not familiar with calibrating the IMU and VPS, but I did receive the message that the drone was ready for take-off.
This is a mystery and it's unfortunate that you won't have a DJI Go flight record to investigate.
But the internal data recorder will show DJI whatever they need to see what happened.
About all we can do is eliminate some factors that would not have caused or contributed.

It's not necessary to recalibrate anything after an update and none of those things would do anything to shut down motors i flight anyway.
It's also unlikely that the update would have that effect either.
Closing an app shouldn't affect anything either. The Phantom would be expected to just hover waiting for you to come back and give it some control input.
Is there any need to close one app and start another to come back?
Surely Autopilot can be used to bring the Phantom back like Litchi can??

This is a mystery and it's unfortunate that you won't have a DJI Go flight record to investigate.
But the internal data recorder will show DJI whatever they need to see what happened.
About all we can do is eliminate some factors that would not have caused or contributed.

It's not necessary to recalibrate anything after an update and none of those things would do anything to shut down motors i flight anyway.
It's also unlikely that the update would have that effect either.
Closing an app shouldn't affect anything either. The Phantom would be expected to just hover waiting for you to come back and give it some control input.
Is there any need to close one app and start another to come back?
Surely Autopilot can be used to bring the Phantom back like Litchi can??

There is generally not a need to close Autopilot and open DJI Go to return, but I'm in the habit of doing it as I like manual flying better in the DJI app. In this particular case I was in Orbit Mode, and could not find any other way to stop it. It seemed my only options were Pause or Disengage. I do find I have to go back and forth between Autopilot and DJI if I need to adjust a camera setting. I'm still learning the ropes in Autopilot, so there are probably things I'm not aware of.

Just posting to report a positive outcome to my drone malfunction. I sent the P4P, purchased about 5 months ago, to DJI and uploaded flight records per their instructions. DJI said this would qualify for a warranty repair (as in no charge). The drone was replaced with a new one (or at least different serial number). So, I would have to say that the service was perfect, and it was nice not having to defend my position! Time from the day I shipped it until the new one arrived was just under one month.

Reactions: NorthcountySD
Good to hear,...btw Autopilot beta 4.1 you can now change camera settings etc while in Autopilot.

As a phantom pilot since my P2 v+ I have just recently attempted to get my arms around AutoPilot and the functions... is it me or is it just difficult to grasp the power of this software? For those that have used it and continue what would you suggest I start with to learn other then the YouTube tutorials. The more functions the software has the more I don't trust it. I currently have a P3P and a P4 that I would like to get in the air together using Airspace. But as I learn it seems a pretty steep curve!

Thanks for any input

As a phantom pilot since my P2 v+ I have just recently attempted to get my arms around AutoPilot and the functions... is it me or is it just difficult to grasp the power of this software? For those that have used it and continue what would you suggest I start with to learn other then the YouTube tutorials. The more functions the software has the more I don't trust it. I currently have a P3P and a P4 that I would like to get in the air together using Airspace. But as I learn it seems a pretty steep curve!

Thanks for any input

It takes time and lots of use. Fwiw, I've never used any of the Flight Modes in GO 4 so that's news to me and a learning curve for them too, but I know AP better so I use it and route plan on it. One thing going for the GO Flight Modes would be if you knacker up the bird into a tree due to a hardware or software fault, then using the GO app would be covered under warranty where AP and Litchi will not be per DJI warranty.

Fwiw, I thought I needed a PhD. to figure out Photoshop when I bought it. I was even looking for a home tutor and local college just taught the cheaper Photoshop Elements version. Now it's not so scary anymore. Autopilot is the same way. Use it and learn it. Make some simple box patterns and orbits and see how it performs. Videos help and seems every time I watch one I learn something that I forgot or overlooked before.

Yep, a steep learning curve is there, but final rewards of cinema smoothness are worth it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan