Crappy reception. Is it 5.8GHz fault?

Reaction score
Can only get about 1000' max with the P3 Standard before it loses signal and triggers RTH. Wondering what others are getting for range?

FWIW, I replaced the whip antenna with a clover style and it doubled from a paltry 500'.

I'm wondering if maybe it's on the aircraft side?

Thoughts?
Screenshot_2015-10-08-14-56-15_resized.png
Screenshot_2015-10-08-14-56-34.png
20151008_151718_resized.jpg

Reactions: tavorh
We get 1700 feet stock aerial - distance out !! and that's the 500m limit! , height wise we can only get 400feet and thats the limit here in the UK ;) - So full range here. But we did send the first one back as it could only do 100 feet!!!!

Plus flying directly over is not the best place to fly ;)

Last edited:
I don't think that antenna works too well with the stock antenna on the P3S In my opinion.
As far as I recall, unless you change to the same clover leak antenna on the receiver you will only get a little benefit from it.

With the stock antenna, since you're right under it, you have to lay the antenna down flat to get higher, or point the controller straight up at the bird.

Also, if you'r right underneath it, your signal won't be as strong as if it's a few hundred feet distance and then going up as you aim the controller at it.

Don't forget though, the 2.4Ghz antennas are at a slightly down-pointing angle, so if you point straight at the bird, it will be off at a 1000feet by a lot. Always aim it about 10-15degrees up vs the bird's orientation. You might get more than way? Although not sure now with the changed antenna you have.

I could fly 2500' (or more) above me with my P2 (2.4 GHz). I'll try it up north at my cabin in the mountains (far less interference) and up at an angle and post my results tomorrow.

That's pretty darn far up for a P2. Not bad. I've hit the max limit on my P3 up, but had to aim the controller at it, otherwise it didn't go higher than 1/2 that. I don't do height much though as I want to stay under 400feet for safety reasons. :)

This upcoming Holiday Season is predicted to be the biggest yet for drone sales.

Going back to a two-band 2.4ghz WiFi and 5.8ghz RC solution (like the P2V+) enabled DJI to get the P3S price down to $700. The P3A is an extra $300 and the P3P and extra $560. That is a lot of buying power to spend on other things for many folks.

Lets hope DJI resolves various reported P3S issues soon or it will be disaster after the holiday season.

Regardless, the P3S section of this forum should boom here in a few months.

---------------------------
I've successfully adapted the REDbird device to repeat the P3S 5.8ghz signal. It auto-detects if binding the 5.8ghz signal to a P2V+ or P3S.

However, that's sort of an expensive solution if just repeating the P3S 5.8ghz signal.
Need to also repeat the P3S WiFi signal too. (I'm 10 days or so away from field testing the wifi part.)

replaced one aircraft antenna with a clover style antenna and increased range by about 40%. Now I can get about 1000' before weak signal (with stock whip style antenna's it was only about 500' directly above).

I've only tested this setup in the city. I'll be back up north in the country this weekend and hope to get about 2000'

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-11-16-19-10.png
    Screenshot_2015-10-11-16-19-10.png
    447.5 KB · Views: 459
I got 750 feet altitude today with mine. Lots of tall pine trees around me. Never lost signal but the winds were gusting at 24mph so i brought her down. I have modded my antenna by cutting a shield from a plastic laundry detergent bottle and then wrapping one side with tin foil and cutting holes to slide over my antenna. Took about 10 minutes to make and so far seems to have drastically increased my range while flying next to tall trees

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20