Cracks in shell, advise pls

I have sent a request into DJI and to where I purchased my P3P from about getting the updated motors and frame, and I have not heard a thing back from either of them. Since my order date was in mid October, I just thought I would be getting the updated frame and motors, but this was not the case. I didn't realize this until after I actually saw an image of what the new motors looked like. Up until then, I thought I had everything updated when I purchased the P3P since it was over a week after they made the announcement. So, apparently, DJI and their authorized dealers continued to sell the defective P3P even after they made an announcement that they were defective. This is where I have my issue. I am trying to correct it, and I have not heard anything back from the authorized dealer or DJI. Any comments or suggestions? Thank you!
Until there is a better player in the game DJI will continue to get away with murder. I need a backup for my business and I am waiting for something to come out to be my steady go-to quad. Good luck to everyone, it ain't easy dealing with DJI remember they are number 1 out of the box but they are a Chinese company, enough said.

I have sent a request into DJI and to where I purchased my P3P from about getting the updated motors and frame, and I have not heard a thing back from either of them. Since my order date was in mid October, I just thought I would be getting the updated frame and motors, but this was not the case. I didn't realize this until after I actually saw an image of what the new motors looked like. Up until then, I thought I had everything updated when I purchased the P3P since it was over a week after they made the announcement. So, apparently, DJI and their authorized dealers continued to sell the defective P3P even after they made an announcement that they were defective. This is where I have my issue. I am trying to correct it, and I have not heard anything back from the authorized dealer or DJI. Any comments or suggestions? Thank you!
There is no defect in the the first version of the P3. There is a flaw in a small percentage of the first version. Thinking you are going to get a new bird through a program created to replace a lower shell is ludicrous! There is no reason at all to think that all old stock would be sold prior to breaking in to new stock. Not only common sense, but its its common sense in everything commerce driven!

I am saving up for a inspire pro but i don't think i will bother now dji just lost 1 fan.

There is no defect in the the first version of the P3. There is a flaw in a small percentage of the first version. Thinking you are going to get a new bird through a program created to replace a lower shell is ludicrous! There is no reason at all to think that all old stock would be sold prior to breaking in to new stock. Not only common sense, but its its common sense in everything commerce driven!
You don't need to defend DJI.

It's just a manipulated theory that there is a small flaw in small percentage of the first version. Why can't be flaw in the second version too?

I never said I was trying to get a new P3P, I just want the one I have to be what I paid for. Funny that no one from DJI or the authorised distributor has yet to answer any of my inquires. And you say there is no defect, then why are so many having issues with cracking? That to me, this is a serious defect, especially after paying $1,259.00. I am NOT out to get a new P3P, I just want some answers.

I never said I was trying to get a new P3P, I just want the one I have to be what I paid for. Funny that no one from DJI or the authorised distributor has yet to answer any of my inquires. And you say there is no defect, then why are so many having issues with cracking? That to me, this is a serious defect, especially after paying $1,259.00. I am NOT out to get a new P3P, I just want some answers.
Your first sentence...

"I have sent a request into DJI and to where I purchased my P3P from about getting the updated motors and frame, and I have not heard a thing back from either of them"

You bought a P3P. You got what you paid for. Its nothing but nuts to think they "owe" you the newest version! Obviously there is nothing wrong with expecting cracks to be repaired though. And many are having no issue getting this done. As for it being "so many having issues"... There are a few dozen here.. out of 30000 members. DJI sells far in excess of 20000 units A MONTH! So in the grand scheme of things, there MIGHT be 1% that have cracking issues. Not saying that it shouldnt be addressed! Just that it needs to be seen for what it is... a very limited, potentially dangerous, issue.

You don't need to defend DJI.

It's just a manipulated theory that there is a small flaw in small percentage of the first version. Why can't be flaw in the second version too?
It has nothing to do with defending anyone. Its dealing with the issue factually. The reality is, as I stated in the prior post, that a very small percentage of P3s sold have a cracking issue. I never said that the new version didnt have cracking problems. In fact there have been a very few that have reported cracks with the new version. The cracks are obviously happening. And there is, as has been reported by most, a pretty simple and expedient, solution for getting them taken care of. I dont know what it is specifically because I have no cracks to be repaired.

Your first sentence...

"I have sent a request into DJI and to where I purchased my P3P from about getting the updated motors and frame, and I have not heard a thing back from either of them"

You bought a P3P. You got what you paid for. Its nothing but nuts to think they "owe" you the newest version! Obviously there is nothing wrong with expecting cracks to be repaired though. And many are having no issue getting this done. As for it being "so many having issues"... There are a few dozen here.. out of 30000 members. DJI sells far in excess of 20000 units A MONTH! So in the grand scheme of things, there MIGHT be 1% that have cracking issues. Not saying that it shouldnt be addressed! Just that it needs to be seen for what it is... a very limited, potentially dangerous, issue.
You just touched on my exact point, "...a very limited, potentially dangerous, issue." Again, I'm NOT looking for a replacement, I just want to prevent having a catastrophic failure. I got what I paid for as long as my P3P doesn't crack under normal use. Again, I'm just looking for answers.

Last edited:
As I said, there are a lot of people here that have had great experiences getting their lower shells replaced. Some getting theirs back in less than 2 two weeks. The solution is out there! I would suggest finding those people and asking them what their process was. There are FAR too many threads about the same problem, making finding anything just that much harder. But search and you will find!

As I said, there are a lot of people here that have had great experiences getting their lower shells replaced. Some getting theirs back in less than 2 two weeks. The solution is out there! I would suggest finding those people and asking them what their process was. There are FAR too many threads about the same problem, making finding anything just that much harder. But search and you will find!
Thank you, and if you know of any solution, please let me know. I appreciate it.

Reactions: III% Streve
Even I don't have cracks on my P3 but what worries me is why some have cracks and others don't.

I have Samsung refrigerator. It's cooling fan started making loud noise after two years of use. I searched on Internet and found people have complained for such issues. I contacted Samsung service center and they shipped me a new fan with mounting instructions. When I opened the rear cover of my fridge to replace the fan, I found that fantasy was mounted on a weak plastic angle and it got little softened due to heat and started vibrating along with fan and moved slightly forward and fan blades started touching other plastic parts. I simply replaced those plastic mounts with metal mounts and the same fan is running smoothly for last 6 years with no problems at all.

My point here is that not every Samsung buyer of that model is facing the problem and only few have reported on Internet. But there is a basic design flaw which causes fan to get noisy after a year or so if there is a misalignment due to any reason. Metal substitute is not allowing it to deviate from its minted position and all is ok thereafter.

Same thing has happened with P3 shells/ motors. All have not faced the issue, few have complained on Internet and there is a solution to resolve the issue. But DJI is just replacing the old cracked shells. I see the issue as a design problem but DJI will not admit it as otherwise they got to recall all P3s. That's ok but DJI should offer a better solution to all. Replacing the shells is not the right solution.

Reactions: schroeder1959
I totally agree alokbhargava!!! My point exactly! As far as I know, my P3P is okay. I fly very carefully and don't make any aggressive moves. I do have the quick connect prop guards on, just for additional safety, not sure if the prop guard mounts are reinforcing the end of the arm and motor mounts or not. I am just about making things right, and making sure I am safe at all times. There has got to be a simple and safe solution to this problem, other than using zip ties on the end of the arms to reinforce them. I hope we can all find this solution before it does become a catastrophe, and someone or some property gets injured or destroyed as a result.

Even I don't have cracks on my P3 but what worries me is why some have cracks and others don't.

I have Samsung refrigerator. It's cooling fan started making loud noise after two years of use. I searched on Internet and found people have complained for such issues. I contacted Samsung service center and they shipped me a new fan with mounting instructions. When I opened the rear cover of my fridge to replace the fan, I found that fantasy was mounted on a weak plastic angle and it got little softened due to heat and started vibrating along with fan and moved slightly forward and fan blades started touching other plastic parts. I simply replaced those plastic mounts with metal mounts and the same fan is running smoothly for last 6 years with no problems at all.

My point here is that not every Samsung buyer of that model is facing the problem and only few have reported on Internet. But there is a basic design flaw which causes fan to get noisy after a year or so if there is a misalignment due to any reason. Metal substitute is not allowing it to deviate from its minted position and all is ok thereafter.

Same thing has happened with P3 shells/ motors. All have not faced the issue, few have complained on Internet and there is a solution to resolve the issue. But DJI is just replacing the old cracked shells. I see the issue as a design problem but DJI will not admit it as otherwise they got to recall all P3s. That's ok but DJI should offer a better solution to all. Replacing the shells is not the right solution.
If it were a design flaw then, like your Fridge issue, it would happen to everyone. Eventually heat and weight leads to a definite failure. The P3s arent all cracking. Heat has been eliminated as a contributing factor, and if one mentions unbalanced pros as a potential all the children throw a tantrum. If its a global flaw then there has to be a trigger that starts the cracks, and will for everyone. Again.. that isnt happening. Its most likely a batch of cases that come from one supplier. DJI didn't track what serial # P3s have that batch of cases, so there is no way to know who is affected without waiting for the call. Samsung didn't preemptively send all the fridge owners a new fan. They waited for calls. So is DJI. Where is that wrong?

I think you are not getting my point.

I'm sure all batches had gone through their QC. I feel design is very critical to take care of manufacturing tolerances/ deviations. It's not a robust design.

Who gave you the batch theory? It's normal to have deviations from batch to batch but a good design should take care of it or else QC should catch that bad batch.

If someone says enough QC is not done, then it's not our problem.

By the way, have DJI found a solution to the issue/ root cause of the issue and a quick fix for it?

Last edited:
Reactions: schroeder1959

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj