Cracks in shell, advise pls

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I just picked two of the many trusted posters, but all are welcome to help.

See below, seen yesterday. I inspect everyday, so this just happened. 75 flights in, 500k of flying, 10hrs flight time. No crazy acrobatics or risky flying...;)

This Crack is on port aft shaft arm. Small, but what are the recommended actions? Zip ties? Nothing?

Thanks all.

Attachments

• 1441676405139.jpg
    1441676405139.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 655
  • 1441676417803.jpg
    1441676417803.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 608
  • 1441676434421.jpg
    1441676434421.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 598
A well known and heavily discussed problem which seems to be a design/manufacturing defect. Google or Search it and you will find some repair techniques, but I understand that DJI was replacing some half shells on the warranty.

Many have put zip ties on with success, so far. I was using rubber bands, bound as tight as I could get them, for awhile, but also put on zip ties last week for good measure. I already had one small hairline crack on one of the back holes before treating, so far no new ones have appeared.

Well I would say that is less terrible than this: Catastrophic design flaw of Phantom 3 | DJI Phantom Forum

Caveat: this is not an area I know about first hand yet. I'm sure it will be soon though.

The motor mount area looks fine. I would check that the screw is still torqued into it's socket and not loose and that there aren't any cracks extending from the hole. If it passes that criteria, I don't see an immediate problem but keep an eye on it.

Reactions: Tricky
I installed these...seem to work great. Strong Arm reinforcement plate
Will these reinforcement modules work with the quick disconnect prop guards? I was hoping that my prop guard mount would reinforce the area. Also, if they do work with the prop guards, do they send the correct length screws? Thanks!

I would use strongarms! But on a p2 of mine that had this happen in every hole due to threadlocker eating the plastic,
I used quality electricians tape. It held perfect wrapped around a couple times, you can use one stripe or two, comes in any color even white.

Sent mine in today to the shop i bought it from its being sent back to dji ill let you no what happens. Mine was about 28 easy flights in no crashes no crazy flying and i got the exact same problem as you. All this cable ties and re enforcement plates is bull we shouldn't have to do this they are not toys that cost £100. The guy at the shop said its nothing he would just keep flying it but after spending £1399 for the package i would prefer it not to have holes appearing in it.

Attachments

• 20151104_101529.jpg
    20151104_101529.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 368
  • 20151104_101529.jpg
    20151104_101529.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 341
I have sent a request into DJI and to where I purchased my P3P from about getting the updated motors and frame, and I have not heard a thing back from either of them. Since my order date was in mid October, I just thought I would be getting the updated frame and motors, but this was not the case. I didn't realize this until after I actually saw an image of what the new motors looked like. Up until then, I thought I had everything updated when I purchased the P3P since it was over a week after they made the announcement. So, apparently, DJI and their authorized dealers continued to sell the defective P3P even after they made an announcement that they were defective. This is where I have my issue. I am trying to correct it, and I have not heard anything back from the authorized dealer or DJI. Any comments or suggestions? Thank you!

I bought the strong arms and put them on brand new/never used P3P (new motors, new frame) and had cracks after 7 flights. Spin the wheel, I sell you mine. All of it, guards and strong arms, and no I had to buy screws long enough to go through both. That is when I found the cracks from the strong arms.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers