Cracks appearing around motor mounts after 10 mins into flight.

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a P3A & iv'e had it since June 2016. I noticed some cracks around the area where the motors mount & I have been told this does happen. The shell is "version 2". I got a brand new replacement shell yesterday from local DJI dealer here on the Gold Coast. It too is "version 2". I stripped down the old one & swapped all components over to the new shell. I took particular care not to tighten the motor screws too tight but did the gentle wrist tightness. Took it to my local haunt & all went well & I brought it back after ten minutes & discovered cracks starting in two of the motor mounts. I am at my wits end as to why this would happen. Your going to ask the question why I did not sent it in to be done. In Oz it would be a big waiting list at this time of year & the cost would be heavenly. Looking forward to your input guys.

Thanks Dave...

I'm in the same boat but still didn't change the shell (just buy it). I'll wait for winter season to take the time to do the job slowly. but question:

- how can i know i have a v.2 shell now (cracked one)
- how can i know the one i bought is not v2 ?

thank's

@Dave: You seem to be unlucky. Get the shell replaced again.

If you go through the forum, you will find some have suggested to use strong arm supporting plates so that the stresses of the screws is transferred to these plates and shell remain safe. Not sure how much it helps but one should use the right screws else you damage the motors.

Recently some one suggested to keep the shell in boiling water for two minutes and then dip it into cold water.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

@Dave: You seem to be unlucky. Get the shell replaced again.

If you go through the forum, you will find some have suggested to use strong arm supporting plates so that the stresses of the screws is transferred to these plates and shell remain safe. Not sure how much it helps but one should use the right screws else you damage the motors.

Recently some one suggested to keep the shell in boiling water for two minutes and then dip it into cold water.

Many thanks for your reply. I fear that we may have "old stock" in Australia of this item & that the plastic is already brittle. I am no expert but I am reluctant to shelve out another AU$99.00 for another shell only to find I have the same issue. I did look at the aluminum motor base plates & thought that was a great idea but on more reading up on the matter have read a lot of negative comments as well. But I am more than happy to give it a go if I am going to solve my problem. Just a note to others doing this conversion, when doing the swap over yesterday I noticed the two wires that drive the cooling fan were crushed by the the board that the antenna are attached to. Not a great piece of engineering from DJI. I wonder how many other have this same defect. Would anyone know where I can get a new shell / cover for the "vision positioning system". I know one can buy the whole thing with the board mounted but I only require the cover & I don't think DJI sell that item stand alone.

Thanks Dave...

I'm in the same boat but still didn't change the shell (just buy it). I'll wait for winter season to take the time to do the job slowly. but question:

- how can i know i have a v.2 shell now (cracked one)
- how can i know the one i bought is not v2 ?

thank's
Have a look at this that was on the forum :New? Shell Differences | DJI Phantom Forum

Hi Guys, Just a follow up on my situation. I took your advice & went back to see the DJI dealer in Helensvale on the Gold Coast & he refunded me without question which I thought was very good of him. I must just return the damaged shell to him sometime in the new year. Now, to get another shell without the glitches. Any suggestion where to buy & what version to get. Your input will be much appreciated.

Dave...

Last edited:
Just received mine from best buy. First flight and I have stress cracks on every corner... Why can't DJI get this figured out

Return it ASAP. I guess there was a batch of bad one's & you & I got unlucky. I hope your next one brings you better luck. I ordered two bottom shells online from an online source in China for less than what DJI wanted for one complete shell replacement & so far so good. I did however from start put on 4 aluminium motor base plates as recommended by this forum on the new bottom shell & can I can report all good so far. Let us know how you get on with your warranty claim.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl