Cracked shell near motor, is this bird grounded?

Reaction score
Noticed a small crack on the top shell near one of the motors (see picture).
This is strange as this Phantom has never been crashed, tipped over a couple of times on landing yes, but never crashed.

Is this a dangerous situation where it could cause the air-frame to fail in mid flight if the crack progresses more, or is it something I can just put some glue on it and not worry about? Does the motor attach to the bottom frame, the top or both?

I am deciding whether to ground this copter while I have a chance to buy and replace the shell.

Attachments

• Crack.png
    Crack.png
    81.5 KB · Views: 607
I don't believe it to be a huge deal. Mine has the same, one even worse on two seperate arms. The top is just a lid for the Phantom. The only connections to it, is the GPS which is the middle. If you flip your phantom over, the 4 screws directly under your motor are the ones keeping them attached.

If you want to put a little glue or some sort of repair, i would suggest removing the lid first, so not to glue or get it stuck to the rest of the phantom for easy removal later on.

http://youtu.be/FLgwyoJvqM8?t=1m29s

Simon here has a older video that shows which screws to take out to open the phantom

I agree with tgreenstone. Just remove the lid, roughen up the surface on the inside near the crack with some sandpaper, then apply some epoxy. (Roughening the surface increases the adhesion of the epoxy.)

Thanks guys, I'll get that glue on when I open this up for ESC and Motor upgrades coming up. I wonder how the crack happened, never crashed this thing.

Is it worth buying shell and putting it on rather than warranty work I put shock absorbing mounts underneath and I don't want them returning it if they see I unscrewed the mounts.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers