cracked plastic

Reaction score
hi,

this week i purchased my first quadcopter (dji phantom vision 2 plus) second hand. the guy i purchased it off gave me a demo and all seemed well and good. upon returning home i have noticed a small crack in the plastic on one of the rear motor mounts.

GlQa6xg.jpg

am i safe to fly it or do i need to get the shell replaced?

thanks

A crack like the one shown in that picture doesn't seem like it would significantly affect the structural integrity of the unit. If the prop motor in proximity to the crack seems secure and rigidly connected to the frame (no different than the other motors), then the crack will not be a big issue. I would recommend keeping an eye on the crack between flights to make sure it's not increasing in size (don't want it to spread, like windshield cracks sometimes do).

If the phantom works normally and the crack isn't spreading, a new shell would mostly be a cosmetic benefit. There is probably a marginal and insignificant aerodynamic cost to the crack that wouldn't be noticeable or meaningful.

Xplizit said:
hi,

this week i purchased my first quadcopter (dji phantom vision 2 plus) second hand. the guy i purchased it off gave me a demo and all seemed well and good. upon returning home i have noticed a small crack in the plastic on one of the rear motor mounts.
am i safe to fly it or do i need to get the shell replaced?

thanks
It's probably safe, but I would at least drill a stop hole and use some superglue on the crack. If it spreads at all, then order a new shell.

http://flighttraining.aopa.org/magazine/1999/October/199910_Flying_Smart_What_It_Looks_Like.html
Stop%20Hole.JPG

Speaking from experience, I would try everything before considering a new shell. See my post "Screwing Around". I have used "E6000" glue on my Phantom where I busted the plastic on the bottom half at the tip (I over tightened and a 1/4" chunk broke out). E6000 is like model airplane glue, but a lot stronger and stringy. I would dab a small glob on the outside along the crack and allow it to cure. As you can see from the pictures in the post there are a lot of screws holding the arms together in one way or another.

-Tim

It seems to be a common issue for the area around the motor mounts to develop stress fractures. The plastic in the area is thin and stiff. As it is white, I am doubtful it is UV tolerant. I have stress fractures at all four engine mounts of various degrees. If it is only at the edge as your's appears, it probably isn't too critical. If you have stress cracks around the motor mount screws (as mine is developing) you need to be more concerned because if the engine mount rips out in flight you are definitely coming down. I have a spare shell here, but am weighing my options for the best glue to avoid the hassle of a total reshell.

thanks all for your help, i will see how it goes and keep a close eye on it in between flights. if it gets worse i will get a new shell

I found a small crack in mine also. I used an epoxy product called JB Weld. I broke a cover right off on my shingle air gun and put it back together with this stuff and it's still holding. It takes a day to set up proper, but then it is tough stuff.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 997
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 594
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 531
5 Minute JB Weld is my go to adhesive/filler for many repairs around the house. Plumbing, joining 2 different materials, filling in spaces, etc. Between that at Quickset Epoxy glue, I'm fixed for the Zombie attacks

Bister said:
I found a small crack in mine also. I used an epoxy product called JB Weld. I broke a cover right off on my shingle air gun and put it back together with this stuff and it's still holding. It takes a day to set up proper, but then it is tough stuff.

That jb stuff is awesome.

I wonder if hobby hot glue gun would work the same?

Mako79 said:
Bister said:

That jb stuff is awesome.

I wonder if hobby hot glue gun would work the same?

I have a hot glue gun also, I thought of that; but after seeing how it has held the cover of my shingle gun, that was in 2 pieces and hardens like steel and is still holding, I thought it might be the best to use. Also, being in a small town with no stores, and JB in the tool box, I was a no brainer. Lol :D

I tried the glue gun...
Just take the motors off before gluing as it can be messy.
Glue%20gun.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31