Cracked P3P controller - power button sunk

Reaction score
After 5 flights and lots of care and carefully storing it in the dji hardcase, my controller suddenly appeared with the Power button sunk. After talking to the sales person and being told the warranty won't cover for "misuse", I decided to open it and try to fix it.

To my surprise, when I opened it, all the plastic insets (where the screws go into) where cracked or with fissures.
The Power button and rth button has their housing cracked (very poor feeding BTW).

Turns out it was irreparable. Had to buy another one.

Anyone with similar issues?
Seems like the plastic is crappy.

Do you know if I can get a P3P controller shell ?! New or used, since all the electronics are perfect !!

Cheers

Vitor Damiani

Do you know if I can get a P3P controller shell
You cannot buy a new shell, but you should be able to find a used remote controller on eBay, here in the classifieds, or maybe at a repair shop. Another option would be to contact DJI and see if they'll fix it under warranty.

DJI needs to take notice........................there are many and I mean many over torqued screws in the bird and controller....

Did you buy from an authorized dealer?

Yes, yes yes. I have a thread on something that involves this very issue. Mine is a brand new boxed drone from Best Buy, it has new motors but it a W322A version quad, and the 300B version remote. I did the antenna mod on mine, and after the install noticed pieces rattling around and a screw even. Of course some on this site cannot believe it wasn't user error, even though these were screw posts that I had no business unscrewing or messing with. It took multiple fixes, and then when I thought it was good to go, the RTH button imploded inside the unit. This was a brand new, unharmed, not abused device.
If your going to repair it or out of warranty, don't use superglue, as it cannot be repaired again if it's superglued, plus it doesn't seem to work that well anyway. I used locktite putty. I built up the post that were crumbled, let it harden a little then put the screws back in it, once hardened all the way your able to then tighten them into the putty. I also fixed the RTH button perfectly, but there because trying to fix the button that way didn't hold with the small amount of surface area (it broke in the first time I tested it) I made a sort of bracket out of the putty.
So, I may sell this remote with the mod on eBay, it's not the prettiest fix inside, but at least the outside looks new, and it's 100% functional. To be fair, I will include details of me fixing some broken post and that it's now fixed and, at least can always be taken apart down the road to replace battery in future, or whatever, I really don't think once you've fixed it the way I said, you'll have any issues if you take your time. My RC doesn't squeak or...can't put a name to it, while holding it it doesn't creak I guess is what we'd call it. Before I fixed it there was creaking when adjusting my hold, and then the rattling of parts...it's nice and solid, and I've flown the quad about 8 times maybe more since the fix.
DJI didn't over tighten the screws, that's not it, the plastic on mine at least actually crumbled and was both thin, and weak. A bad run to be sure, but the good news is this, it can be fixed so don't over think it, you have a 300B and not the throttled down less power 300C, meaning not only are the electronics fine even though the shells suck, but according to the guys that know, each iteration of controller is less powerful, neutered if you will? If it was/is an "A" model with the Di'Vinchi chipset then even better.
PS: I've opened and been inside my remote so many times I'm a pro at this point lol. Be careful you don't pull any ribbons out, it's easy to do but once you do it, you won't make mistake twice, it's also easy to fix if it happens, as long as it's not superglued. I didn't realize a ribbon was pulled after an initial test, because it was the take video button. If it's a "play" button or gimbal dial or something it may not be so visible on a quick test, when done check ALL buttons controls.

image.jpg
After 5 flights and lots of care and carefully storing it in the dji hardcase, my controller suddenly appeared with the Power button sunk. After talking to the sales person and being told the warranty won't cover for "misuse", I decided to open it and try to fix it.

To my surprise, when I opened it, all the plastic insets (where the screws go into) where cracked or with fissures.
The Power button and rth button has their housing cracked (very poor feeding BTW).

Turns out it was irreparable. Had to buy another one.

Anyone with similar issues?
Seems like the plastic is crappy.

Do you know if I can get a P3P controller shell ?! New or used, since all the electronics are perfect !!

Cheers

Vitor Damiani
Why isn't it repairable? I'd fix it, well, I did fix it. I'd say I fixed 6 or more post, and the home button. I tried glue on the RTH button first, that way, it's unrepairable, but when using putty that hardens, it's easy to make a bridge, or support bracket, that will outlast the remote itself

Unfortunately there's no authorized dealer here in Brazil...

Vitor Damiani

Same happened to me . it IS a manufacturing flaw. And, contrary to some, it has happened not just a hand-full of us.

Attachments

• RC repair.JPG
    RC repair.JPG
    591.7 KB · Views: 292
View attachment 48818
Why isn't it repairable? I'd fix it, well, I did fix it. I'd say I fixed 6 or more post, and the home button. I tried glue on the RTH button first, that way, it's unrepairable, but when using putty that hardens, it's easy to make a bridge, or support bracket, that will outlast the remote itself
View attachment 48818
Yes it is repairable. I used small screws. But the point is, DJI should make it good.IMG_0207.JPG IMG_0217.JPG

Reactions: Dounin Front
This is a very common problem, anyone who works on these knows how often we find the part where the main screw goes in broken and cracked. Every controller I have done a dbs mod on has the issue. The plastic is too hard and needs to be made a little softer but this is always an issue with plastics made in China! They will never be able to fix the cracking plastic issues from shells to controllers because it's China they copy not innovative. And chemistry is NOT their strong suit so you just do the best you can. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: sonof40
This is a very common problem, anyone who works on these knows how often we find the part where the main screw goes in broken and cracked. Every controller I have done a dbs mod on has the issue. The plastic is too hard and needs to be made a little softer but this is always an issue with plastics made in China! They will never be able to fix the cracking plastic issues from shells to controllers because it's China they copy not innovative. And chemistry is NOT their strong suit so you just do the best you can. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Bingo!

View attachment 48818
How did you get the old antenna's out....

The problem is that virtually all the screw towers are broken/cracked. I tried using putty to remold the towers but it didn't quite work that well. Now I may try to design and print some out and try to replace them. If nothing works, I may even design a completely new shell and print it out. Dji plastic sucks big time!

Vitor Damiani

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers