Crack in p3p body

Reaction score
In preflight checks i noticed a small hairline crack in the body under one of the motors. Do i need to replace shell. This was flight 63 with the drone.... Will/should this be covered by dji under warrenty?
DSC_0031_13.JPG
DSC_0032_12.JPG

Remove that motor screw and check if the crack is extended down to where the base of the screw tightens. If it hasn't made it that far, it most likely will eventually if you continue to fly it as-is. At that point, the motor will start to wobble since it'll no longer be screwed down to the shell. That'll most likely cause the other motor mounting points to crack too. Eventually, the motor will just fall off mid-flight.

If the crack has not extended into the motor mounting point and you don't want to send it into DJI, you could open your shell and repair the crack with Bondic. Keep in mind that doing so will most likely mean DJI won't fix it for free if you decide to send it into them later.

Reactions: Digdat0
Remove that motor screw and check if the crack is extended down to where the base of the screw tightens. If it hasn't made it that far, it most likely will eventually if you continue to fly it as-is. At that point, the motor will start to wobble since it'll no longer be screwed down to the shell. That'll most likely cause the other motor mounting points to crack too. Eventually, the motor will just fall off mid-flight.

If the crack has not extended into the motor mounting point and you don't want to send it into DJI, you could open your shell and repair the crack with Bondic. Keep in mind that doing so will most likely mean DJI won't fix it for free if you decide to send it into them later.

MSINGER please correct me if I'm wrong, but if those are just surface cracks in the shell couldn't you use something like the aluminum strong arms to basically hold everything together, of course that all depends on if the OP is or isn't still under warranty and then DJI still may not replace it..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

if those are just surface cracks in the shell couldn't you use something like the aluminum strong arms to basically hold everything together
Yes, some people have done that and it would be an alternative to attempting to repair the crack.

If you can't repair the crack, contact DJI. Such crack will only worsen over period of time.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

It would be best to not attempt a repair if the OP is going to send it in.

You are right but we hobbyists enjoy repairing if we can :). There is a great fun in that. Yes DJI is the best resource to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
You are right but we hobbyists enjoy repairing if we can :). There is a great fun in that.
Agreed. I enjoy doing my own repairs when possible.

My point is that the OP might void his warranty by attempting to do his own repair work. He needs to know that up front before proceeding.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Thanks all for great information. I'm still under warrenty, dji stated theyll fix it. I will go that way since i am very concerned about safety and wont trust my fix over replacement with original parts (though it was an original part that took 60 flights to fail)

Question: can i help prevent this from recurring in the future?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4