Course Lock

bbfpv said:
Good tip Monte. If one thinks of CL like a giant wagon wheel laying on its side, with the center being where the quad is, and one of the spokes the direction the quad is pointing, it's pretty simple to figure out how to bring it home. The point of reference like a tree, building, etc makes it that much easier.
Your post is a bit confusing. CL does not bring the quad back home unless you and the quad are facing the same direction at startup and fly straight out in front of you . If then you select CL then and pull back on right stick, it will come back to the home position but that is a coincidence. It's not looking for home point. It's just going the opposite way it started off. The wagon wheel thing is better related to home lock with YOU being in the middle of the wheel and selecting Hl and the quad come back to you providing that was the takeoff point where it aquired CL and HL.

Monte55 said:
bbfpv said:
Good tip Monte. If one thinks of CL like a giant wagon wheel laying on its side, with the center being where the quad is, and one of the spokes the direction the quad is pointing, it's pretty simple to figure out how to bring it home. The point of reference like a tree, building, etc makes it that much easier.
Your post is a bit confusing. CL does not bring the quad back home unless you and the quad are facing the same direction at startup and fly straight out in front of you . If then you select CL then and pull back on right stick, it will come back to the home position but that is a coincidence. It's not looking for home point. It's just going the opposite way it started off. The wagon wheel thing is better related to home lock with YOU being in the middle of the wheel and selecting Hl and the quad come back to you providing that was the takeoff point where it aquired CL and HL.

Yes and GPS for HL.

Correct. Also if you take off at a angle forward and select CL...let's say forward and to the left and select CL and pull back on right stick, it will come back in a straight line but on your left.....not to the home point position.

You are correct, for some reason I was thinking HL as I was writing about CL. My bad, gents. I edited my original post so as to avoid any confusion and delay.

N017RW said:
A magnetic compass is all that's needed for heading indication.
Been that way for more than a millennium.

The Phantom has a 3-axis magnetometer.
That's why you need to calibrate, or rather compensate, in both the horizontal and vertical planes.

'Cross bearing" would be used to determine a position along a line.
Thanks for that; I have studied how a 3axis magnetometer works and now a understand.

First post - waiting on delivery of my new bird... pardon my inexperience, but I've done a lot of reading before asking. I believe that I understand CL, but I have one remaining question:

- I understand that CL will work in GPS and Atti mode, and does not REQUIRE GPS lock of >=6 satellites, but if GPS is locked and S1 is in GPS, will GPS actually be used to hold position along the CL course headings?

I think the answer is "yes" from all I've read and learned in the past week or so, but I really need to understand the complete set of parameters. Thanks in advance for your time reading and responding.

Mr Obvious
(have experience with Hubsan X4 as a training tool)

yes, whenever GPS is locked, the quad will hold position.

bbfpv said:
yes, whenever GPS is locked, the quad will hold position.

So, after reading and watching videos about CL for +/- 20 hours, my question was answered here in a few minutes! Thank you for your response; this forum is an extremely valuable resource because of folks like you.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20