Course Lock vs Home Lock

Reaction score
I've looked for examples of why/when you would use Course Lock and not Home Lock but did not find any good info. Would would someone use CL and not just HL?

I'm sure there are examples of how Courselock can be used. I think if you needed to view something from a grid perspective might be one. IE: LAYOUT of a building project. A football game, mapping an area...etc. Homelock has many uses as well, in addition to having the craft return to you, regardless of orientation.

I think it sunk in. If I'm correct does the direction in HL change as the flier turns? If so HL is dynamic based on the direction the flier is facing and CL is always the same.

In HL if the drone is to the North of me and I turn to face South, the drone still flies toward me when I pull the stick back (toward me). When in CL if I turn around the direction the drone flies you still based on the direction it was facing when it launched.

Now I understand RC's grid reference. CL is a fixed grid on the ground.

Let's say you power up your quad facing north and get the proper lights for course lock and home lock providing you are in naza mode and have IOC selected in assistant. Now take off and fly at a 45 degree angle to the left in front of you. That would be NW. Fly it out 100 meters. Select home lock and pull back on right stick. It will come back at the same 45 degree angle to takeoff point ..SE...until it gets about 30 feet away and it will automatically switch to CL and head South. Let's do this again but instead of home lock, we select course lock. Pulling back on right stick will make quad head South although it is far to your left. Makes no difference which way the quad is facing in either case.

I understand what each one does, how they work. What I was trying to figure out is why someone would use, let say CL, instead of just using HL.

Don't over think it.

HL is used by many to bring it directly home when orientation is unknown or it may be out of sight for some reason. I won't go as far as saying because of laziness but sometimes if you don't want to think too much just yank back on the stick and it will return to you in a direct line from its position. Not sure about any specific photographic uses but others may have something to say.

CL is more useful when filming and you want a straight path or orthogonal perspectives.

Ok. Let's say there is a bridge on the other side of a road you have no access to. It runs north and south. You would like to parallel the bridge shooting video. So...you start your quad up facing north and get hl and cl lights. You fly over to north side of bridge...pull back on right stick and the quad will fly south beside the bridge shooting video. At the same time, you can yaw/spin the quad all the time heading south paralleling the bridge. When done...select home lock, pull back on right stick and it comes back to starting point.

Actually it can be very useful. Even if you move from your original position, it doesn't know that and still does the same thing as I have described. Even if you drive to the other side of the bridge while flying.

Remember this. It doesn't make any difference if you changed YOUR position or the way you are facing with your controller. It looks at the position it started at. You can change your position, the direction you are facing etc...It does not look at where you transmitter is.

Next thing...if you get the last part under your belt .....you can actually change the course lock and home lock while you are flying.

I've only flown the Phantom 5 times or so and despite watching every video, some twice, and reading 1000s of posts, I'm still learning. There is just so much that it can do. Just switched to NAZA mode and have yet to fly with it so I'm trying to do as much research as possible.

Rest easy:
Naza mode + S1 and S2 in upper position is no different than 'Phantom' mode.

And with a bit of practice , using course lock you can fly forward and rotate the craft around its axis, you get some cool video doing that.

I use CL and HL for to different filming scenarios.

HL: Set home point directly above my subject. Back away from the subject a little ways and then I can use the left or right to rotate around the subject smoothly in a circle.

CL: Set a new home point facing straight past my subject. Fly past the subject by simple pushing forward and then you can just rotate the quad with the other stick as you go past the subject.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie