Course Lock - Disappointing in the Yaw

Reaction score
Upgraded to the new firmware with the IOCs. Was at my local flying field today in wind that I would call palpable but not moderate. Maybe 13kts sustained.
Flying course lock in to the wind and yawing to keep my subject in view, was disappointing as the PH3 wouldn't hold the line during the yaw. I did it with the wind the second time and it was better.
Now, I know what you're thinking; lousy technique, another idiot. Such is not the case as I have been flying DJI controllers for over 4 years now and on my Wookong-M it was rock solid and straight as an arrow.
Has anyone else played around with this? I'm not impressed with course-lock if this is the case. Not sure the PH3 has the necessary power to pull off this kind of maneuver.

Reactions: Shield2160
Course lock works well in my opinion but you have another option. Use waypoint mode. Select two waypoints along with the "free" option. As the P3 runs the course you can yaw on your focus point.

Tests I did before the "official" IOC firmware pointed to the conclusion that Course Lock uses Atti mode and wind drift is a problem. perhaps that was what was happening in the yaw. I'm going to try Waypoint Free as well !

That might be true. I am going to test it again.

Yes course lock has no GPS so track will depend on wind conditions, however free waypoint mode solves the issue and maintains track regardless of wind. Try it and you will see.

That said, you can make allowances in course lock when you have a crosswind. It's not a big deal, just need to apply a little aileron and elevator at the same time. It'll make more sense if you try it in a xwind. But if you want to only be concerned about camera panning using yaw, and let the aircraft maintain track, go for free waypoint mode.

Reactions: PilotHal
Thanks for the info guys. I'll get out there and try it again.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl