couple of questions from the P2 manual

Reaction score
Hi folks, just poring over the P2 manual in anticipation of receiving it and getting first flight underway. Couple of things struck me in reading what it says about compass calibration, and I'm wondering what the forum's verdict is:

1. The manual says "carry out the compass calibration procedures before flight." Do they really mean that the compass needs to be calibrated before EACH flight, or is it just saying that the calibration needs to be done before the fIRST flight, or something else?

2. The manual also says not to have keys or cellphones around when calibrating the compass. Do you folks really take your keys and phone out of your pocket and put it somewhere else before calibrating? How far away do these objects have to be? Is the manual being overly conservative?

3. I've seen two ways of spinning the aircraft to calibrate it. I've seen some people spin the aircraft alone, and some do what I suppose is referred to on here as the "compass dance", where they hold the aircraft still and instead move their whole body 360 degrees. Which is correct procedure (or do both methods work)?

canadavenyc said:
Hi folks, just poring over the P2 manual in anticipation of receiving it and getting first flight underway. Couple of things struck me in reading what it says about compass calibration, and I'm wondering what the forum's verdict is:

1. The manual says "carry out the compass calibration procedures before flight." Do they really mean that the compass needs to be calibrated before EACH flight, or is it just saying that the calibration needs to be done before the fIRST flight, or something else?

2. The manual also says not to have keys or cellphones around when calibrating the compass. Do you folks really take your keys and phone out of your pocket and put it somewhere else before calibrating? How far away do these objects have to be? Is the manual being overly conservative? ADDED: keys in my back pocket, Cellphone-turned off until calibration. :geek:

3. I've seen two ways of spinning the aircraft to calibrate it. I've seen some people spin the aircraft alone, and some do what I suppose is referred to on here as the "compass dance", where they hold the aircraft still and instead move their whole body 360 degrees. Which is correct procedure (or do both methods work)?
Compass Dance is better IMO and don't have to be passing the phantom one hando to other (I've seen broken prop because phantom fall down :lol:

Read my opinions in RED.

From what i understand you have to do it away from any potential magnetic fields including power lines, electronics, reinforced concrete, phones ect, so the best place would be to do it in the middle of nowhere lol, and don't forget to upgrade your firmware and recalibrate everything including your IMU. I'm a noob but been doing the theory for the past few weeks, i hope i shall be putting all this to practice when i receive my new shiny phantom later today, fingers crossed. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav