Couldn't fly today because of geofencing bug

Reaction score
I tried to fly my P3A today and was unable to. There are now 2 authorization areas here where I live, where there used to be none. These areas aren't even registered on DJI's advanced authorization map yet, and so I have to get authorization on the spot using the DJI Go application in my iPad.

Here's what happened: When I started the motors, a window came up saying I had to either use a credit card or get a code via cell phone. I opted for the cell phone option. When entering the code on the iPad, I made a mistake of some sort, and so had to try again. Upon trying again, instead of letting me enter a phone number, it gave me an "Upload Unlock Information Failed. Unknown error. Error ID (411)" window. When this error happened before, I solved the problem by shutting everything down (aircraft, R/C, and iPad), and restarting. After that things were OK. But today I kept getting the same error. You know what I should do? Thanks!

I just set up a new iPad for me tonight, and saw what looks like a toggle switch that you can turn off the geofencing... I'm charging my batteries so I can't check for sure... maybe it's not the same thing... maybe someone else can chime it...

I'd love to turn it off. The first authorization zone that went up around here is for the local hospital's helipad. The zone pretty much cover the whole city, or downtown anyway, and beyond. The second zone I don't even know what it's about. It just went up after my sep. 25th crash. I fly carefully and won't hit a life-flight helicopter or any other aircraft.

I'd love to turn it off. The first authorization zone that went up around here is for the local hospital's helipad. The zone pretty much cover the whole city, or downtown anyway, and beyond. The second zone I don't even know what it's about. It just went up after my sep. 25th crash. I fly carefully and won't hit a life-flight helicopter or any other aircraft.

Maybe your crash caused the second zone... just kidding....

According to the B4UFly app, I am in range of a helipad, but I can take off with no issues, and luckily I'm maybe 1/2 mile outside a 5-mile airport radius. I haven't flown in about a month, and I think there have been one or two DJI GO app updates since then. Maybe someone else knows about the Geofence setting...

Maybe I'll try B4UFly. Never heard of it. OK, I see now that it's FAA's application program that tells you about restricted zones.

Last edited:
I'll try! However, the b4ufly application told me I need to inform the "airport"'s air traffic control every time I want to fly. That so-called airport is actually a local hospital's helipad. The "real" airport is on the opposite side of town more than 5 miles away. Interestingly enough, the local RC club's flying field is right next to the real airport and has been there forever, or so it seems!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Are you sure you can turn geo off in all new versions of DJI Go? I've read it was otherwise.

Like I said, I saw the switch in my DJI GO, but I'm not sure if it actually does turn it off, I haven't used it yet. Was hoping someone else can verify...

IMG_0469.PNG
Like I said, I saw the switch in my DJI GO, but I'm not sure if it actually does turn it off, I haven't used it yet. Was hoping someone else can verify...
Yes, you can turn it off. Have to be Connected to AC.

What do you mean connected to AC?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Having your tablet/phone connected to your controller, and having everything on, including your Phantom, like you were actually going to fly it..

I tried to fly my P3A today and was unable to. There are now 2 authorization areas here where I live, where there used to be none. These areas aren't even registered on DJI's advanced authorization map yet, and so I have to get authorization on the spot using the DJI Go application in my iPad.

Here's what happened: When I started the motors, a window came up saying I had to either use a credit card or get a code via cell phone. I opted for the cell phone option. When entering the code on the iPad, I made a mistake of some sort, and so had to try again. Upon trying again, instead of letting me enter a phone number, it gave me an "Upload Unlock Information Failed. Unknown error. Error ID (411)" window. When this error happened before, I solved the problem by shutting everything down (aircraft, R/C, and iPad), and restarting. After that things were OK. But today I kept getting the same error. You know what I should do? Thanks!

And to think I was the only one to mention the zone issue. Glad to see you have a grip on things now!

Having your tablet/phone connected to your controller, and having everything on, including your Phantom, like you were actually going to fly it..
Thanks! I did that, and didn't get the same GEO section in the settings as you did. However, I got something different, that had to do with what to do with different types of restricted areas. I chose "ignore" for all 3 types (forgot what they were), and I was able to take off!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan