P3 Firmware Could firmware affect photo clarity?

Reaction score
My still photos taken by the P3S were impressively clear and crisp. It was a pleasure to use them as wallpaper on my iPad, they looked so good.

But recently....a month or two ago...the clarity degraded..the stills did not have nearly the same resolution that they used to have. I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out why photos taken in similar locations at similar times of day no longer look clear and crisp. Could this have been caused by the latest firmware update?

I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out why photos taken in similar locations at similar times of day no longer look clear and crisp. Could this have been caused by the latest firmware update?
Probably not. If it was, every user would be complaining but they aren't.

Probably not. If it was, every user would be complaining but they aren't.
Ah, yes, good point. Humm...I wonder if I somehow got something on the camera lenses ....I do clean it with a microfibre clothe each time before I fly.

Try to go for auto exposure and check if you get better results.

Ah, yes, good point. Humm...I wonder if I somehow got something on the camera lenses ....I do clean it with a microfibre clothe each time before I fly.
Try a still with the UV filter removed. And do a close inspection of the filter while it's off. I personally don't like to use the dry cloth to clean. Some dirt such as grease and oils that might be in the air just get smeared around and you run the risk of picking up foreign material on the cloth that could damage the surface. I go for the one-time use wet lens wipes.

Try a still with the UV filter removed. And do a close inspection of the filter while it's off. I personally don't like to use the dry cloth to clean. Some dirt such as grease and oils that might be in the air just get smeared around and you run the risk of picking up foreign material on the cloth that could damage the surface. I go for the one-time use wet lens wipes.
Good point about the lens cleaning, I will get some one time use wipes.

As for a filter, I am not currently using one so no possibility of it interfering with the picture quality. As an aside, the thing about filters, for me, is that I have read so much varied information about them I totally wouldn't know where to start if I wanted to use them.

No filter? Have you taken off the UV filter that came with the bird? Not recommended. It also provides mechanical protection for the actual lens.

OK, you've got me there! I thought the P3S did not have an attached filter though some of the other Phantom models do.

OK, you've got me there! I thought the P3S did not have an attached filter though some of the other Phantom models do.
Have to admit, I don't know about the P3S, I fly the 3A. If it doesn't, wouldn't be a bad idea to get one.

Have to admit, I don't know about the P3S, I fly the 3A. If it doesn't, wouldn't be a bad idea to get one.
Yes, I think you're right about that.

Well, I have a Mavic coming via Amazon, perhaps I should be shifting gears to that bird and educating myself on filters for it. As it is, the difference in filming with the Mavic camera compared to the Phantom will likely keep me occupied for a while!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20