Could a company make better P3 shells?

Reaction score
If a company wished to make better Phantom shells would it be legal?

There is a massive market waiting to be tapped IMO. I'd pay good money for a strong carbon fibre shell. Even standard thicker shells that don't crack.

Warranty voided, but in answer it's all time, money and total market potential.... most likely ~90 to 95% of the people would live with the issues as over time more damage would happen due to pilot error.

The other 5-10% are people like you or many here who want stability with the product

Anything is possible -- but, DJI does have a lot of experience making shells. I suppose they haven't perfected it yet though.

Here's an interesting poll on the DJI forum. Currently, 78% of people don't have cracks yet. If we assume that people with problems are more vocal than those with no problems, that 78% number is probably much higher than reported in that poll so far.

Last edited:
I really don't see any problems with the Phantom shell, for three generations it has been one of the most durable copters, my P1 droped from the sky at least 10 times, half of that on a very hard surface like concrete, and aside from some scratches, never got broken...

I'd be interested in a stronger shell. I happen to be one of the 20% in that poll that has flown and hand catches his phantom with no crashes. I have cracks. I thought I'd be able to fly this for years to come, but it's not holding up.

One of my arms has a pretty bad crack that started as one of those minor cracks in the stand off and spread. The other arm has the crack just like the other one that spread. So I'm looking at two cracked rear arms. No, they haven't perfected it.

The phantom 3 was a complete redesign. Molds are different from previous versions

Right now, I'm not flying it and waiting for product in the mail to repair it

First post here but I feel like it's a good one.

I have designed quiet a few injection molded parts primarily used in 3D printers. I had the opportunity to see the inside of the phantom shell and I'm honestly quiet a bit shocked at the lack of support in quiet a few of the really important areas.

These shell pieces could be made much stronger especially around the motor mounts and where the screws pass through the shell.

It's absolutely possible to design a better shell however what is your time worth and is someone else willing to invest in a mold? For it to be worth it the quantities would have to be several thousands and even then it would be tight.

If a company wished to make better Phantom shells would it be legal?

There is a massive market waiting to be tapped IMO. I'd pay good money for a strong carbon fibre shell. Even standard thicker shells that don't crack.
I was seriously looking into an open frame design. One looked good that had rods like the Inspire, so I could get the slight angle tilt in the motor mount. I was looking on Hobby King. Don't have any links, sorry.

My P1 has been through thick and thin with power lines, mailboxes, concrete and even my Jeep a couple of times and still has no cracks.

I am much more careful now with my P3, but it is more stable and easier to fly.

Here is a little video I made:

I'd pay through the nose for a carbon fibre shell. Take my money already!

I am starting up my own drone repair service. Send me your P3 and I will apply the below reinforcement method (not my idea originally) for $399.99. You pay shipping. 6-8 week turn around time.

2_zpsoneyb52j.jpg

I remember posting that link, when my warranty is out I'm having it, I bought my P3A from them too being local to me

To me there are a number of issues with that linked 'proposal'.

To start, I don't see in the photos good evidence of re-mounting the antennas and the battery.

It appears to be a half-baked alternative with lots of stuff to work out on your own.

TEHO

If you're talking about a copy of the DJI shell, only in CF that's a really bad idea. You would need an external GPS antenna to start with. Although CF is stupidly strong it can also be stupidly fragile if not built right. Also, the legs, as they are designed right now would be very difficult to mold and add a lot to the cost. I use to manufacture CF telescope tubes so I have a bit of experience with it. Now carbon reinforced, at the right locations would
Be sweet [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

To start, I don't see in the photos good evidence of re-mounting the antennas and the battery.

It appears to be a half-baked alternative with lots of stuff to work out on your own.

TEHO

Yes, I would like to see some reviews but haven't found any. Hope Doink makes one.

TEHO
Isn't that all part of the fun, you already have people modifying transmitters with high gain antennas and dual battery mods

If you're talking about a copy of the DJI shell, only in CF that's a really bad idea. You would need an external GPS antenna to start with. Although CF is stupidly strong it can also be stupidly fragile if not built right. Also, the legs, as they are designed right now would be very difficult to mold and add a lot to the cost. I use to manufacture CF telescope tubes so I have a bit of experience with it. Now carbon reinforced, at the right locations would
Be sweet [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
I think the idea was only the bit that cracks like the body, the legs could stay as they aren't a pain to change if required

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik