Correction on Re-binding New Camera/Gimbal Instructions

mfp

Reaction score
After a mistake in one of my flights, my camera/gimbal broke and so I began looking for a replacement. I started reading all the threads of replacement and repair, etc. Eventually, I bit the hard bullet of buying a new DJI after careful thought of going with Dronexpert's solution that isn't even on the market yet. That brings me to post this thread to help others like me who need quick repair without confusion.

Page 31 states:

6.4 Binding the Phantom 2 Vision + and the Range Extender
If the connection between the Phantom 2 Vision + and the Range Extender fails, or one of them needs to be repaired or replaced, a camera and Range Extender binding will need to be performed through the DJI VISION App.

Camera replacements are plug and play and do not need re-binding.

I know this to be true because I recently had to replace a camera/gimbal and I didn't have to re-bind. I simply replaced the camera assembly, connected everything, and it worked. I was confused by the other posts saying you had to re-bind, and was searching for why I didn't have to and kept trying to re-bind only to find out that the MAC address in the hidden network was the same as the MAC address in the binding area of the app.

After my experience and reading the manual (thanks AnselA), it seems to only be a requirement if the binding is broken (from malfunction) between the RE and the Vision +, not a camera replacement.

The fact that the original camera didn't have a QR code is another piece supporting the claim.

mfp said:
After a mistake in one of my flights, my camera/gimbal broke and so I began looking for a replacement. I started reading all the threads of replacement and repair, etc. Eventually, I bit the hard bullet of buying a new DJI after careful thought of going with Dronexpert's solution that isn't even on the market yet. That brings me to post this thread to help others like me who need quick repair without confusion.

Page 31 states:

If the connection between the Phantom 2 Vision + and the Range Extender fails, or one of them needs to be repaired or replaced, a camera and Range Extender binding will need to be performed through the DJI VISION App.

I know this to be true because I recently had to replace a camera/gimbal and I didn't have to re-bind. I simply replaced the camera assembly, connected everything, and it worked. I was confused by the other posts saying you had to re-bind, and was searching for why I didn't have to and kept trying to re-bind only to find out that the MAC address in the hidden network was the same as the MAC address in the binding area of the app.

After my experience and reading the manual (thanks AnselA), it seems to only be a requirement if the binding is broken (from malfunction) between the RE and the Vision +, not a camera replacement.

This is correct. I also had to relpace my camera/gimbal and there was no need to rebind. Simply plug and play.

Please could you tell me where you brought the gimbal and camera from.

mfp said:

Page 31 states:

Yes, I found mine on Amazon, the shop selling it is the drone pros. There was another shop selling as well, not associated with Amazon, but they were on backorder. I ordered it on Saturday and got it yesterday. Payed for the overnight shipping, which really ended up being 2nd day air. Oh well. I'm flying and filming again. Good luck to you.

My replacement gimbal/camera assembly arrives Friday. Thanks for the heads up.

I bought mine from Davesmotors.com. Also, AlleRC.com sent me an email today sying they had them in stock. $679

Thanks joefuller757

joefuller757 said:
My replacement gimbal/camera assembly arrives Friday. Thanks for the heads up.

I bought mine from Davesmotors.com. Also, AlleRC.com sent me an email today sying they had them in stock. $679

You're all completely insane spending almost or over $700US inc freight on a replacement camera/gimbal. You can buy a new Vision+ for under $1200US if you look around. Sell the one without the camera/gimbal to claim the majority of the money back. Probably end up with a brand new V+ for a few hundred $$$.
I also have a sneaking suspicion when the PV3 is released, it will have a completely different cam/gim set up on it due to the fragility of the V+, so the V+ ones will drop in price.

Thanks for the correction, mfp. It''s good to know that it's simply plug and play for if/when the time comes for any of u to replace the gimbal/camera assembly.

Personally, I don't think I would spend that much for a replacement either. I"d either wait for the part to become easier to get and cheaper through mass production.

Does anyone have any idea when this will happen? Why are the parts so scarce? Surely the cost will drop once the gimbal/camera assembly floods the market.

If DJI was smart and if there is a PV3 on the horizon, they would redesign the camera/gimble assembly on the PV2+, making several minor but critical changes. If they kept the components basically the same with the same connections, then you could upgrade the PV2+ to any new assembly if you wanted and without the need to buy a completely new PV3. Some might say that that would be stupid on DJI's part. However, I don't think they will make as much money by continually churning out new versions of the same product and at these high costs. They need to make their products expandable and adaptable. We're not taking about smart phones here, these flying cameras cost double the amount of even the most expensive of cell phones. They can't cater to the rich only if they want to grow as a company.

mfp said:
To each his own. I needed a quick fix so that's what I did.

I agree. If you're sitting with a bird that flies but the camera is broken, what good is it? The whole idea is taking video with the camera. Even if I could find a whole new unit at $1200, that's $521 more out of pocket to end up with the same thing: a flying, video-capable aircraft. Having a spare bird without a spare camera doesn't make sense. I've had some mishaps and lost propellers and even broke the shell. I don't need $500 of spare body parts sitting there when the shell is $59 and the props are $2.50. I decided to bite the bullet and get back to operational.

Paying $679 for the gimbal/camera has been a valuable lesson. I prepare better, practice more and avoid risky scenarios now.

joefuller757 said:
mfp said:
To each his own. I needed a quick fix so that's what I did.

I agree. If you're sitting with a bird that flies but the camera is broken, what good is it? The whole idea is taking video with the camera. Even if I could find a whole new unit at $1200, that's $521 more out of pocket to end up with the same thing: a flying, video-capable aircraft. Having a spare bird without a spare camera doesn't make sense. I've had some mishaps and lost propellers and even broke the shell. I don't need $500 of spare body parts sitting there when the shell is $59 and the props are $2.50. I decided to bite the bullet and get back to operational.

Paying $679 for the gimbal/camera has been a valuable lesson. I prepare better, practice more and avoid risky scenarios now.

Definitely agree.

joefuller757 said:

+1

On Phantom No 3. P1, feck reading the manual let's just get up there! Crash in the sea.

On phantom 2, practice recklessly, but practice nonetheless, ended up in a tree (twice).

On phantom 3, avoid trees, know everything there is to know about how it works, what to do if it decides to think otherwise.

So far, so good. V+ since April, all good so far. Never touched a thing except my hand and the air. Lovely; some great results.

CBS

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1