Correct workflow? Framedrops?

Reaction score
Hi!

I don't know if it's framedrops in my videos or some kind of jello effect giving me this look. It's not perfectly smooth as you can see here:
http://youtu.be/dN9aUOVytBc

My workflow for this video:
1. Shoot in 2.7k protune, 30fps
2. Import to GoPro Studio 2.0
3. Convert the video to 23,98 fps and remove fisheye. Quality is on high.
4. Take the new ".mov" file and import it to Final Cut Pro X.
5. Put the settings for project in FCPX to 1080p, 23.98fps.
6. Since the video is a little bit in slowmotion (30fps->23,98fps), I ramp the speed up to about 120% in order to get back to normal speed.
7. Does some color correction before exporting the video (master file).
8. Upload to youtube.com in order to get feedback what went wrong.

Maybe it's just a ND filter that is needed in order to blur out lagg?
What do you guys think? Is my workflow correct?

I'm no expert, but if you're dropping the frame rate to 23.98, you're dropping those frames forever. Pumping it up to 120% doesn't bring them back. If you want slo-mo at 30fps then you have to shoot it at a higher frame rate or live with a sputter.

Leave it at 30 fps all the way through the workflow. FCP and other editing platforms will introduce artifacts when you speed ramp clips, not to mention extra unnecessary processing time. Want North America NTSC compliance shoot at 30 (29.97) or 24 (23.98) and leave it there all the way through post. If you want European standards shot at 25 or 50 and leave it all the way through post. Hope that helps a bit.

I usually have my settings with 24fps (23,98) in Final Cut and the only option when shooting in 2,7k is 30fps, that's why I convert it to 23,98 in GoPro studio. I thought it would be better to match the project properties (23,98) with a file that is in 23,98 as well so that is my reason for converting. I should not do this then?

Final Cut's default setting is that it will create a project based on frame size and frame rate with the first clip that is dropped into the timeline. So leave it is possible and recommended to leave it at 30 all the way through post. Without getting technical, you are better off not modifying frame rates on the high compression Long GOP compression formats...

Rizzo Media Factory said:
Final Cut's default setting is that it will create a project based on frame size and frame rate with the first clip that is dropped into the timeline. So leave it is possible and recommended to leave it at 30 all the way through post. Without getting technical, you are better off not modifying frame rates on the high compression Long GOP compression formats...

Yes, I know, but how do you handle a file that is shoot with 48fps or even 60? Do you just drag these clips in your "30fps project"?
Should I convert everything to 30fps in go pro studio 2.0? Then I will have to speed those clips up again and we are back to where we started.

Here is my workflow, keep in mind I am in the US and deliver to US standards for all my projects.

Before I start shooting a project, I decide my delivery frame rate (30 for tv and corporate projects and 24 for more "cinematic" projects). Then as I am shooting, I shoot all clips at the project frame rate unless I want that particular clip in slow motion then I over crank the frame rate on the camera so when it is dropped into a slower frame rate timeline it will play in slow motion natively. If i was in your situation and had a 24 fps timeline and had a 30 fps clip that I needed to play at normal speed, I would just make sure I don't drop that clip into the timeline first and tell FCP not to conform the frame rate to the timeline. FCP has the ability to support multiple formats in a timeline... If I remember correctly the conform options are in the Inspector under the video tab when the clip is selected, but that is off my somewhat not perfect memory. Moral of the story, when at all possible, preplan your production and shoot at your delivery frame rate unless you want to over crank.

Don't do any frame rate changes in GoPro studio. It's only good for getting an initial color grade for protune recorded video. When you bring your 30fps clips into your 23.97 timeline , FCPX will default to adapting the frame rate unless you have it set differently. You need to set the speed to "automatic" for each clip which will reduce a 30fps clip to 80% speed so that all frames are played as recorded. The 80% speed has a nice effect of looking more like normal speed than slow motion. If you want actual speed, then you should shoot in the same frame rate or at least one equally divisible.

P.S. I would never deliver in 30fps unless shooting for broadcast.

24fps = cinematic, dramatic, emotional
30fps = 11 o'clock news and cheap soap operas

ianwood said:
24fps = cinematic, dramatic, emotional
30fps = 11 o'clock news and cheap soap operas

A lot of good information, and 30 fps is a broadcast delivery frame rate here in the US. However, those cheap soap operas shoot at 60i which gives is an ugly super smooth look.

Engan01 said:
I usually have my settings with 24fps (23,98) in Final Cut and the only option when shooting in 2,7k is 30fps, that's why I convert it to 23,98 in GoPro studio. I thought it would be better to match the project properties (23,98) with a file that is in 23,98 as well so that is my reason for converting. I should not do this then?

I'm assuming you have the Hero 3+ Black, since as far as I know, it's the only one that can shoot 2.7k footage. There are actually two 2.7k modes: the normal 2.7k mode is locked to 30fps, but there's also the 2.7k 17:9 mode, which is locked to 24fps. Aspect ratio is a bit different (2704x1524 in straight 2.7k, 2704x1440 in 2.7k 17:9), but you are able to get the different frame rates.

I'll concur with the other "changing frame rates is bad" advice from everyone else. There's no need to adjust frame rates if you're not doing any kind of time shifting, and even then it's a pretty tricky business to get it to look right. FCP is pretty flexible as far as setting up new projects at whatever frame rate you want, and (at least in FCP 7) it would ask you what to do if you tried to drop a clip with one frame rate onto a timeline with another (match the clip to the timeline or vice versa).

For what it's worth, I've found that the newer versions of Adobe Premiere Pro can handle the raw GoPro footage without having to pass it through the GoPro export utility first. I never upgraded FCP from version 7 to X, so I don't know whether it could handle it natively too, but I suspect it might.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20