Correct way to point antennas on P3?

Reaction score
Hi there, do you know the correct way to point the antennas when flying the P3?
I have them in a slight V shape with the flat sides pointing at the aircraft (longways) as if you are sticking your 2 fingers up at the craft.
Today when flying the P3 i kept on getting "weak transmission signal" at about 1500ft and beyond, what makes me think it was badly aimed antennas is because the HD signal was full beforehand then suddenly "weak transmission signal" but when i moved angle slightly it came back full again?
There is a video from Irixguy that says you should actually point the ends of the antennas at the craft, surely this is wrong? On the pv2+ you always had the side of the antenna pointing at the craft.
If someone could clarify please?
Here if you fast forward to 2:15 in the video he mentions it.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hi there, do you know the correct way to point the antennas when flying the P3?
I have them in a slight V shape with the flat sides pointing at the aircraft (longways) as if you are sticking your 2 fingers up at the craft.
Today when flying the P3 i kept on getting "weak transmission signal" at about 1500ft and beyond, what makes me think it was badly aimed antennas is because the HD signal was full beforehand then suddenly "weak transmission signal" but when i moved angle slightly it came back full again?
There is a video from Irixguy that says you should actually point the ends of the antennas at the craft, surely this is wrong? On the pv2+ you always had the side of the antenna pointing at the craft.
If someone could clarify please?
Here if you fast forward to 2:15 in the video he mentions it.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This guy is totally wrong about antenna orientation (IMHO, never trust a guy who wears funny hats ;)).

Please take a look on page 7 of the P3 manual. The antennas are at 45 degrees and slightly apart, like rabbit ears. Assuming you hold the transmitter at roughly 45 degrees, that would mean the antennas (flat portion facing the craft) are perpendicular to LOS. This allows viewing of the tablet while ensuring max transmission quality. If the craft is overhead, tilt the transmitter to keep it perpendicular to the P3.

P.S. If you are still having transmission issues, try shifting from auto to manual, select a different channel (lowest bar is best!) and decrease transmission quality to 4MB with the slider. RF interference like massive WiFi , high power transmission lines, microwave towers, etc can interfere with your lightbridge. Make sure you have your tablet in Airplane Mode. Turn off unnecessary apps.

Last edited:
Reactions: leglessmatt
LOL, the guy is clueless.

Reactions: Yeager74
Just as i thought, don't know why i was getting weak transmission signal sometimes, started at 1200ft or so.

The antenna field of a vertical antenna like this is similar to the shape of a donut.

So if you stuck your finger into the hole of a donut your finger would represent the antenna and the shape of the donut the strength/radiation pattern. Note that the bulk of the signal is off the sides and not off the end.

Now don't be licking your antenna the next time you fly :)

Reactions: Yeager74

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers