Correct Procedure Around Low Flying Aircraft

Reaction score
Living along the foothills we get a lot of low-flying traffic - usually rescue helicopters. Only a few minutes ago one buzzed my backyard no more than 300ft off the ground.

So if out flying and a low-flying aircraft comes through, what is the procedure? Land if possible or drop low and hover/keep still? It would be awesome to get a few hundred yards off to one side at the same height and video it, but I'm guessing that is probably frowned upon.

So if out flying and a low-flying aircraft comes through, what is the procedure? Land if possible or drop low and hover/keep still? .
To use your words......

You are not really much of a danger to a helicopter. The helicopter, however, is a significant danger to your Phantom.

Get out of it's way and fast. The rules are quite clear - you must yield to any manned aircraft. Since you don't know where the helicopter is going, hanging around to take pictures isn't such a good idea.

I have to deal with Coast Guard HH-60's all of the time. Anytime I hear one getting closer, I go to ground. Fortunately, they're pretty noisy.

Agreed...straight down is probably your best (and safest bet). I wondered about hovering too-but it makes more sense to actually get out of the way...but going sideways could be too unpredictable. The prop wash would probably mess you up if you got close enough before running it to it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic