Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Coronado Island - San Diego

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by San Diego Jimmer, Jan 11, 2016.

1. San Diego Jimmer

Anyone know if it's safe to fly on Coronado Island in San Diego? I don't see any restrictions on map but I'm concerned the Navy/Seal base will cause problems. Some gorgeous views there but don't want to fly in an unsafe area or lose my P3. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

2. ScatSpeak

Most of Coronado Island is within short range of Halsey Field and San Diego International (i.e. within FAA constraints of not flying within 5 miles of an airport). So, depending on where you try to fly, you may not even be able to take-off.

San Diego Jimmer likes this.
  3. Sinisalo

That is where I got married, it is very beautiful. If you look at San Diego in the Hover app the whole area would be considered restricted. My advice would be to contact the naval base and ask permission. They might say no but if they do say yes then they will tell you what you can and can't do. I have seen many San Diego "drone" videos online so I know it is not impossible.

[​IMG]

4. San Diego Jimmer

Thanks dudes. I'll post a vid if I can make it happen. Happy Monday fellas

5. Steve_in_NJ

Having been to downtown San Diego many times (OK fine, Comicon), between watching all the helicopter traffic flying at really low altitudes, and knowing there's an military airfield RIGHT there, and another airport at Imperial Beach, AND a major airport nearby, I am going to speculate that flying your quad on Coronado will piss off a lot of armed people in a hurry.

6. San Diego Jimmer

Steve - Comicon is awesome. Thanks for the info!