Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Professional Converting RAW photos

Discussion in 'Phantom 3 Help' started by Memtenn60, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Memtenn60

I have read that taking photos in RAW setting that you can do more editing etc in this format, so I took a bunch of photos for a friend while on vacation. My problem, I emailed them to him after transferring from my SD card as DNG files. He received them but cannot open them. I cannot find out how to convert DNG files to jpg files. Can anyone help? All I can find is programs like photoshop etc that are expensive.

2. tmartin62

They are an odd DNG format. I had to download the Adobe DNG converter and pick an old format so my Mac would open them. I think you can convert them to JPG too but you will not get the benefit of the raw files you mentioned.

3. III% Streve

They are intended to be opened with a quality photo editor. Something like Adobe Lightroom. If you don't have, or plan to use something like this then there really is no need to create the raw files.

swoopair likes this.
  4. Garrie

I use Lightroom to edit the raw files. Unless your friend does photography or appreciates having a raw file to edit, send them the jpg.

5. bbfpv

Not to mention the file size is 6x larger than a standard jpeg. Hope your friend doesn't have a data cap.

6. III% Streve

If you have a data cap you are doing something wrong!

bbfpv likes this.
  7. jhoke

You can also check out On1 Perfect Photo Suite (Award Winning Photography Software and Plug-ins - ON1, Inc.) ... It opens the P3P files just fine - I use it typically with lightroom - LR to manage/catalog, On1 to edit, tweak, etc.

It is not as powerful as Photoshop, but most people dont use 90% of the functionality in PS - and on1 is cheaper :)

8. Memtenn60

Thanks for the info folks. My friend doesn't know what I am talking about. I found an online converter for free, and not being in the photography business I will set my format to jpg and avoid the problem. Also will set video to 1080p instead of 4k as I have similar problems not being abl