Converting 4k to 1080

Reaction score
Any suggestions on a good converter or downscaling software? I want to make my 4k footage a little easier to share and play on multiple devices.

What platform are you running? What software are you using to edit?

Most of the editing software can encode to a more 'normal' format so you don't need some gargantuan PC to run it.

p3p. I just just started using power director 14, im pretty new to video editing. The footage runs pretty smooth on the ipad but lags and stutters on my laptop and i5 desktop. Plus the file size is absolutely massive for the 4k footage,

Try GoPro Studio. It's a free download from GoPro's website. Handles 4K and downscaling to 1080 very well and is easy to use. You'll need a fairly powerful computer. I use a late edition MacBook Pro.

Reactions: BigAl07
Try GoPro Studio. It's a free download from GoPro's website. Handles 4K and downscaling to 1080 very well and is easy to use. You'll need a fairly powerful computer. I use a late edition MacBook Pro.

I'll have to give that a try next. It sounds promising.

I'll have to give that a try next. It sounds promising.
It will do conversions to 1080p. The only downside is that you cannot cut/chop what want unless its recorded by a Gopro device.

It will do conversions to 1080p. The only downside is that you cannot cut/chop what want unless its recorded by a Gopro device.
Thank you. I've got several programs for cutting & editing but they are all on my "older" laptop which does not get along well with 4K video. I've got a new laptop that will handle the video but all of my "paid for" programs are on the older one so I need to resample down to 1080p and then use the other programs. Seems like a lot of work that I should just buy all the programs new and put on the new laptop LOL

Why can't you transfer the licenses of the "paid for" programs from the old to new laptop?
I could but I believe that would leave the software nonoperational on the old laptop which we still use a lot. Does that sound correct?

I could but I believe that would leave the software nonoperational on the old laptop which we still use a lot. Does that sound correct?

Yea, it does. Guess that's not a good idea. Unless you check the licensing of the software you're using. In rare cases you can install the software on a bunch of computers, but only use it on one machine at a time. Doubt that's your case though, but I've seen it...

I edit P3P 4K MP4 video all the time with GoPro Studio. Am I missing something?

Maybe I'm missing a few updates. My GoPro Studio 2.5.7 wont let me trim (the trim functions are greyed out). I can straight convert but I cannot trim.

GoPro%20Studio.jpg

Here is a shot of mine, and my trim buttons are active. But for the life of me I can't seem to find where I can get the version number of Studio! There's no Help-->About in the silly thing... Where the heck is it???

View attachment 35710

The video you have is from a Gopro device. It says GOPRO278.MP4 file. What I am referring to is NON-Gopro video like from the P3/P2 Visions.

On a side note, to find your version, go in control panel > programs and features. The right column should contain the version info.

The video you have is from a Gopro device. It says GOPROXXXX.MP4 file. What I am referring to is NON-Gopro video like from the P3/P2 Visions.

Oh crap. Sorry about that...

On a side note, to find your version, go in control panel > programs and features. The right column should contain the version info.

Yea, I should have known that. Thanks.

Maybe I'm missing a few updates. My GoPro Studio 2.5.7 wont let me trim (the trim functions are greyed out). I can straight convert but I cannot trim.

GoPro%20Studio.jpg
I'm running 2.5.6.75 Mac version. I'm fairly sure GoPro Studio doesn't care where the video came from as long as it's in a supported format. Wish I had a quick answer, keep looking!

That's where Avidemux comes in handy. I use GoPro Studio as well, but I recently crashed it due to trying to edit numerous 4k MP4 files without trimming them first. Avidemux allows you trim files (losslessly) without having to re-encode. This makes it easier to import and edit in GoPro Studio. It's also freeware.

Avidemux - Main Page

Reactions: Mako79
Best secret out there . . . Sony's Catalyst Browse. Free, PC and Mac, full 4k gamut color grading, transcoding. The sensor in the P3 is made by Sony. This software sucks the best out of it. Did I say FREE.

-- zigs

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik