Converted from Vision to an H3-3D Hero 4 Black setup

Reaction score
I just recently decided I wanted to see my GoPro replace the FC200. Luckily, I found a video in which another guy did the same thing and was able to successfully convert. DJI will tell you they strongly recommend against it and I think the only reason for this is that you need to make a small hole on bottom of the phantom a bit bigger to allow the top motor casing of the gimbal to poke through a smidgen. This is slightly dangerous only because there a few wires close to where the hole needs to be widened. Other than that though it was a breeze and definitely cheaper than trying to trade up for a new model. Now I'm shooting with a H3-3D and a Hero 4 Black and I couldn't be happier with the results.

BTW, I am also cheating and going against many suggestions about not using the GoPro Wifi App for flying but I am able to get away with it for now because the Vision controls are all 5.8GHz instead of the standard 2.4GHz that the wifi uses. However, this limits my range and when I am ready and have enough funds to invest in a FPV system I will also need a new controller so I can switch the controls to 2.4GHz since almost all the good FPV systems use 5.8GHz.

Reactions: Moonlight
If you switch controller and receiver to 2.4Ghz you will not be able to wifi for the GoPro.

If you switch controller and receiver to 2.4Ghz you will not be able to wifi for the GoPro.
Exactly, that is why I am not switching (unless I get a FPV system) so that I can still use the wifi for the GoPro.

Can you do a how to,
For those wanting to convert?
Or post the video you found?

Thanks!
And A+ on the conversion!
Keep us posted!

Take care, Fly safe!
J Dot

Sure. Here is the link:

Items needed:
  • GoPro Hero 3 or Hero4 (I'm not sure what others work)
  • H3-3D Gimbal
  • Phantom 2 Cable Pack Part 3 - need the 8pin 180mm cable to power the gimbal.
  • Hand tools (small screw drivers and hex keys to disassemble the phantom)

Optional item:
  • Tilt lever for the 7th channel on the back of your controller. (I used a small screwdriver for this but be careful because it slighly stripped out control on mine.)

Notes:
Before I installed my H3-3d I removed the wire that hangs out the leg and connects to the back of the stock fc200 camera. I believe I also removed the cable that controlled the tilt of the fc200. I then traced the whole in the h3-3d dampener bracket that mounts to the bottom of the phantom and I enlarged the existing hole on the bottom of the phantom to match what i traced. I also used a metal file afterwards because I enlarged it by using a razor knife and it wasn't very clean. There is some wiring in this area so you need to be careful when making the hole. The hole is needed so that the top metal cylinder (gimbal's first axis motor) can poke through a little. Running the new cable through the existing hole down the leg is a little tricky but the 8pin cable can be fished down there by kinda rolling up the connector and carefully pushing it down through. After installing the h3-3d hook it up to the computer and run the Phantom 3.8 Software Assistant. It recognizes the h3-3d and may have updates. I updated mine and it worked immediately.

Reactions: J Dot
Sure. Here is the link:

Items needed:
  • GoPro Hero 3 or Hero4 (I'm not sure what others work)
  • H3-3D Gimbal
  • Phantom 2 Cable Pack Part 3 - need the 8pin 180mm cable to power the gimbal.
  • Hand tools (small screw drivers and hex keys to disassemble the phantom)

Optional item:
  • Tilt lever for the 7th channel on the back of your controller. (I used a small screwdriver for this but be careful because it slighly stripped out control on mine.)

Notes:
Before I installed my H3-3d I removed the wire that hangs out the leg and connects to the back of the stock fc200 camera. I believe I also removed the cable that controlled the tilt of the fc200. I then traced the whole in the h3-3d dampener bracket that mounts to the bottom of the phantom and I enlarged the existing hole on the bottom of the phantom to match what i traced. I also used a metal file afterwards because I enlarged it by using a razor knife and it wasn't very clean. There is some wiring in this area so you need to be careful when making the hole. The hole is needed so that the top metal cylinder (gimbal's first axis motor) can poke through a little. Running the new cable through the existing hole down the leg is a little tricky but the 8pin cable can be fished down there by kinda rolling up the connector and carefully pushing it down through. After installing the h3-3d hook it up to the computer and run the Phantom 3.8 Software Assistant. It recognizes the h3-3d and may have updates. I updated mine and it worked immediately.

A+ Eagle Vision,
That is PERFECT! I love to see everyone doing these awesome mods, and a lot of my ideas are sparked from people like you, not scared to try something new, but all too often, they show the mod, but no info on how to! Some folks get lost in the research, and ultimately give up!
This is great, and a great way for our fellow pilots, to get to know their birds a little better ( functionality wise )!

Thanks again,
Keep up the great work!

Take care, Fly safe!
J Dot
:D

Thanks, I am loving my new setup and I am glad to help out. I have learned a lot from these forums so it is nice to be able to contribute some as well. Fly safe!

Reactions: J Dot
For anyone doing this mod as can be seen from the video that longer landing legs or spacers need to be fitted to avoid an expensive collision between camera and Mother Earth other than this it looks sweet modifications as a top of the range camera is fitted are the video results worth the expense.
Keep them coming as it makes a pleasure to read a forum of interest.

For anyone doing this mod as can be seen from the video that longer landing legs or spacers need to be fitted to avoid an expensive collision between camera and Mother Earth other than this it looks sweet modifications as a top of the range camera is fitted are the video results worth the expense.
Keep them coming as it makes a pleasure to read a forum of interest.

The longer legs is definitely a good idea. When not powered on, one side of the bottom of the camera touches the ground. However, when powered on it does not touch the ground but it is very close. Its fine for take-off. As for bringing her home, I never like to land on the ground anyway as I feel that it is just too easy for the bird to tip over so I always just catch her by hand.

Reactions: kennytt
So if I still want FPV with the GoPro I need to buy a FPV system? Also how do I know if my vision controller uses 2.4 or 5.8ghz?

It is on the back label of your remote
There is a sticker, look for operating frequency!

J Dot

Hi guys sorry to hijack thread as such. Brand new to this and need help bit confused at the minute. I've purchased a v2 flown it and love it but don't like the camera. I've purchased a zenmuse h3-3D gimbal and gopro3 black.
Can someone clarify the following points please
Do I need to purchase interference board and extra cable.
Will I be able to use vision app on iPhone to view
Will the range from GoPro to iPhone be reduced
If range is reduced does this effect range of the actual phantom.
Thanks again and a happy new year Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4